GO PRO MOUNTS?

I just got a new "Go Pro" video cam. It comes with a number of mounting brackets that use 3M tape to secure them to a flat surface.

Are they secure? Would any of you ever mount one on the outside of a helicopter?

How are most heli-people attaching go pros to the airframe?

Tom

• Like 4

I made a little custom fabrication that I mount to the headset hook on the R-22 with a small clamp. Works great and is very secure.

Suction cup mount on the glass is an option - if mounted properly they will not fall off. Rated to up to 200mph on the outside of a vehicle. I've tested mine up to 140mph on the track with no problems. Would I use it on a helicopter? I dunno....sh*t happens.

Roll bar mount properly attached to the lower skids would be pretty safe and secure.

Again - all of these options are up to your own discretion - just my 2c.

I think the suction cup would be he best bet but I don't know if I fully trust it. Safety wiring it would probably be sensible. www.eyeofmine.com make some cool custom mounts for it!

Edited by Trans Lift

Tom:

Here is what I have used with my R22 when I had it. Look at the other images in this group, as I have a couple of the inside mounts too.

Remember, you are not to have anything attached to the outside of the aircraft without an FAA "approved" mount.

Inside however, you can do pretty much anything as long as it does not get in the "pilots" way.

http://s4.photobucke.../GoPro%20Stuff/

Be safe,

edspilot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have mounted mine on helmets using the 3M mounts on mine while snowmobiling, and on my sons for motocross. I have never had one come off, matter of fact, I had to remove one and it was pretty difficult to get off. I installed mine on a warm thoroghly cleaned surface. One problem with using the 3M mounts is they are pretty much 1 time use unless you find more adhesive pads. I don't think many owners would be happy about you trying to scape them off their equipment either.

I personally like the veiw you get when using the homemade mount hanging on the headset hook, like the one JCM5 mentioned. (if you are flying a R22)

• 3 months later...

The suction cup is the only mount I use. The adhesive stuff just sucks and I don't trust it. The suction cup held up fine on both the fuselage and interior during last ag season.

Reviving an old thread. Tried the gopro suction mount today and it held up fantastically except for one issue--the vibration was horrendous. Went to take it off halfway through the flight and noticed the connection bolts things were a little loose but didn't continue to take video after I tightened them. Do you think this is the reason for the vibration or have you guys modified your suction cup mount at all to cut down on the vibration?

Thanks

I work in television, and we use GoPros frequently; we attach them to any and everything.

The suction cup mount is pretty reliable provided that both surfaces are clean; for an added measure of reliability when mounting, it doesn't hurt to improve the seal of the suction cup by using some type of liquid or gel between the actual suction cup and your surface.

As stated before, the more extensions/segments you have on the arm of the mount, the more vibration will work to ruin your shot. I've mounted a GoPro on the interior with minimal segments to the arm and still got a lot of vibration in my shot.

Attached: rigging and R44 with a GoPro

post-28558-0-74513700-1337176954_thumb.jpg

I have recorded probably 20 hours of flying on my GoPro. The suction cup mount is very solid and reliable. You should have gotten a little white rubber bracket that should eat some of the vibration. Also, when turning below operating RPM I get some shaking, once I'm up to ORPM it usually smooths out. I have not, and will not, mount it on the outside of the aircraft. I'm not worried about it hitting the tail rotor, it's too heavy and would go straight down if it came off, but I am concerned about killing someone on the ground. I'm not telling anyone not to do it, bit it's outside my comfort zone. My current issue is that when I have an audio cable plugged in, it seems to screw with the intercom and radio. I'm not sure if it's my cable, or the resistance on this particular helicopter or what, but I would love to be able to record comms and I can't.

• Like 1

Get the GoPro skeleton case that allows you to plug stuff into the side and head over to Roadioshack. Pick up one of the small microphones that they have for $32. This can go inside the earcup on your headset/helmet and will pick up your audio. Just attach the mic cable to the mic port on the GoPro and voila.....

Edited by Trans Lift
  • Like 1

It never even occurred to me. For one, I didn't feel like spending $50 for a skeleton case, so I used the Mk I Drill. Second, I had an audio splice cable from another project that had worked fine. For some reason, either because of this heli, or the GoPro, it sapped the volume on the intercom and radio to the point where I had everything cranked and still could barely hear.

Below is a link to a site that makes mounts for aircraft...not too pricey, and they look solid. When I asked about needing an STC, the reply was that it is temporary, no tools required, doesn't effect flight characteristics, etc...so it does not count as a minor alteration and therefore doesn't need an STC or logbook entry by a mechanic...(as long as you don't attach it to lift producing surfaces..)

I attach my mounts to skid tubes and similar things...seems more secure than a suction cup. I'd stay away from the sticky mounts as you will have a heck of a time getting the sticky part off later...and I have seen them fall off of helmets many times (but I think it was mainly b/c they were applied in cold/moist temps).

Good luck.

http://aerovideo.net/

I second that about using the case with the slots to avoid fogging. I did an amazing flight through the mountains in the winter that all the pictures after the first 10 min were all fogged up.

No pictures now, but it was still a great flight, hopefully when my memory takes a poop that flight will still be there.

• Like 1

One thing I would like to say. If you are going to use the suction cup, be careful. When you gain altitude the suction cup will not function properly. Even with my gps in my truck. If I leave Denver, co at 5280 and drive up to 13000 feet, the suction cup releases and does not always hold.

As mentioned I would most def. secure it with some quality zip ties, and avoid using the suction cup method due to the air at high altitude.

Zam

• Like 2

One thing I would like to say. If you are going to use the suction cup, be careful. When you gain altitude the suction cup will not function properly. Even with my gps in my truck. If I leave Denver, co at 5280 and drive up to 13000 feet, the suction cup releases and does not always hold.

As mentioned I would most def. secure it with some quality zip ties, and avoid using the suction cup method due to the air at high altitude.

Zam

Good to know!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...