Border Patrol Questions

Hello everybody, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions here.

I have been looking at joining the Border Patrol, and have a few questions that hopefully some people might know the answers to. I read the posts here, and have looked at the border patrol website for much of my information but had a few more questions.

Here is my background, in case it matters.

Prior military, but all flight time civilian.

Experience exceeds their posted requirements.

Married, my wife also qualifies for the job.

The pilot jobs that they are posting for are all dual rated pilot positions. I was wondering if the pilots are required to fly both types of aircraft on a daily basis, or if they are assigned to a particular type of aircraft. And, if they are assigned to one particular type, how easy is it to transfer to the other type? For example, flying the MD 500, and then wanting to switch to the Citation II. Does this all depend on what aircraft are stationed at which base, or are there too many variables to even come up with any sort of answer?

How about the work schedule, I have not located a place that says anything besides "flexible" yet. 7/7, 14/14, 5/2 or is it completely random dependent on base location and aircraft mission type?

How easy is it to transfer between bases? For example, if I get stuck in San Diego, how long does it take before I can request El Centro?

Should I join with my wife, or should I join first using military preference and then try to get her on? And, if we do join together, what are the chances of being stationed at the same location?

How about the job itself, are there any major highs or lows? Lots of flying, or none at all, horrible politics, kidnapping, getting shot excessively, paperwork, etc?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I am going to call the recruiter with the same questions, but I have heard stories about recruiters and used car salesmen.

Thank you all for your time.

Hello everybody, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions here.

I have been looking at joining the Border Patrol, and have a few questions that hopefully some people might know the answers to.

I assume you mean to join CBP as a pilot (Air Interdiction Agent), not the Border Patrol as an Agent.

The pilot jobs that they are posting for are all dual rated pilot positions. I was wondering if the pilots are required to fly both types of aircraft on a daily basis, or if they are assigned to a particular type of aircraft. And, if they are assigned to one particular type, how easy is it to transfer to the other type?

CBP pilots can be rated in up to three different aircraft at any given time, and will fly any of those aircraft depending on the mission. So, depending on the aircraft mix at the Branch you're assigned to, you might fly the AStar, Citation, and Cessna 210. Or maybe the Blackhawk and Pilatus. It just depends.

How about the work schedule, I have not located a place that says anything besides "flexible" yet. 7/7, 14/14, 5/2 or is it completely random dependent on base location and aircraft mission type?

This is a civilian organization, not the military. Coming from the military, I know you have some preconceived notions of what CBP might be like, but you should put them to pasture. It's basically a 9 to 5 weekday gig. The "normal" schedule is 5 days on and 2 days off. You'll work an 8 hour duty day and also 2 hours AUO (availability pay). Availability time also covers any extra days or hours you might have to work due to operational needs.

How easy is it to transfer between bases?

I don't know.

Should I join with my wife, or should I join first using military preference and then try to get her on? And, if we do join together, what are the chances of being stationed at the same location?

Everyone gets hired on their own merits, so you won't be able to help your wife get hired later on. Since it could take as long as 2 years from the day you apply to the day you're hired, you might as well both apply at the same time. You have no say in what Branch you will be assigned to, but if you (or your wife) are offered a Branch you don't want, you can decline the offer.

How about the job itself, are there any major highs or lows? Lots of flying, or none at all, horrible politics, kidnapping, getting shot excessively, paperwork, etc?

You will fly. How much depends on the Branch, aircraft, mission, etc. Office politics happen everywhere. Again, it depends on the Branch, people, personalities, etc. It's a government job so you can count on some paperwork and additional duties too. Kidnapping and getting shot happen in the movies - not so much in real life. Like any law enforcement job, the risk is there, but it's not high.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I am going to call the recruiter with the same questions, but I have heard stories about recruiters and used car salesmen.

CBP recruiters are not like military recruiters. It is a very highly sought after job and they are looking for the best qualified applicants. The competition is fierce and the recruiter will most likely tell you exactly the way it is - no more and no less.

Best of luck to you both.

• 1 year later...

Im not a CBP pilot, but I have looked at them quite a bit, and work with them a fair amount. Its not a "recruiter" like you are thinking. Think of them more as an Information Officer. They dont bring you in and sign you up, and walk you through the process. Applying and getting through the process is pretty much up to you. You are going to find getting into LE, Fed State or local is about as self initiative based as you can get. They aren't hurting for applicants. I can tell you that much. Not saying you are in this boat, but Ive met a couple of R-22 drivers who though CBP was their ticket to learning how to fly UH-60s. Somewhere along the process they have all moved on and lost interest. I was looking into it a couple years ago. Ive been an LE fixed wing and helicopter pilot for a few years now. The first question I was asked was if I was type rated in the P3 Orion. :D

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

So are all aviation assets now with CBP? I know it used to say border patrol on the side of the little birds, but now it all seems to be CBP. I've got a good bit of time in the 60, and the 206 as I fly both on a regular basis, young, and willing to live in a not so great place to get into this career. Are they willing to hire a rotary guy or does it have to be dual rated?

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/15744-special-agent-job-announcement/

We had a similar discussion not to long ago. I dont want to offer much because I dont fly for them. I work for a Sheriff. But I believe Border Patrol has merged and its all CBP Air and Marine now. But there are others here who have first hand info.

So are all aviation assets now with CBP? I know it used to say border patrol on the side of the little birds, but now it all seems to be CBP. I've got a good bit of time in the 60, and the 206 as I fly both on a regular basis, young, and willing to live in a not so great place to get into this career. Are they willing to hire a rotary guy or does it have to be dual rated?

You should visit aptap.org... :)