Rotorway A600 Talon vs. Mosquito Turbine vs R22

So im interested in purchasing one of these models MAYBE, in the next year for personal use, what do you think of each? Thanks for the input...please dont be to tough on me as we all haven't started out on the best foot...lol!!! I really am a decent personal and passionate about flying, and would like to build my own, I was recently at COVE Helicopters in Altoona PA with the Boatpix heli having the (100) hour service and talked with the mechanics JC and Ray, of whom said they could help me build it...I have been a mechanic for quite some years now and believe this could be 65% easy build minus the other unforeseens that I have no idea about...also love the way the Rotorway looks but doesn't have a turbine and the Mosquito does but is only a single seater so thats kinda out the window..the R22 seem affordable but lack power...also while I was at Cove Helicopters I noticed an aftermarket exhaust that didnt look that hard to fabricate...but they told me it was $6800 dollars....pretty much $150 in wielding and the FAA and a lil in R&D, so with the Rotorway, I could fab my own parts via experimental...any advice???

Fly Safe,

Dustin

I don't think I'd get in a rotorway. Ever. I did have the chance to see a GORGEOUS mosquito built by a mechanical genius that I would fly without a second thought.

Yeah been doing a lil research over the past couple years, just found this video, but he only the that sux is that it's only a single seater...however, called the factory about a year ago and they said they had one in R&D but still haven't heard anything of it...plus it will be a brand new ship...so...lol! Here's the vid:

Fly Safe,

Dustin

And I could hardly disagree with you about a helicopter over a car. The mosqito is cheaper and has a cool factor with the turbine, but the r22 gives you marketable hours and the ability to take a friend up to share the experince with. Like when I stood on the rim of the gran canyon awe struck my only regret was not having someone I cared about with me to share in it. Thats just my thought process though.

I agree absolutely...have a passenger that can take that moment in with ya is priceless. Especially if its your girl...or about to be girl...lol!!! I wish the Mosquito would come out with a (2) seater then my decision would be easy...but the look of the Rotorway A600 doesn't look to bad either...TOUCH choice!!! Thanks for the input guys...btw..why does every one not really like the Rotorway's, they have been in business for awhile now???

Hey ADRidge, how you doing buddy? Just wondering why you don't like rotorways? I liked everything I saw on their site. I haven't done real research yet, but a cursory look was impressive. What don't you like about them?

whiteshadow

• Like 1

I dont like experimentals when it comes to copters. Just too much to go wrong. I fly home built airplanes (RV10)with proven Lycoming engines....not nearly as much to go wrong there.

I'm still on edge (I call it respect)when flying a certificated R22BII. I couldnt imagine getting into anything smaller, less powered or less proven.

As I get older, my hunger for bigger helicopters increases...then again, maybe thats just my waistline.

• Like 3

Hey ADRidge, how you doing buddy? Just wondering why you don't like rotorways? I liked everything I saw on their site. I haven't done real research yet, but a cursory look was impressive. What don't you like about them?

whiteshadow

Hey man. Good seeing you at the seminar a while back. Hope to get back up there soon.

The one rotorway I saw was the piston version, and it had this huge, nasty belt spinning the tailrotor. It did not impress me in the least. I prefer a T/R driveshaft on anything I fly. I don't want a chain, I don't want a vulcanized rubber belt, I want a driveshaft. Call it an emotional decision. That being said, I haven't seen the Talon yet, so I can't make any kind of judgement call on that aircraft.

Compare that to the one Mosquito I saw. The guy who built it has some proven mechanical abilities as DP can attest to. I was impressed with not only his workmanship, but the overall design of the airframe. For the money, you simply cannot beat it imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, I literally JUST got off the site looking at the mosquitos.......WOW! I can't believe the prices! I would love to see one in person. Anyone in the Denver area here who has one? This thing has me all sorts of excited! Glad I jumped in on this thread!

ADRidge, if you do come up here for a seminar, or any other reason really, let me know! You can save on the cost of a hotel room!

whiteshadow

Check it out too...but no turbine!!!

Was this post related to mine?

If so how the heck do you research? Everyone interested in building or owning a helicopter has ran accros this link Helicycle right? Looks like a turbine to me.

Edited by gary-mike

+1 on the Helicycle. Still thinking about buying one everyday. I went the the Mosquito factory in Trenton, FL a few times for the fly ins and they are awesome looking and performing machines, especially the XET, even though there were only 1 or 2 flying. For me though the mosquito was more cramped as my legs were more in my chest than I prefer. The helicycle however has a more "laid back" position for me at least when I jumped in one. I'm 6' if that helps any. That being said, I'll fly whatever I can get my hands on. With the track record of the older rotorways, I'll stay away. Maybe the newer model is better? Not enough flying to tell from what I have read. No thanks on a belt driven tail rotor either.

Nope probably not, this would be me choosing a Porsche or buying my own Heli....Think I will go with the Heli for now!!!

I had the same dilemma, just bought a Porsche 911 (997) Carerra 4s. It's totally awesome! Not quite as awesome as having your own heli though. Here in the UK we have worse weather so flight time is limited over most of the year, this made my choice a little easier. If I lived in a more temperate climate - who knows...Best of luck on your decision.

Hi Dustin,

Thought it might be helpful to hear from an owner/pilot that has been flying the R22 since the early 1980s as well as a previous Homebuilt owner. With over 500 hrs on my latest Beta II, i would offer the following observations. This is always tough depending upon one's finances, but if you are looking for a primrily recreational use ship that is both highly reliable and affordable, i believe the R22 II is a good bet. In my instance, I rented for most of the first twenty years to save enough to buy my first mid-time ship and buy it outright...

A good mid time R22II with 500 to 800 hours left....if bought right, i.e. its been well treated and maintained is a good solution. A ship like that can be had for $130-150k in todays market. Probably like most private owners, you'll fly the majority of those hours solo and on only occasionally with a passenger...for those circumstances, unless you weigh 230 and live in Denver, it has plenty of power when flown properly.

A homebuilt is certainly fun to build, if building is what you're into...If you plan on doing a lot at altitude, my thin nickel is to do so in a certificated factory built ship... Like you, i love my cars and motorcycles....I've often said, If you are doing it a foot off he ground, buy whtever you want. If you are going to altitude or taking a friend or loved one with you up there...do it in a certiied ship...even if you have to do it as a renter.

my thin nickel..rich

You're most welcome..Ive seen a couple of ships with 150 hrs-200 remaining in the 60-80k range that might be an option if you plan on flying 60-80 hours per year....a good hull, when run out at 2200 hrs will still fetch 35-40k when you are done with it...or like you said, find a good partner and both throw in 50K, youd be able to find a nice ship to fly...and share the maintenance/annual costs as well...

good luck rich