Time building on pipeline patrol, $150/hr.

Total speculation on my part, and a short look at their company site would suggest the CFI is already the pilot on this job. He's just taking his scenario and looking for a way to make some extra money while hes working and lowering some costs. I would do it to! No problem with that. Where I am your going to dump $300 an hour motoring around solo in an R22 just building time already, then why not drop $150 p/h, do something interesting, and double your money. A turbo Enstrom is what.....15 gph? $150 an hour is probably just gas. If it was closer Id probably hit a couple hours just to try out an Enstrom.

The ones I have issue with are the posts that suggest you'll end up with list of made up "endorsements".

Edited by Flying Pig

If I were on the fence about becoming a commercial pilot, I might do this for a couple of hours (to see if this is the type of thing I can actually do), but that's it!? Like that guy in LA who lets you fly his news chopper, its a taste of what the profession is all about,...not just some lame-ass straight and level bs for a rediculous price!

Edited by eagle5

• 2 weeks later...

This would actually be pretty cool. Not an insanely high price, it's a different A/C and you're actually doing something other than S&L (depending on the pipe and what not that is). If I wasn't in the middle of my instrument semester, I'd probably have to take donations to pay for travel haha

• 2 months later...

This offer is still running. I've had some great copilots for the last few months. We've had a lot of fun and good luck with weather. I have an opening for the January patrol. Ideally, looking for someone interested in coming for the whole patrol. This month we flew about 70 hours in 12 days. Contact Jon at jfmc1234@gmail.com for more details.

Edited by 280fxColorado

Same as any other job- have enough experience, be available to jump at a moments notice, and know the right people at the right place and time. I found this job through a local connection with about 1700 total time and over 1000 in type.

Ahh, by networking!! How unusual! (Sorry, reference to another post!).

If I was paying to build time I would jump on this as well.....good price, different airframe, fun mountain flying......good luck, hope you find someone that takes advantage of it.

Fly safe..

Goldy

• Like 1

Hi everybody!

I´m just back to florida after doing the whole patrol with Jon, and really would just like to give a recommendation to other aspiring pilots who´s done with they´re training and want to gain both some work experience from "the real world" of flying, and some more flight time in your logbook.

The pipeline inspection flying is technically somewhat more advanced that what you do at flight school, as we fly to follow and inspect terrain. You get training in handling the aircraft and at the same time perform other tasks.

Not to mention all the beautiful scenery you get to see during this kind of flights...!

All in all - highly recommended!

Joel

• 1 month later...

so i'm curious about what you are doing, and wondering if i could pick your brain about your ops. are there any problems/limitations combining training and commercial ops insurance wise or irs wise (1 business or 2 for billing) or even faa cfr's. just wondering, i might pitch an idea for some turbine stuff this summer. (i'm looking for experience and building connections as a low-timer cfi/ii) pm me if you'd like, i left it public so others could jump in with their own experiences. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Another satisfied customer here. I did three days with Jon at the beginning of Feb and had a great time (despite some weather challenges, but that just added to the real world experience). For those in the no man's land between training and employment, this is a great option. I'm trying to work some more time with Jon into my schedule as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Grug

• 2 months later...

I just completed the OH-NH-OH route (6 days, 30 hours - poor weather reduced the hours a little) with Jon...fantastic time. I enjoyed flying the F28F in real world conditions (coordinating with ATC to transit Class B, C, D airspace; evaluating weather, choosing fuel stops, daily maintenance, etc.). Jon is great to fly with, demoed a couple maneuvers and gave me a break when I wanted, but otherwise let me fly the entire time. A great value for half the price of banging around the pattern in an R22.

A great value for half the price of banging around the pattern in an R22.

I know these pay to fly posts catch a lot of flack from various VR members, but this is exactly the kind of lower time pilot that can benefit from experiences like this one. Real world stuff, bigger aircraft, no governor (I think-zero F28 time here!), and all at almost half the cost of an R22, which means almost double the hours for the same dollar.

