MD Helicopters

Goldy

MD Helicopter  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which MD helicopter would you want to fly?

I'll bite, I vote 520N, only because the only MD I've gone up in was my first helicopter ride when I first met my flight school's owner. After an hour or so of just helicopter chat, he goes "Wanna go up??" and there I am, in a 520N as a first helicopter ride (AND FOR FREE). Needless to say, I wasn't able to appreciate just how awesome he was treating me until later down the road...

I think the 500D/E is pretty overrated. The only way I would say it's the "Ferrari of helicopters" is that is has about the same size back seat, not to mention NO baggage compartment! The lack of hydraulics may cut down on weight and MX but it can be tank to fly when you are doing anything but straight and level (constantly playing with that stupid trim hat). Trim and bungie failures can be much more of a emergency than a hydraulics failure. The one I fly has THREE AD's I have to check and sign off daily. Nice. I sure haven't experienced all this power everyone raves about, either. If you like flying in transient power and temp land all the time, I guess it's okay. TR thrust is adequate, but nothing to get excited about. It would be the absolutely LAST helicopter I would buy as a private owner. It's a utility helicopter. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of, too. If your business involves any amount of passenger charter, it would be practically useless. To say I've been disappointed is an understatement. For any application other than hard utility, ag and line work, the 206 is a vastly superior aircraft. It's responsive, I'll give you that. My 2 cents...

As far as I am concerned it is a four place helicopter. 2 up front two on the skid. The back if the aircraft makes a great baggage compartment.

Yes, it is a utility helicopter, no bones about it. And it knocks the socks off the 206 in utility work. The lack of hydraulics gives you a workout every time you fly, but I enjoy it.

You are correct, that if your primary use for the helicopter is not utility you should look elsewhere. If you primary use is utility, look no farther.

I would not agree with no power or difficult to fly.

Best view of your load of any helicopter out there save the phone booth in a skycrane.

Smooth as glass if tracked properly.

Plenty of power, with a C20R or C30 you are almost always torque limited.

Small rotor diamater gets it into tight places.

Solid hard points for add ons.

Excellant crash survivability.

It does well in the field from a maintnace standpoint as well.

You do have to work to fly it, (higher control pressures) but it listens beautifully

• Like 2

I fly D/E models and have to agree with 500F's post above. I like the aircraft a lot and it is perfect for the line work I do. I'd like to try out the F model for shits and giggles.

Excellant crash survivability.

This should be the most significant concern for pilots. However, most look for the bling…..

I sign off 3 AD’s on our 350…. Then again, AD sign offs are a part of this business so what’s it matter if it’s 1 or 5?

I fly for a living and I’ll never own a helicopter for personal use… If I did have that kind of cash, I’s steer clear of such a lousy investment like a helicopter….

Depending on the task, 500’s are great machines but are poorly supported. Flying the coolie is just another part of the machine….

Edited by Spike

All the little things start to add up. If you're not doing line work, buy something else. Yeah, it does crash pretty good. I would disagree that my primary concern as a pilot should be crashworthiness. I don't know what you mean about "bling". If you want to fly around in an underpowered, uncomfortable and limited use helicopter forever because it crashes good, knock yourself out. To me, getting the job with the greatest safety margin is better than a dangerous job in a helicopter that crashes well. Yes, I believe twin engine IFR is the best way to stay in one piece in this business. Not much fun, though.

Edited by helonorth

I fly an 600N... Sucks going back and forth between hydraulics and no hyd.. But love flying the 600

You are the first person I have ever heard say that they like the 600N. I don't have time in it, but most 600 pilots I know celebrated when it was sold. It doesn't sound like many 600s are still being operated.

I really like the 500 E/D. I think it would be my favorite helicopter if there was a update to compete with Eurocopter. Maybe add hydraulics, AC, FLI and use some composits to offset for the added weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I am transitioning into Jet Rangers and Hueys..... Id take a 500 any day over a Jet Ranger. As a pilot that is. Being a passenger in a 500 sucks. I have 1100hrs in 500Es and about 5 in Jet Rangers. Who knows..... maybe Ill change my mind in a couple months. Ill report back when I decide. The UH1H on the other hand.... Ill take that anyday!

• Like 1

Holy Crap! Talk about ressurecting a post from the dead! At the time, I was going to do a story on MD and the owner Lyn Tilton, along with a flight review of the 902.......needless to say, owners change, editors change and that story never happened.

I know a few 520N owners that dig the ship, only one 600 pilot that liked his.....he said you either love the 600, or you hate it...there is no in between!

I called and asked md about that once..... the 600 with a tail rotor. the engineer talked about CG issues because the NOTAR boom a is a lot heavier that a traditonal boom. plus there wasnt a market for it. They would he competing with the 407 at that point for that size of helo, and then would also be very close to competing with their own 900 series as well. he said the nitch for it just didnt justify the millions in engineering.

First MD product I have flown, so maybe it's a matter of not knowing any better. I really do love it though, especially once I got use to it.

You are the first person I have ever heard say that they like the 600N. I don't have time in it, but most 600 pilots I know celebrated when it was sold. It doesn't sound like many 600s are still being operated.

I really like the 500 E/D. I think it would be my favorite helicopter if there was a update to compete with Eurocopter. Maybe add hydraulics, AC, FLI and use some composits to offset for the added weight.

• 4 years later...