Battalion Board Interview

My recruiter scanned in and forwarded all the necessary documents to battalion (I wasn't present when he did this). Then after passing my battalion interview, battalion scanned in the recommendation letters from the officers. All my packet documents have been scanned in and are waiting to be sent to USAREC (this is done by battalion from what I understand), pending my flight physical approval.

My recruiter scanned in and forwarded all the necessary documents to battalion (I wasn't present when he did this). Then after passing my battalion interview, battalion scanned in the recommendation letters from the officers. All my packet documents have been scanned in and are waiting to be sent to USAREC (this is done by battalion from what I understand), pending my flight physical approval.

So, did you go to battalion before your flight physical was approved? That's really the only thing that is beyond my control that is holding me up.

So, did you go to battalion before your flight physical was approved? That's really the only thing that is beyond my control that is holding me up.

Yes, your actually suppose to go in front of the battalion board before your flight physical. That way, if battalion doesn't recommend you, they don't have to waste the Army's money on the flight physical. Push your recruiter to schedule the battalion board. The flight physical is not required to be approved by Ft Rucker when you go in front of the battalion board!

Yes, your actually suppose to go in front of the battalion board before your flight physical. That way, if battalion doesn't recommend you, they don't have to waste the Army's money on the flight physical. Push your recruiter to schedule the battalion board. The flight physical is not required to be approved by Ft Rucker when you go in front of the battalion board!

that's new news that i've never heard before... no rucker stamp required for civilian street to seat...

From USAREC 601-91 5-2 (e.) "Class 1 Flight Physical completed. The Rctg Bn will schedule the applicant for a Class 1 Flight Physical after favorable recommendation from the Rctg Bn examining board for the WOFT Program."

I actually do remember reading that. I think they probably just have you do the flight physical first because (at least in my area), the local battalion boards are so close to the USAREC board. That way, if you have to wait for Rucker to approve the flight physical, you don't miss the USAREC board. Also, you won't waste the board's time if you are not medically qualified.

My recruiter didn't ever tell me if my battalion interview was fully accepted and qualified. All the officers told me after the interview that they would push for me and said I had a solid packet. I asked my recruiter what I scored in the interview and he said he didn't know and that I did fine. Does this mean that I am good to go and they considered me? My recruiter said we are now just waiting for HQ USAREC selection board but I just wanted to make sure that those officers put in good recommendations and if I scored well for my interview.

They scan them in at battalion. Your recruiter should be able to look at all the documents that are scanned in. I was told my score after the interview, but did not see the sheets. A few days later, my recruiter pulled them up on the computer and I got to read the recommendations they wrote me.

You guys have way better recruiters than I've met. They just tell me do this checklist (which has AFAST and Flight Physical etc) and get back to them. Plus I probably don't have a good chance because I don't have college experience. I'm thinking, I guess 5yrs of V-22 Maint and getting out the Marine Corps as a Sgt. doesn't help. They can go crap in their collective hats. Anyway, lol, great job to you guys and your boards!

Question for the group who has been through their battalion board already. Did the panle give you a chance to ask any questions? I feel pretty well informed about the WOFT program and what goes on through the end of flight school so i am not sure what else to ask about.

Did you just ask a question that you already knew about to get their perspective or something more general?

When I first read it I immediately thought it was not a appropriate question. After I thought about it, I could see where you are coming from, however, I would still not ask the question. You want to keep it simple, while also showing them that you are interested in their opinion. Ask them a question you know they will have a simple and brief answer to.

went pretty well. i feel like i could have been a little clearer on some responses but the board was very positive afterward. they didnt tell me how many points i got but i got their thumbs up. i was going to check with my recruiter to see if he can see the uploaded score sheets.

The board did one thing i did not expect. They asked how my wife feels about this and what she thinks. I told them and then the president of the board said, lets give her a call. He asked for her phone number and then dialed it right there and put her on speakerphone. thankfully she answered and told them the same thing i had pretty much.

now it is just a waiting game like the rest of you for 10 September and for my flight physical to get the green light from Rucker.

• 3 weeks later...

My take on Battalion Boards:

I just had my battalion board yesterday and I wanted to share my experience and express my opinions on how it went while it is fresh on my mind.

Here is the setup. I wore a nice dark suit, white shirt, conservative tie and nicely polished shoes. Also, I showed up with a fresh high-n-tight. One board member (the board president) (I will call him Maj. O) was on site, the other two members were connected via video conference. Once they were setup, Maj. O asked me to enter and be seated. Nothing formal here, just walked in and sat in the chair he gestured to. As expected, they took turns introducing themselves and then asked I do the same. I kept my intro very brief, ~3min. I gave a brief overview of myself, much of which was in my packet. They informed me they were not there to set me up for failure, but rather to get to know me and consider if I was the type of person they would want flying overhead.

All three board members were combat vets. Maj. O, a combat engineer, the other members were a MP and artillery commander respectively. Being combat vets, they wasted no time jumping into deep probing situational combat type questions to see how I would react. Looking back, I feel they were judging whether I was capable of making tough decisions. There was probably not a right or wrong answer other than being able to make the decision.

Other areas covered were family life and how we feel about deployments, financial stability, my basic beliefs, how I handle stressful situations, how to handle personnel problems and ethics. I am intentionally not going to jot down a list of questions they asked me. The reason for this is because each board is going to be fluid, dynamic. Each question I was asked was based on a previous response, in other words, it was very conversational. I feel if I made a list future applicants would devote too much time preparing for the questions I was asked rather than having the opportunity to answer honestly and lose the conversational atmosphere by being too rehearsed.

My suggestions for future boardees: prepare a short bio (I’ll give you that one), most importantly though, know yourself. Spend time reflecting on who you are, what motivates you, what are your passions, why do you want to fly for the Army?

Remember, you are applying to fly for the ARMY. Not the Boy Scouts, not LE and not to be John Travolta’s love pilot. You will be in hard, stressful situations. You will be asked to do things that may make it hard to sleep at night. You will be in WAR. Think about those for a moment and consider how you will handle it. It’s easy to say you will kill the bad guys and save the good guys, but what about when you find out there is collateral damage, say you find out your hellfire killed 4 kids along with a high-value target. What would you do? Your life, your co-pilot’s life, the ground troops’ lives are in your hands. Can you handle it? These are the things I have been reflecting since my interview. I have been doing a lot of soul searching and mental preparation for the things I just described. I was anticipating a feeling of relief having completed my packet, but actually reality is setting in and it has been sobering.

And no, they did not call my wife.

Good Luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention. I was not given the opportunity to ask any questions. After the interview I was asked to leave the room. They discussed amongst themselves and I was asked to reenter along with my recruiter. Maj. O told me the board's feelings and said I scored 75/75 and they appreciated I did not waste their time. I thanked them and the board was concluded. Afterwards, he asked I go to his office and gave me an aviation article he had recently read.

Edited by WOFTApp
  • Like 6