MD Helicopters

Goldy

MD Helicopter  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which MD helicopter would you want to fly?

OK, so I'm curious if anyone on VR is flying any of the MD series of helicopters. MD600N, MD902, NOTAR's, 530's, etc. If so, what do you fly and what do you think of the helo?

If you could fly any MD helicopter, which one would you pick?

(Those that know me probably can figure out why I'm asking !!)

Just in case you need a lesson in the different ships, here is the website. http://www.mdhelicopters.com/v2/products.php

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 5

I wish I could tell you from experience. I was pretty close to getting to fly their MD902 with them to Orlando, but another student got the flight. I know she liked it but probably only has the Robinson to compare it to. But I put the MD600N, I've seen all those Brimm Aviation videos in their black one and looks sweet.

What no D model option?

I chose the E Model because I've never flown a NOTAR but I've heard they're pigs :D . Besides, how can ANYTHING be more fun than a D/E (with 2-bladed TR and improved compressor/N2)?

I suppose the D and E are too similar to matter. I suppose if you're 6'6", then it matters - I'm 5'8" and can't tell the difference (except for the pointy snout).

• Like 1

500 C.D. E. 520N hoping to try a 900. And would love one of those special forces MH6M

(The MH-6M mission enhanced little bird has a gross weight of 4,700 pounds. The stretched Little Bird combines the six-bladed rotor system of the MD600 commercial helicopter with a noise-reducing four-bladed tail rotor and a mix of engine and transmission improvements)

Am told the 600 is the least liked, the notar 520n is an acquired taste, but it is real quiet from outside, you have to anticipate a bit like helming a boat, you also require way more pedal than a normal 500, strange to start with but I am sure if you flew it regularly it would jell.

Tell All Goldy Is HJ asking you to fly his when he gets it back B)

Tell All Goldy Is HJ asking you to fly his when he gets it back B)

Nope, haven't talked to HJ in awhile...but its way better than that!

I voted for the 530F. I fly the MD500D and E, and I love them. She has an excellent power to weight ratio, good manueverability, and the systems are very simple.

Some of the tips I have learned along the way. I would recomend the Oregon Aero seat cushions though. Get the 1" because the seats are like lawn chairs. Also the side door vis/head room with a helmet and the doors on creates a blind spot so keep scanning for traffic. Spend some extra time on your preflight checking the pc lines between the FCU and the PTG as those have historicly caused some challenges. If you have the 4 bladed tailrotor you will have less tail rotor authority so always give yourself an escape route. Be carefull about storing unsecured items in the cabin. The back doors can pop open inflight alowing things like jackets and helmet bags to foul the tailrotor. She does not glide very far in the auto so keep your force landing areas below the top of the panel. Depending on how your trim tabs and overcenter spring is set the collective can tend to creep up when at high forward speeds so use caution and some friction until you get a feel for how yours performs at higher AS. If you are hot refuling take it slow as the fuel baffles tend to cause for backsplash if your fueler goes wide open. All in all I have found the 500 to be a lot of fun, and a workhorse.

Good luck I hope you enjoy it. What kind of flying are you going to be doing?

• Like 3

& lead with the thumb, trim is everything it makes for a relaxed ride, had a trim sw stick once!! had been warned about this possibility, on conversion, so all ways eye the CB for trim motors.

The bungi spring is one to watch with new \ refurbished blades but easy to adjust, had one that leapt off the ground like a rocket on pulling a bit of collective, the AP helped to hold it down to put it back on ground,don't know which one of us was clasping the seat cushion tightest.

It seemed ok until any pitch was applied then vertical, track & balance well within limits

Cummmmon on Goldy give us a clue?? cant be anything to do with

• Like 1

Most of my time is in Hughes 369A, I'd like to try a 530F. Something about all that power, even though I almost never run out of power in the 369A. Love the ship though. I agree with RTC about the blind spot (better with doors off), seats, and fueling and the doors do suck. I bought a $10 gel seat pad from Walmart that works great for long days. No hydraulics will make a man out of you also. ;)

• Like 1

Most of my time is in Hughes 369A, I'd like to try a 530F. Something about all that power, even though I almost never run out of power in the 369A. Love the ship though. I agree with RTC about the blind spot (better with doors off), seats, and fueling and the doors do suck. I bought a $10 gel seat pad from Walmart that works great for long days. No hydraulics will make a man out of you also. ;)

I have that same gel seat (it's actually a rubber waffle kind of thing). It put my ass to sleep after a couple of hours. It has a nice cover though...I use a self-inflating "camp pad" and slip it inside the Walmart cover so it doesn't slide around.

Cant be the 66 he has flown that, still reading the 500 FM ? or have you applied for job with PD.

What did you think of the DG to fly ? + - 5G if I remember

Scanning for you Goldy :o

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/LaCrescenta/1/show.html

Hey, that video is 5 minutes from my house ! Very cool.

DG is a great lil sailplane. I don't work it much since I'm not much of a sailplane pilot (yet.)but my instructor has done some manuevers that I thought impossible. I think its +7/-5G's..more than I want to put it thru.

We did a skid once where the wingtip was straight out in the direction of flight...amazing to fly at almost 90 degrees....like being in a helo! The ball was shoved over to one corner!

That 500FM is huge. I think I have gotten thru about 1/3 of it. Nothing is simple anymore!

As far as the post, just doing some research for the next one. Interesting results to the poll so far.

Goldy,

What's the status on you flying a MD product? Any new news?

Nope, just doing homework. What do you want to know about MD?

• 2 years later...

Hey, that video is 5 minutes from my house ! Very cool.

DG is a great lil sailplane. I don't work it much since I'm not much of a sailplane pilot (yet.)but my instructor has done some manuevers that I thought impossible. I think its +7/-5G's..more than I want to put it thru.

We did a skid once where the wingtip was straight out in the direction of flight...amazing to fly at almost 90 degrees....like being in a helo! The ball was shoved over to one corner!

That 500FM is huge. I think I have gotten thru about 1/3 of it. Nothing is simple anymore!

As far as the post, just doing some research for the next one. Interesting results to the poll so far.

I have about 60 hrs total in sailplanes with about 25 in Grobs and Jantars. I was starting to get into aerobatics when I started my fixed wing. Havnt flown a sailplane in about 15 yrs. But what an awesome way to start flying when I was 15 yrs old!!

I think the 500D/E is pretty overrated. The only way I would say it's the "Ferrari of helicopters" is that is has about the same size back seat, not to mention NO baggage compartment! The lack of hydraulics may cut down on weight and MX but it can be tank to fly when you are doing anything but straight and level (constantly playing with that stupid trim hat). Trim and bungie failures can be much more of a emergency than a hydraulics failure. The one I fly has THREE AD's I have to check and sign off daily. Nice. I sure haven't experienced all this power everyone raves about, either. If you like flying in transient power and temp land all the time, I guess it's okay. TR thrust is adequate, but nothing to get excited about. It would be the absolutely LAST helicopter I would buy as a private owner. It's a utility helicopter. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of, too. If your business involves any amount of passenger charter, it would be practically useless. To say I've been disappointed is an understatement. For any application other than hard utility, ag and line work, the 206 is a vastly superior aircraft. It's responsive, I'll give you that. My 2 cents...

Edited by helonorth