Warrant Officer National Guard

tangos have a 6 week hold under here at eustis right now just to class up. so thatd be add six weeks to your ait time while you do bs cleanong and stuff.... sucks.

are you by chance a "meat head" type.... big miscles, drinks protein shakes all the time n stuff? if so youd fit in at the 15u company here lol

are you by chance a "meat head" type.... big miscles, drinks protein shakes all the time n stuff? if so youd fit in at the 15u company here lol

Ha, never was a meat head lol. Not even during an Iraq deployment, got big but I'm not a big guy haha.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about ARNG instead of AD....so decided to resurrect this thread with a few q's for anyone who has knowledge.

-once selected in the guard, how long does it take before you get to flight school? Are there backlogs?

-if you're enlisted in one state, can you apply for other states flight spots? The reason I ask is because some states my be full strength and not hiring, or not hiring as much.

Well you enlist in the guard, go to basic then AIT for whatever MOS you choose. And once you return to you unit you can start a packet, so it all depends on how long your AIT is and unit cooperation.

I enlisted in the guard knowing I wanted to go warrant and fly, I started a packet upon completion of AIT. It was over two years till I finally had mine board ready. Due to, I got a full time job in the guard, family, etc.

Well you enlist in the guard, go to basic then AIT for whatever MOS you choose. And once you return to you unit you can start a packet, so it all depends on how long your AIT is and unit cooperation.

I enlisted in the guard knowing I wanted to go warrant and fly, I started a packet upon completion of AIT. It was over two years till I finally had mine board ready. Due to, I got a full time job in the guard, family, etc.

How many boards does your state have a year? And how long from the time you were selected until you got to flight school? I'm sure every state is a little different, but just curious.

It all depends on the number of seats the state is given each year and how many applicants there are. For example, my state there has to be 4 applicants before they will make a board. I think the average here is 2-3 boards a year. I was selected in November I leave next week for WOCS and start WOBC/IERW in June .

thanks for the info man. How many days/month do pilots work while in the guard? I mean it's not like the typical weekend a month for pilots right?

I started my packet during AIT, got home and only two steps to do. I was home for 5 months post AIT before leaving for wocs, then home for a week after wocs before leaving again for BOLC and the rest. I'm now in BWS

My advice is if you want guard, commit 100%. None of this quicker easier way to school junk. Guard route takes more dedication to the process than active with more possibilities of not ever getti there with regards to state budgets and stuff. Every state is different. Also, highly unlikely you'll be able to be in one state and apply to another state for a slot. Each state pays for their own students respectively.

Also, pick an MOS that you are ok doing as a career. It's possible that you'll never get to wocs and be stuck doing your contract as enlisted. Better to not do that and be miserable at the same time. I was an Apache crew chief, now I'm in school and returning to my same unit as a pilot

If you fly once a week in the guard in addition to the weekends, I would think your civ employer would be a little po'd (but they have to be accommodating due to law I'm sure)? I've heard of the active guard, but can anyone sign up for that? That's crossed my mind. Lots of q's guys, sorry. Going to get in touch with a WOSM next week.

Yeah some guys get a little grief from their employers, especially since there are limits on the amount of hours you can be awake and total "work day" hours when flying. Active guard is only if you get a full time job. You don't just sign up for it. There has to be an open slot somewhere and apply/interview just like a normal civilian job. I'm active guard performing military funeral honors. There's different types of active guard such as AGR ( contract just like AD), ADOS (year long AD orders), there's also technician jobs too.

That's a hard one to really say. It all depends on the board members. Also, guard is different then AD in the fact that your packet doesn't just go to a board and they choose the best packets. What happens is once you have your packet complete and "board ready" you wait for the board date to be released, then you go sit infront of the board and they asking you questions and chat for a little. Some board members talk about your packet, others don't. However, a degree and flight hours are not required (I have neither, 0 flight hours and only about 40credits) but it can't hurt having them.