630 replies to this topic

#621 atdm14

atdm14

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 19:43

I am posting this for the sake of other aspiring aviators out there, like me. I want you to keep continuing what you are doing and do not stop until you get what you want. Take the SIFT seriously as it will be your bread and butter to become an Army Warrant Officer. I've been a lurker of this forum topic from quite some time now to gain insights about SIFT.

I just took the SIFT 4 hours ago and jotted down some notes shortly after to post it here. I scored so low, below average, but I passed. I am really disappointed, but, it is what it is. It took me 2 months of studying about 2-3 hours a day because I knew I have my own weaknesses when it comes to self studying. Again, I am doing this for all the future aviators out there.

Below is the summary of the test that I took.

SIMPLE DRAWINGS

- I answered 80/100 with 5-7 mistakes.

HIDDEN FIGURES

-This kicked me straight out my butt. I only answered 15/50. It is harder than the textbooks. It contains fewer lines but for me, the images are really hard to find. I tried squinting but then again, I failed. My advice, don't guess as it might hurt your score. I've seen people in this forum who answered less than 10 questions but still ended up with 60+ score

ARMY AVIATION INFORMATION TEST (AAIT)

-I focused more on aerodynamics. I can say I got at least 9-10 mistakes because of my complacence. I thought I was really ready for this, apparently, not. In my set of test, less aerodynamics questions were there. Here are the questions that I remembered to best of my knowledge.

-Induced Flow, I know I got this right. But the answers were tricky. It didn't directly say "Downward flow of air" something like that. The wordings were far different than the FAA handbook. So, read each answers carefully.

-Translating Tendency 

Flight controls, I am assuming I got this one right. Their use and whatnot. I got a good amount of numbers pertaining to flight controls

Slip

Skid

-Payload

-Night Scanning

-Visual Deficiencies .

-Night flight, include fundamentals in night flight as well.

-The condition when a helicopter is less efficient and or more efficient.

-Pilot self-assessment

-Helicopters of the Army, Remember, A=Attack, C=Cargo, U=Utility, O= Oberservation/Reconnaissance. Be sure to keep this in mind.

- Aerodynamic Forces (basic)

-Army aviation history

-Airspace 

I didn't anticipate seeing more questions that doesn't pertain aerodynamics. But then again, everyone's tests are different. I've seen people posting that their set of tests consists more on Aerodynamics plus flight controls. I posted this to keep you guys aware that there are chances that you might get a set of test similar to mine. So don't just focus on aerodynamics. I suggest you to understand everything in the FAA manual. Almost 80% of the questions can be answered through the manual, except for the army part. I suggest you prepare for the SIFT as you may encounter questions you would never thought you would see. There are a lot of questions in the question bank of SIFT so take this seriously and understand each chapter if you want to get a competitive score.

Spatial Apperception

- Expect that in the actual test, it is not going to be like in most of the study guides. I think I failed in this part and didn't get a perfect score. That's all I can say. Thinking maybe one of the reason I got a lower score because of this. So foolish of me, I know.

Reading Comprehension

It's one paragraph. Straight to the point. However, engl is not my first language so I had to re read everything twice to make sure. Maybe I was overthinking plus reading comprehension is one of my weakness. I can say I only got 50% in this.

Math Skills Test

I think this one pulled my score to barely pass. On my third question, it already asked something similar to this "log base 5 (x+5)=5 (Just an example). It kept doing that for like 3 questions after. I even got log base huge amount of number, lol. It means I was answering it right. It started with a simple probability then a little algebra and then logarithm on the 3rd one. It got easier after question 8 I think. Probably got the answer wrong. It went back to algebra. Also, study TRIANGLES and circle. Motion problems too. I took the time to study here as well. On my test, formulas were on the side so you don't have to worry about it. However, I think I only used one of them for triangle. Know your fractions, square roots in DECIMALS. At the 25 minute marker I moved on to the next sub cat.  

