What Are My Chances? Check Out the Stats of Selected Members HERE.

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 98/137

AFAST:SIFT: 63

APFT: 280

EDUCATION: BS Music Education/Biology

FLIGHT: 13.8

BOARD: May 2019

LORS: AK State Trooper, AK State Trooper LT, College Swim Coach, Fire Department Captain, Chief Warrant Officer of the Aviation Branch

OTHER INFO:

SELECTED:Yes

• Like 2

Selected on Second Look.
GT: 126
SIFT: 54
APFT: 286
LOR's:
O7 (Retired Commanding General of Army Aviation Branch & Fort Rucker / C.E.O. of aviation contracting group.)
CW5 (AD 160th SOAR / 153EL)
CW5 (Retired Aviator / Chief Personnel proponent at Rucker.)
CW4 (AD 160th SOAR / 153E / Personal Friend for several years.)
O5 (Retied VA Coordinator of my school.)
Family Friend (Retired Army Aviator during Vietnam)
School: 87 Credits, 3.6 GPA, A.S. Physics
Military: None
Flight: 5 Hours Rotary-Wing
Physical: Stamped - Fully Qualified
Med/Moral Waivers: None
Note: Don't give up if you weren't selected the first time. I almost lost hope, but I made improvements and got selected eventually.
  • Like 1

Civilian Applicant - first look selected May 2019

GT: 133

SIFT: 56

LORs: CW3, CW4, CW4 (all aviators)

APFT: 285

Bachelors Degree - Major in Chemistry, Minor in Materials Engineering

Physical stamped with no waivers

Flight hours: none

Other:

Had PRK eye surgery last year

• Like 2

ASVAB: 99

SIFT: 67

APFT: 283

EDUCATION: Washington State University, GPA 3.9

FLIGHT: 7 hours fixed-wing

LORs: O-7 Army (Ret), O-6 USAF (Ret), Washington Secretary of State

OTHER: ~120 volunteer hours

SELECTED: Civilian, first look- May 2019

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 93/128

SIFT: 59

APFT: 270

EDUCATION: 31 Semester Hours 3.75 GPA (Accounting)

MILITARY: SPC (P) 28 months TIS

Airborne

SERE-C

FLIGHT: None

LORS: O-3, O-3, O-5, CW5

OTHER INFO: No waivers

SELECTED: May 2019 board (First Look)

ASVAB: 97

SIFT: 58

APFT: 263

EDUCATION: B.S. 3.2 GPA

MILITARY: USMC Captain 5 years service

LORS: CW4 Aviator(60), O3 Aviator(64), O3 USMC, O5 USMC Squadron Commander

OTHER INFO: No waivers

SELECTED: March 2019 board (First Look)

GT: 116
SIFT: 59
APFT: 290
EDUCATION: CCAF (Associate's); 70~ credits towards BS in Aeronautics
LORS: O-3 (OIC); O-5 (CC); CW5 (160th 60 pilot); CW4 (64 pilot); CW4 (64 pilot)
OTHER INFO: E-5 Active Duty Air Force; 4 yrs TIS; one NCOER (AF is a little different); No waivers but had PRK a year prior
SELECTED: First look May 2019

For other sister service applicants, I went to my First Sergeant and Commander at the beginning of the process (circumventing chain of command) it made the entire process easier when it came to routing paperwork and getting documents signed in a timely manner and left my supervision out of it. I know this is a no-go for some but it worked for me. Also, try to do all the ground work yourself, they'll be grateful to sign an LOR when it's handed to them on a silver platter.

GT: 119

SIFT: 47

APFT: 300

Military: Current SOF Operator for 6 years (9 years TIS)

LORs: Battalion Commander, Company Commander (O4), and Current CW3 Apache Pilot

Physical: Fully Stamped/no issues

Flight Time: None (unless you count falling out of black-hawks with a parachute on)

Med/Moral Waivers: None

Selected: First Look MAY 2019

The 3 biggest pieces of advice I can give are:

1. Ensure that all your accomplishments and leadership abilities are quantified and highlighted throughout your essay and packet. Warrant Officers are leaders, and as such you need to prove to the board you are capable of leading in the position you are applying for. Remember it is all about potential.

