25 replies to this topic

#21 airmcdonnel

airmcdonnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Company working for:EMS

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:16

Have you looked into Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick? I'm a former student/instructor. Nothing but good experiences. We also dealt with alot of CCBC students. PM me if your interested and I can put you in touch with the right people there.

#22 revaequitas

revaequitas

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Tilt-Rotor, V-22, Helicopters and Saltwater Fish tanks
  • Company working for:Dyncorp

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:20

Have you looked into Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick? I'm a former student/instructor. Nothing but good experiences. We also dealt with alot of CCBC students. PM me if your interested and I can put you in touch with the right people there.

I never really put much thought into it, I'm about 2hrs 24min away from there and 2hrs 15min from American. I guess it's kinda ridiculous to remove a school for ten-ish minutes. How long were you there? I'm coming from Lusby so I'm trying to ease the pain of a commute since I have a job right now.

Corey

#23 revaequitas

revaequitas

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:35

Nothing is for free. You earned it and the taxpayer is paying for it.

OK maybe free was a poor choice of words, I paid for it too. I wonder how many opted to not put money into the GI Bill..

#24 airmcdonnel

airmcdonnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Company working for:EMS

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:14

I never really put much thought into it, I'm about 2hrs 24min away from there and 2hrs 15min from American. I guess it's kinda ridiculous to remove a school for ten-ish minutes. How long were you there? I'm coming from Lusby so I'm trying to ease the pain of a commute since I have a job right now.

Corey

I was there for about 4 years. 2 years to get all my ratings and another 2 years teaching. I definately wouldn't count it out though. I can't speak for American Helicopters other than rumors I've heard which are just that. Theres rumors about every school you'll look at. But, advanced provides alot of opportunities to network if your smart about it. I miss the family atmosphere. I was incredibly lucky to get some great flying jobs after leaving. You'll have to work for it but the opportunities are there.
  • revaequitas likes this

#25 Mikemv

Mikemv

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:Helicopter Aviation for the last 50+ yrs
  • Company working for:HelicopterSBT, Unmanned Safety Institute

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:48

Corey,

May I suggest that you minimize your drives while maximizing your training? Here are my thoughts.

Drive to flight school for a morning class around 10AM or 11AM. After your debrief, take a lunch break and then maybe take some ground instruction or self study at the school. Fly again at 4PM or so. Dinner and self study in the evening and remain over night close by (work out a deal with a local hotel). Fly early the next morning (8 or 9AM), take a break, ground or self study. Lunch and then a 1PM flight. Depart by 3Pm for the drive home.

This will give you the opportunity to make your training meaningful and remove 6 driving legs for 4 lessons. Talk to the school about it and they may have a deal with local hotels.

Best Wishes,

Mike
www.modernflighttraining.com

#26 revaequitas

revaequitas

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:37

Airmcdonnel,

Thanks, sounds like a real opportunity. I see their site says they aren't hiring but I still have a long way to go before I look for employment so hopefully it'll open up at the right time :D Can you PM me on the "rumors" so I can investigate further?

Mike,
So I would be training on the weekends then? I have to do ground school at CCBC for the benefits to kick in but would I need to do any additional ground between flights? I'll talk to the school about the hotels as well. Thank you for the valuable information and insight.

Corey

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Md 500, R22, R44, GI Bill, Veterans Affairs, VA, School

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

JerryTrimbleVOLO_VRFT200GuidanceVRFTForum200UNDVRFTForum200BLR FT 200Anthelion_VRFTForum200LakeSuperior200FlightTrainingPrecision_FTForum200