ELTs fun but useless info?

rodrop

Found this useless but kind of interesting piece of information in the AIM today.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires 406 MHz ELTs be registered with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap6/aim0602.html

Yes they do. All the info is in the box when you buy your new ELT. That allows me to call your butt and get you out of bed at 3 am when your ELT gets activated when your ship is in the hangar. It allows tells rescue teams who they are searching for when you go down.

Way better than the old 121.5 stuff, but as always, huge mismanagement between the FCC and FAA on implementing the new technologies.

• Like 1

Yes they do. All the info is in the box when you buy your new ELT. That allows me to call your butt and get you out of bed at 3 am when your ELT gets activated when your ship is in the hangar. It allows tells rescue teams who they are searching for when you go down.

Way better than the old 121.5 stuff, but as always, huge mismanagement between the FCC and FAA on implementing the new technologies.

Does that happen often?

• 2 months later...
Does that happen often?

Yes, all the time. I've picked up two ELT's while flying just in the last couple of weeks. While some ELT's continue to broadcast on 121.5, making finding them locally easier, not all do. The nature of the newer 406 ELT's means less false alarms and easier tracking for those that do broadcast.

I've chased down hundreds of ELT's over the years, most of them the result of shop work, hard landings, or other reasons not related to an actual disaster or crash.

• Like 1

I know that the Cost Guard will not search for a non registered device that has been activated. As least for boats with 406 EPIRB's, not sure what the deal is with aircraft.

Edited by Snowman

I know that the Cost Guard will not search for a non registered device that has been activated. As least for boats with 406 EPIRB's, not sure what the deal is with aircraft.

That' scary. I'll check with a CG buddy of mine. I know LA Sheriff will still search down any ELT we are advised of....usually those that are thought to be in remote areas of LA. Even a 406 Mhz EPIRB still puts out a local 121.500 ELT signal as well as the the 406Mhz satellite distress signal, so it would be worth tracking any 121.5 source.