Rotorcraft Leasing Company

Hovergirl

I see RLC is up on the job board. I've heard mixed reviews -- does anyone here have experience working with them and want to give me a general impression? Is the equipment well maintained? Any replies or PMs would be welcome - it certainly seems like their minimums are lower than others'...

I've known a few people to work there. 1 stayed for 2 years, another stayed for 3 months. The point is, I haven't known anyone to stay there long. Sure, the minimums are way lower than others. However, if you can just stick it out building hours at a flight school or wherever you are now to eventually get into a better company, I think in the long run you'll be a lot better off.

I was certainly tempted to go there when I hit the magical 1000 hr mark. It would have been an easy place to get some turbine time at, but I held off for almost a full year working a job I didn't make much at. By holding off, I ended up getting the job I had wanted since the beginning of my career.

It's been a while since I've lived back home on the coast, so its possible things may have changed for them. But I wouldn't get my hopes to high for that.

Wow. Is it really that bad?

I've been a cop for almost 20 years now and even we have our share of BS. Every place does.

But what seems to be the major issue at RLC? I'm looking at going to the GOM when I retire next summer and would like to know.

Five0

I don't know anyone that does or has worked for them, but, what I do know is that they have a bunch of peeps that do work there and, how often have you heard about accidents at the company ? They've been around for awhile, have a pretty big fleet of ships, I've seen a few up close and personel, they are obviously doing something right.

YOU as a pilot should be able to inspect an aircraft and determine if it is safe to fly. If they'd give me a chance, I'd most certainly give them a chance.

• Like 1

I did find this with a very quick google search...

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Rotorcraft-Leasing-Company-Reviews-E194488.htm

I'd still like to hear from someone with more recent experience with them though as that review was posted in 2008.

I was one of Gerry's kids for awhile, and while Gomer is correct about avoiding that guy at all costs, he has been retired for over a year. The main problem with RLC is still management, though. From people I now work with that have recently bailed, it's not getting any better. I would whole-heartedly agree with with nolapilot and keep doing something else until a better operator (they are pretty much all better) calls. I would like to say more, but I really better not. :)

how often have you heard about accidents at the company
Read the NTSB accident site.There are a number of them.

And not pointed directly at RLC, but in general it can be difficult to refuse to fly aircraft you're not sure are safe, when you know you'll lose your job if you do. That's far too common in the industry, but I believe it's getting a little better. At least I want to believe it's getting better...

Edited by Gomer Pylot

If that's the important thing, then obviously having an accident that kills you is going to completely terminate your career. Having an accident is worse than being fired, IMO, but it's a tough decision when the choices are between the possibility of an accident and the certainty of being fired. It's all to easy to rationalize that you probably won't actually have an accident, the ship should hold together for the flight, the boss says it will, and you know that if you don't fly it, someone else will and you'll be unemployed tomorrow, without any certainty of being able to find another job, and your family will go hungry and you'll lose your home if you don't get another right away. The world has lots of colors other than just black and white.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to say it, I applied to them. Bad rumors/history or not, that job would have been better than what I had at the time. Had I not gotten an offer from the company I work for now, I would have gladly accepted a position there. I'm quite sure it would not have been a long term job, but it would have opened up doors to other companies that I would stay at for a long time.

Companies can have a string of bad luck, either caused by maintenance, manufacturer, or pilot error. Other GOM companies can certainly testify to this recently. As a pilot, do a good preflight, don't fly an unairworthy aircraft, and don't go out in bad weather and your odds of survival increase substantially.

It might just be me, but coming from being a CFI with zero turbine time and no other opportunities on the horizon, I would have jumped on a job offer without any hesitation

So in theory, if you work for a particular company and have an accident vs. if you refuse to fly and get fired, which one will be a bigger thorn in the side of your career? Which one is worse for your career an accident or being fired?

If you fly even though you know its not safe and you have an accident, the NTSB will probably ask, Why did you fly when it was unsafe? I would say that a pilot error accident is worse than getting fired because you refused to fly because you believed it unsafe! Remember, as PIC, safety is your responsibility, as is saying no! If your employer fires you, sue him for wrongful termination, at least the Regs should be on your side!?

Remember 91.3 and 91.7 If you fly when you know you shouldn't, and something goes wrong, its YOUR ass they're coming after, not your boss'.

Saying no shows you have integrity. It may not pay the bills, but its got to be worth something to some employer out there!?

• Like 2

Dear eagle5, although in principle I agree with what you are saying, in reality things don't really work like that. If you end up suing your boss, you 'd better get a couple of million $$$ out of that case, because the only work you will find in aviation after that, it is going to be self-employed. Being fired, is pretty bad, and getting hired after that is pretty much next to impossible. Because nobody would like to have an employee that could pottentially cost him revenue, or drag him to a courthouse

The best thing in cases like these, IMO, is to talk to your boss about the concerning issues, be truthfull to him, and try to convince him that what he is asking you to is dangerous, and why it could end up in a disaster. If he is convinced, then kudos to you, if not... show you are a good and loyal employee and do what you have been trained to do... with emphasis on EPs...

• Like 1

Dear eagle5, although in principle I agree with what you are saying, in reality things don't really work like that. If you end up suing your boss, you 'd better get a couple of million $$$ out of that case, because the only work you will find in aviation after that, it is going to be self-employed. Being fired, is pretty bad, and getting hired after that is pretty much next to impossible. Because nobody would like to have an employee that could pottentially cost him revenue, or drag him to a courthouse

The best thing in cases like these, IMO, is to talk to your boss about the concerning issues, be truthfull to him, and try to convince him that what he is asking you to is dangerous, and why it could end up in a disaster. If he is convinced, then kudos to you, if not... show you are a good and loyal employee and do what you have been trained to do... with emphasis on EPs...

Knowing just how difficult it is to find employment in aviation, I certainly understand where you're coming from. However, I would rather be alive standing in the unemployment line, than a loyal employee six feet under!

I applied over a week ago & meet all the requirements. The person that put the ad on line can't even bother to answer the phone or return my call. Just like the last guy that sat in that office.

I applied over a week ago & meet all the requirements. The person that put the ad on line can't even bother to answer the phone or return my call. Just like the last guy that sat in that office.

In my experience most operators are like that (at least 98% of the ones I've tried with). Try not to take it personally.

Does anybody have any updated information about RLC? maybe in the last three months or so since the new management group is in place???

Much much better. The equipment may not be as shiny or new, but the new managment team has really turned things around.

I applied as well. I emailed a resume on the 18th of June and got an email reply on the 21st of June that they are reviewing my resume. This is the first response I have ever had with RLC and I have applied with them every time they have posted an ad. I have done this for the last 2 years. I read on their website that they just hired a new HR manager on the 20th of June. I have not heard anything since then. I would say something is changing for the better though because I did get a response. RLC may not be that good but it can be a stepping stone...