NAVY SAR AIRCREWMAN TO CIVILIAN

Trap

I am a US NAVY Helicopter Aviation Systems Warfare Operator (AWS) Aircrewman and I have about five months left of my six year enlistment. I am very interested in getting out only if I can find a job in the civilian world that allows me to continue what I do now. I have many qualifications, below are a few;

-1300 hours, MH60S

-Search and Rescue Swimmer

-Direct Deployment

-Utility Crewman

-Crew Chief

-M240D Ariel Door Gunner

-Functional Check Flight Aircrewman

-NVD Aircrewman 300 Hrs.

-VERTREP

-Air Capable Ships

-Tactics Qualifications Special Warfare

-Plane Captain

-FLIR

If anyone could give me any advice as to where to possibly look for jobs pertaining to these skills it would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I am a US NAVY Helicopter Aviation Systems Warfare Operator (AWS) Aircrewman and I have about five months left of my six year enlistment. I am very interested in getting out only if I can find a job in the civilian world that allows me to continue what I do now. I have many qualifications, below are a few;

-1300 hours, MH60S

-Search and Rescue Swimmer

-Direct Deployment

-Utility Crewman

-Crew Chief

-M240D Ariel Door Gunner

-Functional Check Flight Aircrewman

-NVD Aircrewman 300 Hrs.

-VERTREP

-Air Capable Ships

-Tactics Qualifications Special Warfare

-Plane Captain

-FLIR

If anyone could give me any advice as to where to possibly look for jobs pertaining to these skills it would be much appreciated.

The Dept of Homeland Security (DHS) Air and Marine unit seems like it would be a good fit for you.

• 4 weeks later...

You might look into a job flying with Blackwater or Presidential Airways or whatever they call themselves. A buddy of mine got out of the Army as a -60 crew chief and has spent the last few years deploying with Blackwater as a door gunner on their little birds. Pretty sure he makes what I would consider a ton of money during deployments, but then again a contractor job like that might not be your idea of civilian work.

As mentioned above Priority 1 Air Group would be a good fit for your experience. Apparently a lot of former swimmers or flight mechs from the USCG have gotten jobs with them doing SAR work in the Gulf area.

A small contract company that flies Russian helicopters out of FL has hired some military crew chiefs as aircrew. (http://www.ptifl.com)

Again already mentioned above is CBP Office of Air and Marine. They have Air Interdiction Agents that do some cool LE work while still flying around in Blackhawks. However, last I looked into this I was under the impression all the crew members, including the AIA's in the back seasts, were pilots.

Another company to look at is Brainerd Helicopters (www.firehawkhelicopters.com) in FL, they fly the Firehawk civilian variant of the -60. I'm not entirely sure whether their mechanics actually fly with the helicopter or only drive out in the field as ground support. Either way, might be worth a look.

This company AAR Corp. (http://employment.aarcorp.com) appears to be connected with Presidential Airways/Blackwater. The job page shows pilot positions for some medium-heavy helicopters, might check to see if they have aircrew positions as well... I have no idea if they do or not.

Oops, a few weeks late for a helicopter winch operator job in Tanzania. (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/jobs/cabin_crew/africa/wich_operators_permanent_tanzania-102159.html)

Anyways, these were just a few ideas I could think off. My understanding is that most civilian jobs relating to helicopter aircrew will focus on mechanic or A&P work. Most law enforcement and SAR jobs will train from within their agency to fulfill those roles. If you wanted to fight fires maybe you could look into heli-tack jobs flying for the USFS? For such a small community of civilian jobs the whole "it's who you know" idea probably applies to trying to get those jobs. Depending on your circumstances maybe you would be interested in using the GI Bill to pay for helicopter flight training and then go the pilot route. Having your background would help you stand out from a lot of other civilian helicopter pilots.