Anyone Else out there fed up with not being able to start a career in Helicopter Aviation?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not upset about what has happened to me and just about everyone else because of the economy, such is life. I am merely trying to shed light on many young pilots careers... or lack of career due to the lies we were fed and the over lending for flight training to young people from financial institutions.

I don't know about any of the rest of you and maybe I'm just alone in this thought, but I was told that the need for Helicopter pilots was great and it was a wide open job market. So without hesitation I did everything in my power to get into flight school, because it has always been such a passion of mine! What I wasn't told unfortunately is that their was a shortage of "experienced" (1000 hours of more)pilots and that is all any company wanted to hire, with good reasoning. I have had my Helicopter CFII for 3 years now which I procured through a Professional Pilot Program at an accredited Flight School. I haven't climbed into a single cockpit since the day I took my final Check Ride for my CFII. My flight school closed it's doors the week after I finished my program. I received my flight training through a loan, a very sizable loan as many of you out there I'm sure have done as well. I, like many pilots out there are now struggling just to get by in our day to day lives financially. I am still working the same job (which pays practically nothing) as I did while attending flight school, but now with a $60,000 flight school bill to pay off. I have sent in close to 100 resumes to flight schools and flight employers all over the country, but do to my low hour time and experience level I haven't been considered for one. I have done everything in my power to come up with ideas to get into the aviation business, but to no avail. I have been hit with a flight school bill that no one could possibly be expected to afford without a reasonably high paying job.

What I am trying to get at here is that it is unfortunate for so many pilots out there to be in such a situation as I am. I can't afford to seek more flight training to build hours due to the cost of paying off my loans for my original training and I can't get hired by a company to make more money due to my low hour level. A rock and a hard place is where I have found myself and it seems to be getting very crowded with the amount of people being placed here beside me.

I wish there was a way that Flight Schools, Aviation Employers, Insurance Companies, Pilots could all figure out some way to help all those out there in desperate need of a break. It is just a real tough situation from one end to the other and in an industry as booming as aviation you would think that a pilot who went to school and received all licensing and certifications he/she needed that he/she would be able to find a job.

If you are a struggling pilot that also can't seem to get their career off the ground in aviation, please share your story.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed at the ridiculously poor math skills in this country. Between the cost of flight training, the opportunity costs associated with becoming an instructor, the interest on the loans, additional costs like BFR's, medical certificates, flight instructor refreshers, etc, it is amazing that there seems to be an endless supply of idiots. Anyone with a higher than average IQ can tell you that the ROI (return on investment) for pursuing a career as a pilot is very dismal at best. Establishing a business plan to put that same amount of time, effort, energy and $ into something productive would yield significantly better results.

I'm not suggesting that you are an idiot, I'm merely suggesting that there is a real lack of integrity at the flight school level, of which you have fallen to the level of feeling like a VICTIM. My suggestion to you and all like you is to focus on the positive things like actually having gotten your certificates for your money, as opposed to those whose school closed and stole their money. Focus on the positive like being thankful that you have not lost your life in a helicopter, like some have. Focus on the positive like being proud that you set out to accomplish obtaining your certificates and ratings and having succeeded, which is not easy.

I understand your frustration, as I am in a similiar situation. At the end of the day the anger you are harboring is not healthy and will make you sick. Remember, no one can take away your certificates. Keep up on your CFI refresher and hope for a brighter future. Become an advocate for educating future pilot want to bees on the realities of the journey. I believe whole heartedly on personal accountability, as painful as it may be. Promote "chasing dreams" but educate others to proceed with knowledge of the pros and the cons.

I have commented here for years about paying as you go with out going into debt. Most don't agree and mock the idea, but you are living the proof of the outcome. We are in a Depression, irregardless of what the bobbleheads tell us. Good Luck to you and all, Fly safe, and watch out for the wires!

• Like 10

My suggestion to you and all like you is to focus on the positive things like actually having gotten your certificates for your money, as opposed to those whose school closed and stole their money. Focus on the positive like being thankful that you have not lost your life in a helicopter, like some have. Focus on the positive like being proud that you set out to accomplish obtaining your certificates and ratings and having succeeded, which is not easy.

I understand your frustration, as I am in a similiar situation. At the end of the day the anger you are harboring is not healthy and will make you sick. Remember, no one can take away your certificates. Keep up on your CFI refresher and hope for a brighter future. Become an advocate for educating future pilot want to bees on the realities of the journey. I believe whole heartedly on personal accountability, as painful as it may be. Promote "chasing dreams" but educate others to proceed with knowledge of the pros and the cons.

If you are not employed in this business and you want to be, I suggest you print this out and tape it to your forehead!

Good advice...oh yeah, and try networking a bit in the industry.

