SIFT INFORMATION

I just got word from my recruiter on the next WOFT board! I couldn't be more excited. He forwarded the following message to me:

This may be specific to his battalion (I don't know). However, I think this helps squash some of the fears United just put in me about selection rates at 1 per state every other month. My chances seem a little better considering they couldn't even hold a board here because they didn't have enough packets.

Still would like to know how the SIFT will be implemented amoungst us civilians...

I just got the same info and will be submitting in September as well. Hopefully we don't get hurt due to the increase number of applicants since August was cancelled, competition will be higher.

I just got the same info and will be submitting in September as well. Hopefully we don't get hurt due to the increase number of applicants since August was cancelled, competition will be higher.

I had the same thought, but then dismissed it because the board was cancelled due to lack of applicants. Trying to stay positive.

To my knowledge civilians and military personnel from all branches can apply for 153A positions in the Army. How many packets they accept and what the selection rate is I don't know, but I know several pilots that started their careers in the "High School to Flight School" program (civilian WOC selection).

Board Ready means that your packet is complete, ready for the board to review it, and submitted to USAREC.

Oh, another tip: the SIFT test is going to be based very largely on the Navy's pilot selection test. If you want to bone up for the SIFT, it may be a good idea to get the ARCO book and study the Navy and Marine Corps selection test portions, you may find many of the same or similar questions on the SIFT.

Got some inside scoop on SIFT progress. It appears that it will NOT be ready for implementation by the October boards. This coming from the testing center at JBLM, WA. Take your AFAST and submit your packets NOW. Don't worry about SIFT and don't worry about the October cutoff. This is your opportunity to bypass this big ? of a test.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone picked up a study guide for the Navy ASTB to study for the SIFT? I'm about to grab an ARCO one. Just wondering if anyone has seen something better. Only thing I'm staying away from is Barron's, considering their train wreck of an AFAST section.

• Like 2

Uhhh...looking at Amazon, the ARCO book is going for over $100?! I used to have this book until I sent it to another VR member when I was done. Anyone want to send me theirs, if they have it? I cannot believe the price has skyrocketed. The other books all have poor reviews (Peterson's, Barrons, etc).

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does the SIFT entail? Some guy at work told me it was a flight simulator type thing where they see how well you can fly. Others have said its a test like the AFAST just a different version since too many people were able to study for the AFAST.

There's no flight simulator but it is a computer based test. There's one section where some blocks move across the screen and you have to hold the mouse over them to earn points. You get more for the bigger blocks and the faster moving blocks, so it's supposed to test your ability to prioritize tasks. There's also a section from the Navy's ASTB, and at least one section that will ask about your personality. Other than that I don't know what to expect.

Uhhh...looking at Amazon, the ARCO book is going for over $100?! I used to have this book until I sent it to another VR member when I was done. Anyone want to send me theirs, if they have it? I cannot believe the price has skyrocketed. The other books all have poor reviews (Peterson's, Barrons, etc).

Have you guys gone to your local library ???? thats where i checked out 4 books , each book has info and practice aviation tests for all the branches.

I did that two years ago, and they were torn and marked up to all hell so I decided to buy them and pass it along when I was done. A VR library system of sorts. Maybe I'll give it another shot though.

Is this not the study guide for the ATSB. It's the one I used for the AFAST.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/militaryflight.pdf

It says Petersons, but on the second page it says "an ARCO book"

Also, if you haven't taken a look at this yet, give it a read. It's about how they came up with the SIFT and what will be on it (in general)

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA481060

• Like 1

Not scheduled yet but will do it this week. Funny thing I had my whole packet done but failed to realize that the GT 110 is mandatory across the board. I was just reading the recruiting website where it states the 153A minimum pre reqs were. It didn't mention anything about the GT score. So now I have to take that and the sift. Man this blows. GT 105 and a 124 AFAST. Oh we'll I know I'll get selected for Jan. waiting just sucks.

Not scheduled yet but will do it this week. Funny thing I had my whole packet done but failed to realize that the GT 110 is mandatory across the board. I was just reading the recruiting website where it states the 153A minimum pre reqs were. It didn't mention anything about the GT score. So now I have to take that and the sift. Man this blows. GT 105 and a 124 AFAST. Oh we'll I know I'll get selected for Jan. waiting just sucks.

Cool, best of luck ...... and if you would be so kind to let us know how you did and what the test was like compared to the AFAST.

Been putting in a lot of hours researching the SIFT and studying (restudying) the AFAST and ASTB sections that will be on the SIFT. I feel like I could write a study guide at this point, and I haven't even seen the test!

Anyway, it looks like the ASTB mechanical section is a bit more in-depth than the AFAST mechanical section. Just a heads up for those of you who may have never studied basic physics or worked around a lot of tools (other than people, of course) like me.

1. Study up.

2. Don't go in blind. Do your due diligence.