I know a lot hate this stuff, but for the right pilot at the right stage in their learning and building time, I think it's a deal. I know at 75-150 hours I would have jumped at it.

Just my thoughts,

Goldy

• Like 1

I just completed the OH-NH-OH route (6 days, 30 hours - poor weather reduced the hours a little) with Jon...fantastic time. I enjoyed flying the F28F in real world conditions (coordinating with ATC to transit Class B, C, D airspace; evaluating weather, choosing fuel stops, daily maintenance, etc.). Jon is great to fly with, demoed a couple maneuvers and gave me a break when I wanted, but otherwise let me fly the entire time. A great value for half the price of banging around the pattern in an R22.

So what exactly were you guys doing?

Eagle5- We inspect buried natural gas pipelines for encroachments (unreported construction, digging, etc.), leaks, and evaluate the general condition of the right of ways. My route covers approximately 7,000 miles in Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.

Goldy- Thanks for the kind words. This has turned out to be a major success with many satisfied customers. As you say, this makes a lot of sense for the right pilot at the right stage. I've had several foreign time builders, recent Bristow graduates requiring more time for JAA conversion, retired military pilots transitioning into civilian aviation, high time pilots who have lost their currency for various reasons, 150hr CFIs needing 200 hours for insurance requirements, purely recreational flyers interested in the experience and the scenery, and others in various situations. I don't know of any other regularly available option to build this much helo flight time at such a low rate. Additionally, it's an outstanding learning experience! In general, I would only recommend this to pilots with at least a private pilot helicopter certificate. I prefer guys who already have a commercial license. I would discourage anyone on a tight schedule as delays (maintenence, weather) are inevitable. Usually things go smoothly with minimal delays but I can't make any guarantees on timeframe.
To answer some frequently asked questions-
"How long will we fly?"
1 day, 6-8 hours OR
5-7 days, 35-40 hours OR
Full patrol, 14-16 days, 90-100+ hours
"Can I get discount?"
Sorry, but the price is firm.
"How will I log the time?"
All time can be logged as PIC, dual received, cross county. I am a 3000hr+ CFI and can sign your logbook.
"Can I get IFR currency, night currency?"
Sure, no problem. The helicopter has an IFR trainer panel and Garmin 530. I'm happy to be safety pilot for your 6 approaches & holds.
"Where will we meet?"
Our hangar is in Northern Ohio. The best places to fly in are Cleveland, Akron-Canton, or Pittsburgh. I can usually pick you up and return you to the airport.
Contact Jon @ jfmc1234@gmail.com for more details
  • Like 1

Eagle5- We inspect buried natural gas pipelines for encroachments (unreported construction, digging, etc.), leaks, and evaluate the general condition of the right of ways. My route covers approximately 7,000 miles in Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.

How low/slow do you fly, and are you looking through binoculars, or monitoring computer equipment, if anything? Is it a two person job, or can it be done solo? Is this a year round job, flying the same routes over and over again? How does one go about getting into this type of work?

If you don't mind me asking?

Jon:

If when flying thru WV, you need anything, let me know. I live two hours drive south of Pittsburgh.

We are a helicopter friendly airport with 5 here and two operations on the field. Hangar space if needed to get out of the WX.

Be safe,

edspilot

Dean

703 dash 599 dash 4799

• Like 1

I just completed the OH-WV-KY route with Jon (13 - 18 May). I had a great time. I enjoyed flying the F28F. I learned a lot about pipeline patrols and the industry that requires the service. The route was through rural country with great scenery. We didn't cross through much controlled airspace so if that's a challenge you're looking for I recommend the NE route. As always, evaluating weather, choosing fuel stops, conducting daily maintenance, and identifying locations to stay the night are good experiences. Jon is very easy to fly with. I flew most of the time but he gave me a break when I wanted. I agree with previous posters: a great value for half the price of an R22.