List of civilian hiring units?

BigBird7

DHS - CBP Air Wing hires Civilians direct to the operation but you will become a Federal LEO during the process.

I would call around to the units you are interested in. Unfortunately, many of the larger LE operators are staffed internally and not by civilians. One of the bigger issues as well is turnover... Most folks stay 10 to 20 years!

I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Like 1

DHS - CBP Air Wing hires Civilians direct to the operation but you will become a Federal LEO during the process.

I would call around to the units you are interested in. Unfortunately, many of the larger LE operators are staffed internally and not by civilians. One of the bigger issues as well is turnover... Most folks stay 10 to 20 years!

I'm one of the lucky ones.

In law enforcement aviation these days, it seems the civilian pilot is the first to go. When your in a dept of sworn officers, the civilian pilot can be a lonely place to be when budgets start getting looked at. Especially if you are in a mixed sworn/civ unit.

Utah highway patrol i know hires civilian their current full time pilot was civilian trained and he flies their astar out of slc. great guy, did ems for a while.

I was in Utah on a case and asked. Their preference is sworn. But if they lack any qualified trooper pilots, they will contract out to civilian pilots. But I dont believe they are full time employees of the UHP. That was what I was told by a UHP Sgt about 6 months ago. But who knows, he wasnt an air unit member. Rumors about how ASU operates, even within your own department can be pretty funny once the rumor makes its way back to the hangar.

In law enforcement aviation these days, it seems the civilian pilot is the first to go. When your in a dept of sworn officers, the civilian pilot can be a lonely place to be when budgets start getting looked at. Especially if you are in a mixed sworn/civ unit.

We have 6 pilots. 4 civilian and 2 sworn. Main reason is for State medevac hour requirments. We dont have an aircraft availble for patrol guys to transfer up here and build time. Just too cost prohibitive. It would also be a big jump to fly the 429 with a fresh commercial certificate...

Just FYI to all of those who may have read the previous post. I did not submit this post and just found out about it. I sincerely apologize if it offended anyone, in particular anyone at the UHP/DPS Air bureau.

• 3 months later...

The Sonoma County Sheriff's Office (Northern California) hires civilian pilots. They don't have sworn pilots. Their civilian pilot(s) is a county employee so they get county benefits.

They fly a Bell 407 and do search and rescue, law enforcement missions, firefighting, and ALS medical transports. All of their rescues, which include mountainous terrain and the ocean are done by long line using vertical reference. They even do long line rescues at night.

Their crew consists of a pilot, TFO (sworn Deputy Sheriff) and a paramedic.

Check out their website (henry1.com) for more info and some videos of what they do. Defintately a well respected and highly trained unit that stays busy.

Nashville PD hires civilian pilots. The requirements are 1000hrs TT with 500 turbine, and experience preferred in MD500 or OH-58. I am one of their civilian pilots, and work alongside the sworn guys just fine. I was worried there would be a "barrier" between the two groups, but havent experienced one so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a list of law enforcement aviation units that accept civilian pilots.

I have:

Maryland State Police

Fairfax county

DPS

can anyone add to this list?

Thank you!

Add SkyKnight- LASD Lakewood, Ca.- 300C for many years now.

Civilian pilot, LASD deputy Tactical Flight Deputy

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sky-Knights/Schweizer-300C-(269C)/0450179/&sid=e8bc77fb6c66c66bb5d49cfd6c41a554

http://www.lakewoodcity.org/49andcounting/Gallery_7/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

If Im not mistaken though, arent they all part-time contract pilots with Sky Knight? Meaning your not going to make a living working for Sky Knight. Could be wrong.

I know the Chief Pilot is a full time guy. Not sure about the rest.

If you have 500 hours TT and 100 hrs R44 time, one of our local PD's is looking for civilian pilots right now.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I spoke with every LE agency I could find in Florida, and there were one or two agencies that told me they used civilain non-sworn pilots. Unfortunately, I can't remember now who those agencies were.

I spoke with a crewmember from Fairfax County PD at Heli-Expo earlier this month, and indeed she said they used civilain pilots. As I recall the position was open to sworn officers, but the insurance program they were under had high hour requirements. Due to that they have trouble finding qualified officers, so then they turn to civilian applicants. I remember thinking the hour requirement was astronomical (to me anyways), maybe 2,000? I'm also pretty sure I was told ALL their civilian pilots were prior service military, and a couple had A LOT of flying experience. Very friendly and helpful crew though when I was asking a million questions about their unit.

I'll include the results I got from a search of ALEA's database, querying units where "Helicopter PICs are pilots required to be sworn LEOs:No"

Calgary Police Service

Mohave County Sheriff Office

Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Vancouver

Kern County Sheriffs Department

Placer County Sheriff's Department

Garda Air Support Unit

Manatee County Sheriff's Office

Maryland State Police

Desoto County Aviation Unit

ALBUQUERQUE POLICE DEPARTMENT

Washoe County Sheriff's Office

New York State Police

Bryan County Sheriff's Office

Charleston Police Department

Virginia Airborne Search & Rescue Squad

I was going to ask, but think I just figured it out, FTDA = Full TouchDown Autorotation?

Edited by rjl2001

I spoke with a crewmember from Fairfax County PD at Heli-Expo earlier this month, and indeed she said they used civilain pilots. As I recall the position was open to sworn officers, but the insurance program they were under had high hour requirements. Due to that they have trouble finding qualified officers, so then they turn to civilian applicants. I remember thinking the hour requirement was astronomical (to me anyways), maybe 2,000? I'm also pretty sure I was told ALL their civilian pilots were prior service military, and a couple had A LOT of flying experience. Very friendly and helpful crew though when I was asking a million questions about their unit.

We have 6 pilots. 4 Civilian and 2 sworn. The two sworn have been with the unit for over 25 years. We don't train officers up through the ranks anymore for 2 reasons. 1st is the fact it is a huge step to go from a commercial certificate and 150 hours in to a Bell 429. Insurance would never have it. Next is Virginia EMS requirements. The State of VA requires 1000 hours PIC and 200 night to qualify to fly medevac. Back in the day when we had a 206 (1980's) we used to fly traffic... Sworn pilots would fly this daily and build about 6 - 7 hours per day. This added up and they were able to get the State medevac mins.

Of our 6 person pilot pool. 3 were trained in the military. 2 Army and 1 Navy. The other 3 including the sworn officer are civilian trained.... Including myself. Flying is about 10% of the job... The other 90% is personality!

I was bummed that I couldn't make it to Heli Expo but someone has to stay here and work.... If you have any other questions about the unit feel free to PM me.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...