• Like 6

What I had to do was just hang out at the flight school for about a year washing helicopters for free, and I finally was able to get my foot in door. It worked and I was next in line to instruct when a spot opened up. I'm broke now, but getting by. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

I am amazed at the ridiculously poor math skills in this country. Between the cost of flight training, the opportunity costs associated with becoming an instructor, the interest on the loans, additional costs like BFR's, medical certificates, flight instructor refreshers, etc, it is amazing that there seems to be an endless supply of idiots. Anyone with a higher than average IQ can tell you that the ROI (return on investment) for pursuing a career as a pilot is very dismal at best. Establishing a business plan to put that same amount of time, effort, energy and $ into something productive would yield significantly better results.

I'm not suggesting that you are an idiot, I'm merely suggesting that there is a real lack of integrity at the flight school level, of which you have fallen to the level of feeling like a VICTIM. My suggestion to you and all like you is to focus on the positive things like actually having gotten your certificates for your money, as opposed to those whose school closed and stole their money. Focus on the positive like being thankful that you have not lost your life in a helicopter, like some have. Focus on the positive like being proud that you set out to accomplish obtaining your certificates and ratings and having succeeded, which is not easy.

I have commented here for years about paying as you go with out going into debt. Most don't agree and mock the idea, but you are living the proof of the outcome. We are in a Depression, irregardless of what the bobbleheads tell us. Good Luck to you and all, Fly safe, and watch out for the wires!

ahhhh, music to my ears.. great post sir.

NEVER, EVER, GIVE A FLIGHT SCHOOL A LOT OF MONEY UP FRONT…

dp

• Like 5

...it is amazing that there seems to be an endless supply of idiots. Anyone with a higher than average IQ can tell you that the ROI (return on investment) for pursuing a career as a pilot is very dismal at best...

...We are in a Depression, irregardless of what the bobbleheads tell us...

What does that say about the banks who lent us all that money to pursue this?...Hell I was one month into a five month, seasonal job, making $9/hr, living in my car, with no assests (not even that car), and they gave me 80K! I'm amazed the economy didn't fall apart sooner! :lol:

By the way, not to be that guy,...but, irregardless is not a word. :blink:

• Like 1

By the way, not to be that guy,...but, irregardless is not a word. :blink:

that guy! if you understand the meaning, its a word! well that and being in the dictionary helps too. :P

Regarding this topic, I doubt the OP or anyone in his situation will find any sympathy considering the investment is something you will want to have researched, to reiterate what others have said. I think carpenter said it best.

• Like 2

As you know I don't post on here very often. I'm 48 yrs. old, married, and 3 daughters. Did i go into this blindly? No. Do I get frustrated? Sometimes. But guess what, I passed my private checkride last Nov., have about 40 more pic hrs. to get for my Comm. and like others have said, no one can take that from me. Will I find a job, who knows. I do know never burn bridges in this industry. Since this is about helicopters, i will use helicopters and my current age in what my parents have told me my whole life. Do you want to be 55/60 yrs. old and have a chance to be flying, or sitting around wondering what might have been. Because Lord willing, I will be at that age and at least have a shot, instead of being at that age and still wondering, could I have done it. Just my two cents worth. Ozzie.

• Like 6

that guy! if you understand the meaning, its a word! well that and being in the dictionary helps too. :P

Up until these past few years or so, I'd never heard anyone use the word "irregardless", so I figured it was just illiterate slang,...I mean, come on, adding a negative prefix to a word that is already negative?

Anyway, you're right, it is in the dictionary, and one from 1963 at that!(I had to go to my parents to even find a dictionary).

It didn't have an actual definition though(not surprising), just a synonym:regardless(of course).

:blink:

Law of Attraction:

The law of attraction is a law of the universe that states that you will attract into your life that which you focus on. Sounds easy, right? Well, despite some of the programs out there that make it sound easy, it takes a lot of time and effort. And there’s one other huge component to the Law of Attraction which many people forget to mention – action! You have to take action. If you think great thoughts and envision those things coming into your life but you don’t take any further action, do you know what that makes you? A daydreamer! You must follow this up with action. It’s an important part of your portfolio to success.

Investing in yourself is crucial to becoming successful, whatever that means to you. If you don’t invest in yourself, you will not grow, and you will not be happy and successful. It takes hard work, research, making the right decisions. It’s a continual process. You can’t just make one investment in yourself and be done with it. You must always invest in yourself. If you do, you will grow and you will continue to move forward and become a better you.

• Like 3

Hey man,

I and about 1,000 others know exactly what you are going through. I have everything you have and on top of everything you have, I also received my aviation administration degree. I have applied for about 100 jobs in each industry throughout the US. I was able to get ONE PART TIME position at a tiny little airport in Colorado and I chose to take it. It's not just the helicopter industry, it aviation as a whole. Like someone else said, the entire country is in the crapper...Try not to feel too sorry for yourself because everyone has a sour taste in their mouths. Flight schools were eager to tell you how awesome the helicopter industry was, until you realized your instructors were sleeping in their cars...

