72 replies to this topic

#21 Gunner

Gunner

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 20:35

Awesome! I am going to PM you my email... Any chance you could snap me a cell phone pic?

#22 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:22

Sure thing.

Edited by Flying Pig, 05 March 2012 - 10:23.

#23 eddiebauer86

eddiebauer86

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:50

Nashville Metro PD still hires civilians and I have it in good authority that they are looking to hire again very soon. They also have a posting up and are looking for a civilian mechanic.
  • JohnLeePettimore likes this

#24 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:50

Ive talked to a couple Nashville Pilots. They seem pretty content. OH-58's and 500's so you have a little variety. The overall mission seemed a little dull. Basic city patrol orbit work. I am told the civilians seem to move on every couple of years.

Edited by Flying Pig, 16 August 2012 - 10:51.

#25 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:53

Edited by Flying Pig, 10 October 2012 - 17:10.

#26 DRL012488

DRL012488

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 23:53

What sort of salary is to be expected as a civilian law enforcement pilot?

#27 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:12

There is no standard. You could work for some Po Dunk agency flying a single beat to crap OH58 making $37k or work for a large established agency with a lot of different aircraft making $110k. Your question is way to broad.

#28 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25

I left a civilian LE gig in 2001 and was making 57K at the time.....

#29 rjl2001

rjl2001

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:aviation, motorcycles, kayak-fishing, guns
  • Company working for:None

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:59

Sarasota County Sheriff's Office currently has a pilot job posted.  1000TT Helicopters and 500 Turbine.  It says LE certification is a plus.  Sounds like that's a civilian gig.  

Also, Florida Fish and Wildlife just had a couple pilot job announcements that were open to civilians.  You would have to go to an academy though after being hired as those are sworn positions.  

Semper Rotatus!

#30 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:16

....of course, I wouldnt let the minimums fool you.  They also want 407 experience, fire supression, NVG.  .

Edited by Flying Pig, 10 May 2013 - 17:19.

#31 tsimmns

tsimmns

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:06

Nashville PD hires civilian pilots. The requirements are 1000hrs TT with 500 turbine, and experience preferred in MD500 or OH-58. I am one of their civilian pilots, and work alongside the sworn guys just fine. I was worried there would be a "barrier" between the two groups, but havent experienced one so far.

This is great news to hear.  I am about to try and start flight school and hoping that within in the nxt couple of years can build up to the 1000/500 time.  Living in Nashville is always a dream of mine.

#32 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 28 September 2013 - 21:53

I hope they have an opening when I get out of the big green gun club.  Those mins aren't too hard.

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#33 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:01

Minimums are just that..... Minimums. Just because you meet them doesn't really mean anything. You'll find most civilian LE pilot jobs have the ability to reach very qualified applicants. I see your an osprey pilot? When you get out how much helicopter time will you have? I only ask because I'm not sure what an osprey pilot logs? Most LE agencies, when they hire a pilot from the outside are doing so because they want someone who can step in and hit it with little to no cost or effort on the agency. No different than a civilian employer not wanting to dump money into training a pilot. Believe it or not, I have actually heard an agency that was asking about "tail rotor time" to address pilots who were Ch47/46 or V22 pilots. So there is another column for your logbook:)

#34 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 18 October 2013 - 23:21

1100 V22

1000 CH46

1100 TH57(B206)

I won't have flown a real helo in awhile when I get out, but other than the collective going the wrong way and getting impatient about travelling slowly, I think I'll be fine!  I've just got to convince a hiring manager!

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#35 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 00:09

yeah i dont think youll have any issues scoring a gig.

#36 Retreating Brain Stall

Retreating Brain Stall

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:26

I was going to ask, but think I just figured it out, FTDA = Full TouchDown Autorotation?

We have too many acronyms in this industry and I swear 3/4 of them are made up on this forum alone. (not saying this one was though) (maybe the settling with power one I saw the other day).

#37 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:11

FTDA is on the bill we get after the course....so that makes it an official acronym. :)
  • Retreating Brain Stall likes this

#38 solo446

solo446

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:33

Aside from our part-time, contracted, civilian chief pilot who conducts our bi-annual reviews and some training, our large Sheriff department in Michigan only hires from the Deputy ranks.  We currently have 2 full-time pilots and 2 tactical flight officers who are also licensed pilots (my partner has a private fixed-wing, and I have a private fixed-wing with rotorcraft add-on.)  Our current budget only allows for one shift, although we have run two shifts in the past.  We currently do not hire civilians, but there is another option. 

If you are a qualified, motivated helicopter pilot, especially former military, you are welcomed to interview for a Deputy position, work in the jail, test and promote to Deputy Supervisor, wait for a road patrol spot, go to the police academy (if you didn't do so before hiring in), gain a few years of some valuable police experience, and then request for an aviation spot.  By the time you get here, you should have gained enough experience and respect to be welcomed among us fellow LE aviators.  Sorry, but that's how we roll here.  I do understand why many departments would hire from the outside (i.e. training and insurance costs), but I think I would have a difficult time trying to work with someone who doesn't speak my LE language.  Plus, after 14 years of spotless service, the department has a good idea of my employee track record.  For those in the know, a LE career can be extremely taxing on all fronts (friends and family, emotional, physical, etc,) and not for everyone.  Only a handful of people who hired in with me remain employed, and some still can't get "out of jail" so to speak.  Just my $0.02 on this topic, but one that comes up in our LE conversation as well.

