• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 12-7

12-7

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Building time, gyros, tail draggers, soaring.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:26

What is CEP and anyone have a link to a helmet or headset that has it?

Thanks !

#42 palmfish

palmfish

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, German sports cars, Audiophilia
  • Company working for:USDOJ

Posted 05 July 2012 - 23:10

http://www.usaarl.ar...s/CEP_Final.pdf

http://www.gibson-ba...Protection.html

http://www.cep-usa.com/current/

http://anr-headsets....folder/CEP.html

#43 aeroscout

aeroscout

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, skydiving, Speaking, Writing, Reading.
  • Company working for:Caruso

Posted 06 July 2012 - 00:52

CEP's can be custom built into any new helmet, and retrofitted into almost any other.
CEP' are hollow ear plugs that block ambient noise just like a solid foam earplug, while allowing amplified intercom to travel down the hollow portion to enable better hearing of wanted sounds while protecting you from the harmful unwanted sounds.

Edited by aeroscout, 06 July 2012 - 00:55.

#44 CA_H60

CA_H60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 22:26

I've been using filtered earplugs: http://www.amazon.co...=vater earplugs under a flight helmet. I started off using CEP's, which were great in the cockpit but a pain when doing a pre-flight. They would constantly snag when the wire was dangling and they just aren't very good at drowning out noise by themselves.
Then i tried regular earplugs and transmission were acceptable but not terribly clear. I was skeptical of the filtered ear plugs but transmissions are much clearer and it's far easier to understand regular speech when talking outside the helicopter.
This way I always have earplugs in while on the flightline in case someone fires up a turbine next to me while i pre-flight, and i have double protection anytime I fly and transmission are perfectly clear.

#45 mrkik

mrkik

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:07

I have narrowed down my choices.
A DC H10-76 that was given to me. I need to buy an adapter and a new mic to convert it for civilian use. (Will cost me about $125 to get all the parts to convert it).

My next choice is a Lightspeed Zulu. Someone at my flight school has one for sale for $500.

My final choice is to use the Lightspeed Mach.1 (an in-ear headset). My boss gave me this one, but it is for fixed wing. It has been recommended that I get the custom ear molds if I do decide to use. By the time I got the adapter (fixed wing to heli) and custom ear molds, it would cost me about $270.
  • DC - $125 (Adding CEP would bring this to $250 or so)
  • Lightspeed Zulu - $500
  • Lightspeed Mach.1 - $270
I am leaning towards the Mach 1. My main concern is hearing protection. Many pilots I have talked to have mentioned their aviation induced hearing loss. I was looking for the NRR ratings for the lightspeed headsets but I couldn't find anything. Apparently a NRR of 30dB is half as quiet as a NRR of 20dB. My DC is rated at 24dB. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Especially someone who has tried the lightspeed mach with custom ear molds. Also if you have a source that shows the NRR of the lightspeed headsets, that would be great help.

#46 CA_H60

CA_H60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:38

I only have experience with the DC, if you use that one, definitely double up on hearing protection. I don't know how loud the aircraft you're flying are but in larger turbine powered helo's it's just too loud for the DC's by themselves. Honestly even in a quieter helo I wouldn't risk it with just the DC's, your hearing is too valuable.

My .02 is always double on ear pro, even if you had a headset with NRR 70. If you fly a lot in your lifetime there are always going to be those times when you accidentally break the seal on your headset and if the sound level outside is 140dB+ (easy to exceed in the aviation world), you just experienced instant and permanent hearing loss, maybe not much but that's going to add up over the next 20-30+ years. Then there will be those times when you're out on the flightline and you haven't put your headset on yet and there's some loud, unexpected noise i.e. someone fires up next to you or comes in and lands next to you and it takes you 30 seconds to get to your bag and pull out your headset and get it on.
These things may not happen every day you fly and the exposure will probably be so short you won't even think about it, but you aren't protecting your hearing for next week you're protecting it for 20 years from now.

In short, if I were you I would stay away from in-ear headsets as they don't allow double hearing protection and I'd just go with the DC's and always double up (put your plugs in when you head out to the flightline even if it's not loud yet). Those DC's are great headsets and with double ear pro will serve you well and let you keep your hard earned $ for something else.

#47 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:00

30dB isn't half as quiet, it's twice as quiet. The decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear, and higher numbers mean more noise suppression. I tried a Mach 1, but preferred other in-the-ear models. It's certainly an acceptable headset, although I didn't try the custom molds, just the standard plugs they come with. The NRR for the Mach 1 will be whatever the earplugs or molds provide. Using standard foam plugs you can get >30dB. I don't know what the custom plugs will provide. The maximum hearing protection would be the DC model with CEPs installed, if you can afford that. IME, the in-the-ear headsets are adequate, though.
Best Regards,

Gomer

#48 jim_222

jim_222

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:12

Just watched this video, I thought this would be an appropriate place to post:

http://www.faa.gov/tv/?mediaId=454

mainly basic/introductory stuff, but still a pleasant watch (13:31 duration)
I would like to say "THANK YOU" to everybody who responds to a question or a comment that I made. I usually try to avoid replying with a "THANK YOU" post, as I feel that it does not add to the usefulness of the thread/conversation, but I don't want you to think that I do not appreciate your time or attention.

#49 palmfish

palmfish

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, German sports cars, Audiophilia
  • Company working for:USDOJ

Posted 07 July 2012 - 14:40

In-ear plugs are a very personal thing. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what's best for you is trial and error. Some people can't stand having foam or silicone deep inside their ear canals, while others prefer it. Same with custom molds - many people swear by the fit and seal a custom mold provides and others find them uncomfortable. Some people love their ANR headsets and others prefer passive protection.

I recommend you start with the least expensive and intrusive option first - DC's with foam plugs underneath. If you aren't satisfied with the clarity and/or volume, then move up to CEP's. If you hate having foam DEEP in your ears, then try custom molds (they make them for CEP's even!). Even if you do eventually get an ANR headset, you'll always have that DC as a backup or for passengers.

NOTE: Inserting foam deep in your ears can be disconcerting and uncomfortable at first. It takes practice to do it properly and a few hours to get used to it. Stick with it - it's really worth it. I just sold my Bose Aviation A20 headset because I prefer CEPs to ANR.

#50 mrkik

mrkik

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:21

30dB isn't half as quiet, it's twice as quiet. The decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear, and higher numbers mean more noise suppression.

Thanks for the correction, that is what I meant.

I will go ahead and order the conversion parts for the DC, then I will try foam ear plugs, followed by filtered ear plugs, followed by CEP. If I am not happy with any of those options, I will go ahead and try the Mach.1 with custom ear molds. I am not bothered by having something in my ear.

I've been using filtered earplugs: http://www.amazon.co...=vater earplugs under a flight helmet. I started off using CEP's, which were great in the cockpit but a pain when doing a pre-flight. They would constantly snag when the wire was dangling and they just aren't very good at drowning out noise by themselves.
Then i tried regular earplugs and transmission were acceptable but not terribly clear. I was skeptical of the filtered ear plugs but transmissions are much clearer and it's far easier to understand regular speech when talking outside the helicopter.
This way I always have earplugs in while on the flightline in case someone fires up a turbine next to me while i pre-flight, and i have double protection anytime I fly and transmission are perfectly clear.

About the filtered ear plugs, are those the exact ones you have? If you have had luck with those, I will order them.

#51 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:43

The earplugs don't have to be deep in your ear canals. When I use foam plugs on my CEPs, I clip about 3/8 inch off the ends so they don't go so deep, are easier to insert, and let the sound from the CEP speakers come through more clearly. I get just as much noise suppression. Normally the earplugs should protrude from your ears, but I prefer getting them in further, to allow the CEP speakers to lie closer to my ears, so the skullcap doesn't bend them around so much, and clipping them off allows that without putting them so far into my ear canals.
Best Regards,

Gomer

#52 Pohi

Pohi

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:43

The CEP work pretty will with regular DC's too?

Im getting rid of my ANR DC's because the left speaker broke 3 times so far this year. I'm thinking it may have something to do with having the volume cranked up so high so I can hear the radios with foam earplugs in. I don't want to blow up my Zulu either, so I'm looking for another solution.

#53 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:41

Yes, CEPs will work with regular DC headsets.
Best Regards,

Gomer

#54 nightsta1ker

nightsta1ker

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:53

Do you have to send them in to DC to have the connection done? Or can you buy the kit and do it yourself. I have a little experience with ALSE and installing CEPs on the HGU-56s was a bit of a process.

#55 mrkik

mrkik

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 19:16

I'm almost certain you just do them yourselves, but I'm not 100% sure.

#56 Darrencolons

Darrencolons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:51

Hello,

Do you know that the earplugs has NRR(noise reduction ratio). The earplugs having more noise reduction ratio can resist the noise upto large extent whereas the earplugs having low NRR cannot resist the noise upto that extent. So, recommend you to use the earplugs having more NRR.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AMTC 2018Genesys VR Forum 200NFCVRForum200HomeHeliHelmets-VR HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200BE_VRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200