Mechanical Comprehension

Use ASVAB reviewer it will help. It stopped after 8 minutes.

In summary my barely passing score is only 41. I was only hoping to get a 50. It was my target because I knew I wouldn't do good on reading comprehension and mechanical comprehension, and HF. I just focused on AAIT, SAT, SD, MATH. I though I'd get at least a 50 if I aced those sub categories. But, like I said, I underestimated AAIT and thought I was ready for it but was not. Plus the spatial apperception got me like WTF. I know I have a slim to none chance on being selected. But, I want other aspiring aviator to get a better score so they won't suffer what I'm suffering today. Follow your dreams and never stop. Do whatever it takes. DO NOT GIVE UP AND STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Everything will be worth it in the end

I will still submit a packet and hope for a miracle. My flight physical is scheduled on 14 feb 19. The worst they can say is no. However, I am moving on with my career and try something else.  I've been in the Army, as of now, for 29 months. I'm a 91B (wheeled mechanic) who's first duty assignment is in an MP unit who solely focus on investigations (Right? Why would they need a mechanic). I came in as a fuzzy and now I am an E-5, promoted 1 Dec 18. Can you believe that? I became an NCO without actually doing my job. I just do whatever my superiors asked just to be a good soldier. However, it is hurting my career. I am afraid that when I transfer to a LINE UNIT, I'm freaking DEAD. I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE. I never asked to be assigned in my current unit though. This is one of the reason why I pursued the flight path, but I failed. I guess flying isn't for me. It sucks but I have to suck it up and move on. Maybe God has better plans for me.

My stats:

Active Duty
TIS: 29 months
GT/Percentile - 131, 93
SIFT: 41 :(
APFT: 295
LOR: CW3 (MP, CO) O5 (BC), CW3 Aviator
Flight physical: TBD
GPA: 60+ Semester hours with 2.2 GPA  (foreign country)( I didn't took college seriously, I was so dumb when I was younger) Transferred credits to BS Aeronautics, took 4 courses so far, GPA: 3.3

Well, I hope this can be a help to someone and get a good score in their SIFT. I wish each and everyone of you a GOOD LUCK and FLY HIGH!

My resources: FAA Manual, Barron's Military Flight aptitude book 4th ed., Peterson's ,military flight aptitude book 9th ed.

If you have any questions. feel free to message me.

#622 atdm14

atdm14

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 19:45

Overall it was difficult for me. But I still got selected with a 42 soft score so dont give up if you dont score great.

Hey brother, may I know your stats when you got selected? Asking for a friend

#623 Pestilence

Pestilence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 20:42

Can somebody who has taken the sift recently tell me if the Spatial Apperception section has the rock in the pictures or is it just land and water?

#624 Charlien24

Charlien24

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 14:14

Can somebody who has taken the sift recently tell me if the Spatial Apperception section has the rock in the pictures or is it just land and water?

I took it back in November and it was just land, sky, and water no rocks.

• Seminole likes this

#625 Pmortillo

Pmortillo

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:59

Are formulas provided on the mechanical and mathematics sections?

#626 XIIGage

XIIGage

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:21

Are formulas provided on the mechanical and mathematics sections?

Yes, formulas are given to you.

#627 future_aviator

future_aviator

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 14:47

I am a 27 year old, non-prior service, civilian applicant with no flight hours building my WOFT packet. 

I benefitted so much from lurking this thread/forum and I just took the SIFT about 2 hours ago and wanted to post my experience with the test so others can take what they want from it and possibly benefit as well.  I'll try and put everything I can remember. 

I passed with a 61. I am very happy with this score. I've been studying casually for about 1-2 months. Below are the study guides I used, my summary of the test and my stats. 

Study Guides: The FAA Rotorcraft Manual, Barron's Military Flight Aptitude, Arco's Military Flight Aptitude, 2018/2019 ASVAB for dummies, and the blue and red study guides with the helicopter on the from from Amazon, cram.com flash cards 

Simple Drawings

I answered 98/100 with 3-4 mistakes. 5 drawings are presented in the middle of the screen, you click the answer, and it automatically loads the next 5.

