List of civilian hiring units?

BigBird7

why would an LE pilot go work for Wells Fargo as an investigator when they could retire and go fly somewhere?

For the money……

Most of the non-aviator retied guys I know have gone on to other agencies (with different retirement systems) enabling them to double-dip. Shoot, we have several “ex’s” and their pulling down close to 200K. Furthermore, these guys totally understand the politics involved with LE and 100% appreciate being at the bottom. After that, when these guys retire for the second time, they’ll be living FAT! With this type of incentive, why fly and work for peanuts?

The reality is; most cops who gravitate internally towards aviation do it with the intention to have the department pay for their training allowing them the ability to have a second career away from LE… Therefore, if a former LE pilot can slide into an ENG gig, why can’t an ENG pilot slide into a LE gig? The answer is they could, if the archaic longstanding culture simply evolved….. It short, why do most agencies to it their way? Simply because it’s the way they’ve always done it…..

Again, fun topic not meant to disrespect any particular agency…

Edited by Spike

For the money……

Most of the non-aviator retied guys I know have gone on to other agencies (with different retirement systems) enabling them to double-dip. Shoot, we have several “ex’s” and their pulling down close to 200K. Furthermore, these guys totally understand the politics involved with LE and 100% appreciate being at the bottom. After that, when these guys retire for the second time, they’ll be living FAT! With this type of incentive, why fly and work for peanuts?

The reality is; most cops who gravitate internally towards aviation do it with the intention to have the department pay for their training allowing them the ability to have a second career away from LE… Therefore, if a former LE pilot can slide into an ENG gig, why can’t an ENG pilot slide into a LE gig? The answer is they could, if the archaic longstanding culture simply evolved….. It short, why do most agencies to it their way? Simply because it’s the way they’ve always done it…..

Again, fun topic not meant to disrespect any particular agency…

Not that I have any hard data.... but in my experiences, most LE pilots don't stay in aviation. Ive know several who got in to the unit as a TFO, became pilots, and a few years later left and promoted up. If I was a betting man I would say most LE pilots do not finish their LE careers as pilots. And even fewer fly after they retire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Lastly, why is it when LE aviators retire, they ALWAYS pursue aviation related jobs and not LE related jobs?

I don't know if you received an answer to this question or if you meant it to be rhetorical, but the reason usually has to do with pension conflicts. In California, an LEO cannot work full-time for another L.E. Agency in the same State pension system- called PERS. An LEO can work for an agency part-time but there is a strict cap on the amount of hours worked in a year. Many agencies don't want to deal with a violation of the State pension system rules. An LEO could go to another State and work as a Cop but not many want to start all over again, as most jobs and work schedules are seniority based.

On an anecdotal note, after doing almost 30 years of Police work, me and my buddies had had enough of it and the farthest thing from our minds was to hire on with another P.D.

• 1 month later...

Ive noticed severa announcements from Maryland State Police over the years. Does anyone have any inside info on turn-over there, or is the operation so big, they just have a lot of people to replace due to normal attrition. Likewise with Fairfax, ive seen there posting a couple times here recently.

Just curious if there is something there people dont particularly care for or what?

Ive noticed severa announcements from Maryland State Police over the years. Does anyone have any inside info on turn-over there, or is the operation so big, they just have a lot of people to replace due to normal attrition. Likewise with Fairfax, ive seen there posting a couple times here recently.

Just curious if there is something there people dont particularly care for or what?

They do have turnover since they train you to fly the AW139, but don't pay a whole lot, so people get some 139 time and then split for better paychecks (GOM, overseas).

As far as the frequent announcements, their hiring process takes literally years to get through (at least in my experience it does). They are very picky about hiring.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of them. I believe they do detect the physiological changes your body has in response to topic. But those responses don't mean you are lying.

When I'm asked about drugs or domestic violence I now have a pretty high response. When I started in police work I didnt. When a polygrapher asks me have I ever smacked the wife around or been involved in DV, I imemdiately think back to all the DVs I've been on. Particularly one that was a murder suicide where I was kicking in the door as the husband was shooting his wife in front of their kids then put the gun in his mouth as we entered. Yep... It gets my heart pumpin'.

Drugs are the same way. In my case I have documented "reasons". It's up to them if they want to believe that's the reason. Who knows. I believe it's a good tool to identify areas warranting further investigation but not an absolute.

I'm not a fan of them. I believe they do detect the physiological changes your body has in response to topic. But those responses don't mean you are lying.

When I'm asked about drugs or domestic violence I now have a pretty high response. When I started in police work I didnt. When a polygrapher asks me have I ever smacked the wife around or been involved in DV, I imemdiately think back to all the DVs I've been on. Particularly one that was a murder suicide where I was kicking in the door as the husband was shooting his wife in front of their kids then put the gun in his mouth as we entered. Yep... It gets my heart pumpin'.

Drugs are the same way. In my case I have documented "reasons". It's up to them if they want to believe that's the reason. Who knows. I believe it's a good tool to identify areas warranting further investigation but not an absolute.

This is all pretty accurate. I think as a younger person who has never worked in the LE field and depending on your upbringing, you have a better chance of passing. I was naive enough at the time to get past mine. Once you respond to a few hundred calls.... your perspective changes. I always give people the same advice. Be honest and tactical breathing...

• 2 weeks later...

My polygrapher told me the same thing. People forget that like in politics, a lot of times it's not about the crime, it's about the cover up. He said a lot of guys blow it on the "Have you ever done drugs?" question. They get booted for lying and saying "no," even though the department's standards are ridiculously high, like a maximum of 50x for pot and 10x for coke or something like that, as long as it's been 3 years. Sorry I can't quote the rule exactly. That question didn't apply to me at all so I didn't sweat it.

I've seen that no tobacco rule on some of the postings in FL. What's the thinking on that? I mean I know smoking is bad and all, but it is a legal product. Does the department get a discount on health insurance or something? I thought the South was all, "live free or die."