• Like 1

I won't waste my keystrokes saying the same 3 or 4 things I always tell people. That said, we are on the brink of quite an increase in helicopter activity. Two years ago was dismal, Robinson went from about 800 helicopters down to a whopping 162 last year.

They started out in January with 169 ships in backlog, and they keep ramping up production as order backlog grows. The same is true for every single major manufacturer out there. Even Enstrom is cranking out helicopters with more backlog currently than the total number of ships they have built in about the last 5 years combined!

The price of oil is high, and that always leads to a lot of geology work, remote sites getting fired back up, and of course, off shore rigs. I am starting to see some shifts of people moving around locally and more operators looking for pilots.

Everything comes and goes in trends, we have a lot of economic issues in the US and California, but as far as helicopters go, I think the worst is well past us.

Goldy

• Like 1

Hey all,

Aleyeska Helicopters (Alpine Air Alaska) is hiring a CFI with 500 hours. This would be a great starter job with many longer term possibilities.

• Like 2

I'm commercial, instrumented rated with over 900 hours,and not even a CFI. If I had my CFI, I'd been pounding the door down at Alpine in Alaska the second I seen the want ad. The ad says CFII, but on the web site, it dosen't say anything about Instrument training available. Unless I missed it somwwhere. If not, then why CFII to get the job ?

By the way, I sold my business when I was told I had a job at one of the not so liked gulf companies as a SIC. I kept getting told, "we'll be able to bring you on next month", I heard that about 4 times. Then it went to , "we have to find the right position for you". I sold out once I was told I had a job. Then the gentelman that was suppose to put me to work, retired. The new guy wouldn't do anything for me. That was three years ago. Now I'm back to driving a truck around Michigan. I'm thankful I have a job. I wish I was flying somewhere, but I'm not. Not much I can do except keep moving forward and tell other guys, be careful before spending all you have on helicopters. I've built my time by delivering a few around the U.S. and dishing out lots of money.

What do you guys think I should do at this time, go to California and fly with the traffic reporter for 206 time or get a CFI ticket ??? I know it doesn't mean a job, but I need to do something to further this dream.

Thanks, Keith

I don't have any Robbie time. I was thinking of going somewhere in the fall to get a CFI in the R 44. That or 206 time. Whatcha think ???

The CFI won't be of much good if its just in the R44. You should get it in the R22, (or the S300, if you're too big for the R22).

With close to 650hrs, I'm considering giving the CFI one last try. I don't expect it to lead to a job, but at least I would be able to say that I hurdled that obstacle. ;)

Tuna Boat flying sounds a bit interesting, but like with AG, and Cattle Mustering, its hard to find a company that is hiring. :(

By the way, I have some 206 time,...its worthless(unless of course, you already have 1500hrs). :)

With 900hrs. Next February try Air Photo Inc.

Edited by r22butters

• 7 months later...

What does that say about the banks who lent us all that money to pursue this?...Hell I was one month into a five month, seasonal job, making $9/hr, living in my car, with no assests (not even that car), and they gave me 80K! I'm amazed the economy didn't fall apart sooner! laugh.gif

.... blink.gif

What does it say that someone in your position would then take that money! Like all those people who took mortgages they knew they couldn't afford, then damn near crashed the financial industry. Hope you are paying your loans.

What does it say that someone in your position would then take that money! Like all those people who took mortgages they knew they couldn't afford, then damn near crashed the financial industry. Hope you are paying your loans.

There's a HUGE difference between buying an education you cannot afford, and buying a house you cannot afford!,

Like a lot of people, I was making my payments until I lost my job!

So, who is the more foolish, the desperate poor (with nothing to lose) trying to buy a better life, or the mighty bank not bright enough to research the intended job market of a student loan?

We both gambled on the "pilot shortage",...and we both lost!

:lol:

There's a HUGE difference between buying an education you cannot afford, and buying a house you cannot afford!,

Like a lot of people, I was making my payments until I lost my job!

So, who is the more foolish, the desperate poor (with nothing to lose) trying to buy a better life, or the mighty bank not bright enough to research the intended job market of a student loan?

We both gambled on the "pilot shortage",...and we both lost!

:lol:

I don't see any difference at all - both taking a loan to purchase a product, in hopes of a better life. Not the banks job to investigate the job market for loans they give, especially since so many students change their majors. Not the question of who is more foolish, because both were foolish.

I don't see any difference at all - both taking a loan to purchase a product, in hopes of a better life. Not the banks job to investigate the job market for loans they give, especially since so many students change their majors. Not the question of who is more foolish, because both were foolish.

My understanding is that a bankruptcy won't discharge a student loan, and the student loan collectors have much, much more power than a bank.