ERA pilots in Alaska

UNCphillips

So my buddy says he worked 7 days a week and was on call from 7a to 9p. He said that Juneau had apartments for the pilots and Denali had a dorm where each pilot got his own room. He said it was a lot of fun and his pictures were amazing. I got the same response for him as most anyone else who flies in Alaska, he said if you get the chance, do it. I'll try to find out some more info for ya, sorry it's kind of meager. He's headed to the GOM in a little bit so I can find out about that as well.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but any idea how much they flew? I'm thinking about heading up there for a season to get some Astar time if they stay busy enough

Typically 2-400 hours. It's based on weather that season, more so than the pilot. Temsco will generally fly more from what I'm told.

Aah I see. 200 would suck, especially working 14 hour days.

The era job posting days 7-12 days in a row, 14 hour days, no scheduled days off. What's that mean, 8 days on then 1 off, 12 on then 3 off? I don't mean those exact numbers, more of a random thing.

They operate under the same 135 certificate as the rest of Era and have the same rest requirements. It is worked around because it tends to fit into one calandar quarter. The days off tend to float from what I recall.

• 6 months later...

No personal experience but, a guy I talked to that fly's for ERA said transferring from AK to the GOM isn't to hard but going from GOM to AK can really take some time/effort.

As far as the state, go if you get a chance! I loved the 6 years I spent near Fairbanks, and the south coast is great. If you go seasonal, the summer is awesome, if you go year round, you will find beauty in the winter... for awhile ( the winters will start to wear on you). Of course winter in the south is more bearable but, you would get more snow.

Any more questions about the state I may be able to answer, unfortunately I can't offer much info about working there as a helicopter pilot... Maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Do you guys know what the minimum hours would be to do this? I want to do it next year as I should have my ATP by then.

Also, any advice on how to actually get in a position to land a job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, great post!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't think the ATP would make a difference on the tour side. I believe the minimums for hiring are 1000 hours and an instrument ticket. I would think 1500 might be more realistic for getting the position.

And for those that asked, the AK to GOM transfer isn't as smooth as it used to be but is certainly not out of the question. Generally the other direction is not an option.

I wanna say interviews are around March/April.

A few guys went to the GOM and a few stayed in AK after the 2013 season, all of the guys that wanted to work 14/14 upgraded to bigger aircraft (119, 212, 145). Almost 1/2 of the era tour pilots remain on a seasonal schedule and only work the summer.

For the 2013 season era was "asking" for 1700-2000, with an instrument ticket. I want to say the interviews start in February/march and includes a written test, as350 ftd session, and a face to face.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...