72 replies to this topic

#61 Gunner

Gunner

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:48

Likewise with Fairfax, ive seen there posting a couple times here recently.

Like FlyingPig said...  Not much turnover here actually, it's the polygraph....

#62 terminal_velo

terminal_velo

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:55

They have a hard time getting people past the Backgrounds and more so, the polygraphs.  

What stops people from getting past the polygraph?

#63 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 16:26

Poor control of their physiological fight or flight response :)

#64 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 16:32

I'm not a fan of them. I believe they do detect the physiological changes your body has in response to topic. But those responses don't mean you are lying.

When I'm asked about drugs or domestic violence I now have a pretty high response. When I started in police work I didnt. When a polygrapher asks me have I ever smacked the wife around or been involved in DV, I imemdiately think back to all the DVs I've been on. Particularly one that was a murder suicide where I was kicking in the door as the husband was shooting his wife in front of their kids then put the gun in his mouth as we entered. Yep... It gets my heart pumpin'.
Drugs are the same way. In my case I have documented "reasons". It's up to them if they want to believe that's the reason. Who knows. I believe it's a good tool to identify areas warranting further investigation but not an absolute.

#65 apacheguy

apacheguy

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:TH-67, OH-58A/A+/C, AH-1F, UH-1H, UH-72A, AH-64A/D

Posted 17 April 2015 - 17:24

What stops people from getting past the polygraph?

Try one sometime, you'll see...

#66 Bonzo828

Bonzo828

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Weapons &Tactics, Fitness, Outdoors.
  • Company working for:Professional cat herder.

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:58

I'm not a fan of them. I believe they do detect the physiological changes your body has in response to topic. But those responses don't mean you are lying.

When I'm asked about drugs or domestic violence I now have a pretty high response. When I started in police work I didnt. When a polygrapher asks me have I ever smacked the wife around or been involved in DV, I imemdiately think back to all the DVs I've been on. Particularly one that was a murder suicide where I was kicking in the door as the husband was shooting his wife in front of their kids then put the gun in his mouth as we entered. Yep... It gets my heart pumpin'.
Drugs are the same way. In my case I have documented "reasons". It's up to them if they want to believe that's the reason. Who knows. I believe it's a good tool to identify areas warranting further investigation but not an absolute.

This is all pretty accurate.  I think as a younger person who has never worked in the LE field and depending on your upbringing, you have a better chance of passing.  I was naive enough at the time to get past mine.  Once you respond to a few hundred calls.... your perspective changes.  I always give people the same advice.  Be honest and tactical breathing...

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it" - The only thing we can control is our attitude.

#67 Gunner

Gunner

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 23:19

I always give people the same advice.  Be honest and tactical breathing...

being totally honest helps as well!!!

#68 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:30

My polygrapher told me the same thing. People forget that like in politics, a lot of times it's not about the crime, it's about the cover up. He said a lot of guys blow it on the "Have you ever done drugs?" question.  They get booted for lying and saying "no," even though the department's standards are ridiculously high, like a maximum of 50x for pot and 10x for coke or something like that, as long as it's been 3 years. Sorry I can't quote the rule exactly. That question didn't apply to me at all so I didn't sweat it.

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#69 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:10

My agency is pretty much 0 tolerance. So yeah....... We have a tough time recruiting. Can't even use tobacco within a year of hire or at all after you are hired.

#70 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:30

I've seen that no tobacco rule on some of the postings in FL.  What's the thinking on that? I mean I know smoking is bad and all, but it is a legal product.  Does the department get a discount on health insurance or something? I thought the South was all, "live free or die."

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#71 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:59

Medical insurance. In my dept it's 100% paid for by the agency. The insurance company could mandate that we wear ballerina dresses and we would do it.

#72 Pohi

Pohi

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:55

Haha, Flying Pig.... don't pretend that you don't already wear ballerina dresses

#73 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:56

Yeah but I don't want it mandated. It's about freedom of expression I wear it because it makes me feel sexy

Edited by Flying Pig, 01 May 2015 - 10:57.

• Dnr032 and Bonzo828 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeSpectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR Home