Hidden Figures

19/50 with 1 mistake. I didn't feel too great about the amount that I got done. Arco's was probably the closest to the look of the figures. I was given the same 5 figures and they were presented along the bottom of the screen with the new puzzle presented at the top. You click your answer and it automatically goes to the next question. 

Aviation Information

This was pretty much as expected and followed along the same outlines as most of the other posters here. I got a lot of flight control questions as well as some of the following:

Induced Flow

Translating Tendency 

What causes Slip and Skid

Payload

Night Scanning

Dissymmetry of Lift

Coning

Semi rigid vs Rigid

Tandem Rotors

Temperature Humidity Air Density Altitude  and how they pertain to efficiency

IM SAFE method

Questions like "What is an Army Utility Helicopter" and then presented with different air frames (UH)

Basic Aerodynamics (AoA, AoI, Lift, Thrust, Drag, Weight)

G air space (wasn't prepared for this)

Overall it was pretty much as expected. Would've been fine just reading the FAA rotor craft hand book but the study guides definitely helped. 

Spatial Apperception

The pictures on this one were a little blurry. Wasn't too happy with the layout because of the blur. I got an airplane with just the land and water layout (no helicopter or rock involved). Used all of my study guides to prepare for this one. It was closest to ARCO's practice test.

Reading Comprehension

One paragraph with four multiple choice questions. I didn't study for this one and it felt pretty complicated. Just choose the answer that can definitely be determined based on the reading. There are a few that will be kind of right and one that will be definite. Try your best to choose the definite.

Math Skills Test

Thought I was more prepared for this than I actually was. This is the only subtest that I got booted out of. The ones that threw me off were the radical expressions (most of my questions) and geometrical questions. If I could re take my exact test I'd study negative exponents, radical expressions, spheres, cubes, and triangles. Its almost like the test new my weakness : [

Also make sure you're good on probabilities. For example, if you roll a pair of die twice, what is the probability that you'll roll a 12 and then a 7? 

Mechanical Comprehension

Questions about stress types (compression, tension), fluid dynamics, weight, mass, newtons, joules, friction, force, newton's laws, and timing. ASVAB for dummies was my main guide on this one. 

Overall happy with my 61 as I wanted anything above 60. Honestly felt like I was tanking it so that was a nice relief. I always wondered reading through here how people possibly got through 90+ of the simple drawings but that was actually the easiest part. Also thought I'd be totally screwed on hidden figures but I just drilled them as much as I possibly could and right before I went into the MEPS. I got about as many as I expected. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

My stats:

Civilian; Non-Prior Service; No flight-hours
GT - 134 (97th percentile)
SIFT: 61 
APFT: TBD

LOR: TBD (none yet - living in San Diego area with no knowledge of units or anything around me so if you might be able to help point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful!!!)

GPA: Associate's Degree 3.98 GPA working towards my bachelor's 

#628 Pmortillo

Pmortillo

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 17:45

I am a 27 year old, non-prior service, civilian applicant with no flight hours building my WOFT packet. 

I benefitted so much from lurking this thread/forum and I just took the SIFT about 2 hours ago and wanted to post my experience with the test so others can take what they want from it and possibly benefit as well.  I'll try and put everything I can remember. 

I passed with a 61. I am very happy with this score. I've been studying casually for about 1-2 months. Below are the study guides I used, my summary of the test and my stats. 

Study Guides: The FAA Rotorcraft Manual, Barron's Military Flight Aptitude, Arco's Military Flight Aptitude, 2018/2019 ASVAB for dummies, and the blue and red study guides with the helicopter on the from from Amazon, cram.com flash cards 

Simple Drawings

I answered 98/100 with 3-4 mistakes. 5 drawings are presented in the middle of the screen, you click the answer, and it automatically loads the next 5.