Thoughts?

#39 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:46

Aside from our part-time, contracted, civilian chief pilot who conducts our bi-annual reviews and some training, our large Sheriff department in Michigan only hires from the Deputy ranks.  We currently have 2 full-time pilots and 2 tactical flight officers who are also licensed pilots (my partner has a private fixed-wing, and I have a private fixed-wing with rotorcraft add-on.)  Our current budget only allows for one shift, although we have run two shifts in the past.  We currently do not hire civilians, but there is another option. 

If you are a qualified, motivated helicopter pilot, especially former military, you are welcomed to interview for a Deputy position, work in the jail, test and promote to Deputy Supervisor, wait for a road patrol spot, go to the police academy (if you didn't do so before hiring in), gain a few years of some valuable police experience, and then request for an aviation spot.  By the time you get here, you should have gained enough experience and respect to be welcomed among us fellow LE aviators.  Sorry, but that's how we roll here.  I do understand why many departments would hire from the outside (i.e. training and insurance costs), but I think I would have a difficult time trying to work with someone who doesn't speak my LE language.  Plus, after 14 years of spotless service, the department has a good idea of my employee track record.  For those in the know, a LE career can be extremely taxing on all fronts (friends and family, emotional, physical, etc,) and not for everyone.  Only a handful of people who hired in with me remain employed, and some still can't get "out of jail" so to speak.  Just my $0.02 on this topic, but one that comes up in our LE conversation as well.

Thoughts?

Only if I had a dime for every civilian vs. sworn PIC debate I’ve entered…... 

When agencies say “this is how we do it” or, “this is what works for us”, usually indicates the particular agency is cemented in “in the box” policies/practices and will likely fight to stay that way even to the demise of the unit when budgets are cut…… This is a detrimental internal philosophy and it’s happened before and will unfortunately happen again… 

With that, this philosophical stagnation is quickly becoming ripe for commercial operators to invade the sector and provide a turn-key air support operation with equipped machines, pilots and maintenance at a lesser cost to the taxpayer.   After that, the department will only need to provide the TFO.  And, even then, the commercial operator will provide the necessary training for the TFO. Why and how? Because the helicopter industry, which ironically is seen as a lesser entity by the ALE sector, will supply highly the experienced personnel in the form of retired LE aviators who will provide the training and add a level of legitimacy beyond the Deputy wannabe aviator who is only planning for a secondary career  to enhance his own retirement…  Simply put, the cat is out of the bag as retired LE aviators are migrating into the commercial sector and with that, agencies now KNOW, or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, alternatives are available to provide a higher level of service to those we serve and that service can be provided at a reduced expense to the taxpayer just by the virtue of eliminating the politics….

Mind you, this is not meant to argue the point, debate or disagree because we’ll do that all day long.  However, it should be understood, the helicopter industry as a whole is changing. To believe the LE sector is immune is called denial…. Nowadays, cameras are everywhere and everyone is watching. Former LE helicopter pilots and commercial pilots (who despise us) may be sitting on the other side of the courtroom when things “gone bad” and will no doubt interpret your decisions even before you make them and, way before you see them on YouTube……

Edited by Spike, 19 January 2014 - 12:04.

• palmfish and Mikemv like this

#40 Bonzo828

Bonzo828

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Weapons &Tactics, Fitness, Outdoors.
  • Company working for:Professional cat herder.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:15

Let me start off by saying thanks for the wealth of information that is posted on these forums.  I have been lurking around for a while and it's awesome to have a community of people with the base of knowledge that's represented here.

Just to throw another perspective into this debate.  I know units who do it both ways, hire civilians, train patrol officers, or a combination of both.  The dept I work for has sworn and civilian spots in our air unit.  I am an officer with a few years under my belt.  Worked extra jobs and paid for my own flight training and obtained my private rotocraft license.  I'm waiting on a spot to open up in our unit so I can move over.  I know from working with our current pilots, the ones who came out of patrol are much better LE pilots.  They speak the language, understand perimeters, 10 codes etc.  Also, the patrol guys tend to stay in these spots for years while the civilians tend to leave after building that precious turbine time.  I'm not knocking the military / civilian guys because they bring a lot to the table as well.  The guys who started out in the academy, earned there spot, paid there dues, I think end up as a better fit.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't disagree with everything you are saying spike.  However, I know most LE aviation units run on shoestring budgets.  I am not sure they could be run by the commercial sector and still provide the same services.  That is why civilian pilots leave there LE jobs after building time and realizing they can go to the commercial sector and make 100k a year vs. the 50k that they make in LE.  But hey, I'm new to this and maybe i'm missing something.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it" - The only thing we can control is our attitude.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Genesys VR Forum 200NFCVRForum200HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200BE_VRHome200LORD_VRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomePrecisionVRForumHome200