Time building on pipeline patrol, $150/hr.

I did pipeline for 2 years in the Kentucky,Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee and WV area. A lot of good experience and real world flying. I owe my career to my pipeline flying, I still go back and help out my old boss on occasion actually. Something like this is a great opportunity for a lower time pilot. Much more beneficial than flying the pattern for hours.

• 1 month later...

I live in Illinois and was wondering if I purchased a helicopter how would I go about finding the necessary contacts I would have to make to set up these kinds of patrols? If I didn't buy the helicopter is there any opportunities like this around here?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got back from flying two of the three patrol legs with Jon. It was the most rewarding helicopter experience I've had to date, and the amount I learned exceeded my expectations exponentially.

We logged 68.8 actual skids up hours in 9 days. We flew nearly 5,000 nautical miles, landing at over 30 airports in 12 states from New Hampshire south to Tennessee. We even flew into Canada briefly in the SFRA for Niagra Falls (and got some killer pictures of the falls). I gained experience talking to ATC in several Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and even TRSA airspace areas. We got cleared to make a tight lap around the downtown Boston skyline at around 400' AGL, flying in between buildings, over the USS Constitution, Harvard University, and the legendary Fenway Park.

We skimmed the shores of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York, flew through several mountain ranges, and followed pipeline in West Virginia with switchback turns so tight on ridge lines we had to make torque turns just to stay on course. We flew in temps ranging from 40 degrees to heat indexes over 100 on days that ranged from severe clear to dodging thunderstorms and flying through heavy rains. I learned flying tips and tricks that could only come from a pilot who has experienced nearly every condition Mother Nature could throw at helicopter.

We found great restaurants and breweries in every state we stopped in, and met some incredible people along the way. We drove some courtesy cars that were barely roadworthy, and ate dinner with the owner and his family of one of the FBOs in Kentucky who was passionate about helicopters.

We made off airport landings, and stopped for fuel at some of the neatest little airports you never knew existed. (2B2 on Plumb Island, MA comes to mind).

We had some great laughs, some near white knuckle moments, some head winds, some tail winds, and ultimately the greatest flying experience I could have imagined. I made some great connections, and lasting friendships. I was exhausted after my 9 day stretch, but now as I sit here crammed in the back of a 737 on the long ride home, I already miss it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course he would! But why just tag along when you can fly for the same price? His phone number is in the thread, I suggest you call him directly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jon,

Not sure if you remember me, Fred Leman, but I am flying out of central IL in a R44. If you ever find yourself over that way needing fuel or a place to set down let me know. We have a small heliport and a fuel tank. If your company is ever interested in in expanding into IL let me know I would be interested in helping out.

Fred

Fellow Rotorheads:)

I would like to share my experience flying the Pipeline Patrol with Jon in April 2014.

First word that comes to mind is WOW! What an experience! I flew for 30 hours on this patrol, through 4 states, both populated and rural areas, did I mention already LOW level :D What a blast, at times I felt like I was a racecar driver, tight turns left and right :) at the same time minding the ever changing terrain.

After researching available choices for my time building needs, this opportunity came on top! Jon is an excellent instructor and the experience from this is second to none!

It's been a week since I flew and I still barely touch the ground B)

Thanks Jon!

Best regards,

Ingi.......

Iceland

The time building is offered like Jon wrote.

Beginning April 2014 I did this time building on the pipeline and had a great learning and travel experience with him.

I did 70 hours in 9 days and all went well.

From Ohio to New Hampshire, all the way back to Kentucky

Jon introduces you even to a variety of beers on the way: India Pale Ales, Porters and Stouts

Anyone with a love for helicopter flying and beers should fly a tour with him.

Cheers and many thanks

Guy

Ingi and Guy,

Thanks for the kind words, I really enjoyed flying with both of you! It should be noted that Guy is from Belgium and a proper American beer tour was only appropriate. The Great Lakes area and New England have an abundant variety of tasty microbrews and Brew Pubs and it's no coincidence that our nightly stops tap into some of the highlights :)

Cheers,

--JMc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Renger,

The flights run continuously, every month. I'm currently booked solid May, June, July, September, and November (but plans do change). Drop me an email @ jfmc1234@Gmail.com and let me know your timeframe and what you're hoping to accomplish.

Regards,

Jon

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello hope all is well ,,,, maybe i,m late, My name is Tony live in sweden, i have PPL-H with 180 Hr 110 at enstrom and the rest at hughes 269 ,,, you stil do that, IF yes ,, i thank Will be nice to get more experiences from the flight conditions you speak about, Please cantact me at ttony037@ gmail.com and tel me more kind regande Tony

• 2 months later...

Just finished a couple months with some great co-pilots from France. Got some openings in second half of October, and November/December.

Taking both PPL and CPL pilots for one day to three weeks flying with a CFI on pipeline patrol. Rate of $150 includes fuel.

Shoot an email if interested to TJ - helicopterresumes@gmail.com