Hidden Figures

19/50 with 1 mistake. I didn't feel too great about the amount that I got done. Arco's was probably the closest to the look of the figures. I was given the same 5 figures and they were presented along the bottom of the screen with the new puzzle presented at the top. You click your answer and it automatically goes to the next question. 

Aviation Information

This was pretty much as expected and followed along the same outlines as most of the other posters here. I got a lot of flight control questions as well as some of the following:

Induced Flow

Translating Tendency 

What causes Slip and Skid

Payload

Night Scanning

Dissymmetry of Lift

Coning

Semi rigid vs Rigid

Tandem Rotors

Temperature Humidity Air Density Altitude  and how they pertain to efficiency

IM SAFE method

Questions like "What is an Army Utility Helicopter" and then presented with different air frames (UH)

Basic Aerodynamics (AoA, AoI, Lift, Thrust, Drag, Weight)

G air space (wasn't prepared for this)

Overall it was pretty much as expected. Would've been fine just reading the FAA rotor craft hand book but the study guides definitely helped. 

Spatial Apperception

The pictures on this one were a little blurry. Wasn't too happy with the layout because of the blur. I got an airplane with just the land and water layout (no helicopter or rock involved). Used all of my study guides to prepare for this one. It was closest to ARCO's practice test.

Reading Comprehension

One paragraph with four multiple choice questions. I didn't study for this one and it felt pretty complicated. Just choose the answer that can definitely be determined based on the reading. There are a few that will be kind of right and one that will be definite. Try your best to choose the definite.

Math Skills Test

Thought I was more prepared for this than I actually was. This is the only subtest that I got booted out of. The ones that threw me off were the radical expressions (most of my questions) and geometrical questions. If I could re take my exact test I'd study negative exponents, radical expressions, spheres, cubes, and triangles. Its almost like the test new my weakness : [

Also make sure you're good on probabilities. For example, if you roll a pair of die twice, what is the probability that you'll roll a 12 and then a 7? 

Mechanical Comprehension

Questions about stress types (compression, tension), fluid dynamics, weight, mass, newtons, joules, friction, force, newton's laws, and timing. ASVAB for dummies was my main guide on this one. 

Overall happy with my 61 as I wanted anything above 60. Honestly felt like I was tanking it so that was a nice relief. I always wondered reading through here how people possibly got through 90+ of the simple drawings but that was actually the easiest part. Also thought I'd be totally screwed on hidden figures but I just drilled them as much as I possibly could and right before I went into the MEPS. I got about as many as I expected. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

My stats:

Civilian; Non-Prior Service; No flight-hours
GT - 134 (97th percentile)
SIFT: 61 
APFT: TBD

LOR: TBD (none yet - living in San Diego area with no knowledge of units or anything around me so if you might be able to help point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful!!!)

GPA: Associate's Degree 3.98 GPA working towards my bachelor's 

Thanks for the post, it was helpful last night/this morning before I was scheduled to take the SIFT.

Naturally, the "servers" were down at MEPS, so they made me wait a couple of hours and then told me to reschedule for next Thursday. 

The beauty of MEPS continues to treat me well...

#629 future_aviator

future_aviator

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 18:21

Thanks for the post, it was helpful last night/this morning before I was scheduled to take the SIFT.

Naturally, the "servers" were down at MEPS, so they made me wait a couple of hours and then told me to reschedule for next Thursday. 

The beauty of MEPS continues to treat me well...

Rough! Good luck next week! Let me know if you have any other questions and Ill try and help the best I can.

#630 amby_1986

amby_1986

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:33

Where can i find the 250 CRAM flashcards?

I didnt find any link for the same?

#631 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 13:59

I'm preparing to take the SIFT as well. I've found this thread to be of great benefit. Good info posted!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

MaunaLoaVRHome200FreeFlight_Home200BLR 200LakeSuperior200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200PrecisionVRForumHome200Spectrum_VRHome200Guidance Home 200