2. Ensure your packet is 99% done prior to approaching any Aviator or Senior leader about a letter of recommendation. They want to see you are committed to pursuing this career and not just "hey I think I want to fly, can you write me a letter?".

3. Don't think that you are a "shoo in". Don't think that having a letter from a CW5, a COL, a GEN or having your private pilots license, or you are a currently serving crew chief, will make you automatically selected. This forum has proven time and time again that those things are minuscule in the grand scope of who you are as a civilian or soldier. Prove to the board that you are what we call in the SOF community the "full spectrum soldier". You need to be good all around, not just in one area. Stay humble and always look to improve.

Good luck to you all and may you get selected first look.

-Richie

• Like 3

The 3 biggest pieces of advice I can give are:

2. Ensure your packet is 99% done prior to approaching any Aviator.

-Richie

I think bullet one was valid, but 2 and 3 not so much. If anyone is told by a warrant to have the packet 99% complete then find another one. I help applicants all the time. Im only a CW2 but I know who to talk to. Keep looking! Have one ready to be signed!

Also, number 3. Just get the packet done. The Army is desperate for pilots. You will get selected. Most of us are all getting out to take advantage of the civilian market. Everyone everywhere needs pilots.

• Like 1

I think bullet one was valid, but 2 and 3 not so much. If anyone is told by a warrant to have the packet 99% complete then find another one. I help applicants all the time. Im only a CW2 but I know who to talk to. Keep looking! Have one ready to be signed!

Also, number 3. Just get the packet done. The Army is desperate for pilots. You will get selected. Most of us are all getting out to take advantage of the civilian market. Everyone everywhere needs pilots.

I think he's spot on. I will talk to guys and explain what it's actually like to be a warrant officer all day long but if you want a recommendation your packet better be almost complete and with recommendations already written by company and battalion commanders.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

GT: 121

APFT: 271

SIFT: NEED TO TAKE

Flight: NONE

Military: Prior 0331/0352 USMC (Pvt-Sgt) / USMCR (Sgt-SSgt), Presently 11B (Sgt) in the Kansas NG. Note going from E6 in the Corps to E5 in the NG, this was NOT a disciplinary action rather the Guard unit i'm with didn't have any open E6 slots for the deployment we just came off of.

TIS: 15 Years (Is this a concern?)

LORs: Multiple O6 USMC Aviators, O5 MARSOC IMA DET commander, CWO3 Aviator and possibly a CWO5 (pending)

Med/Moral Waivers: NONE

Waivers in general: AGE (my biggest concern here, and reason for posting in this thread)

My chief concerns are (A) SIFT score. I've been studying day and night and feel confident about attaining a good score. (B) Age waiver. I've been assured by multiple aviators both currently in Flight Training and those who are already flying in Big Army that my age isn't a concern however, for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that my age might be a big concern. © My eyesight. It's correctable to 20/20 w/ glasses. I don't see where this is a disqualifying factor however again I can't shake the feeling this might be "not good". (D) TIS. No where do I see a "TIS maximum" nor have I found where people reference "having been in too long". Is this something to consider?

GT: 121

APFT: 271

SIFT: NEED TO TAKE

Flight: NONE

Military: Prior 0331/0352 USMC (Pvt-Sgt) / USMCR (Sgt-SSgt), Presently 11B (Sgt) in the Kansas NG. Note going from E6 in the Corps to E5 in the NG, this was NOT a disciplinary action rather the Guard unit i'm with didn't have any open E6 slots for the deployment we just came off of.

TIS: 15 Years (Is this a concern?)

LORs: Multiple O6 USMC Aviators, O5 MARSOC IMA DET commander, CWO3 Aviator and possibly a CWO5 (pending)

Med/Moral Waivers: NONE

Waivers in general: AGE (my biggest concern here, and reason for posting in this thread)

My chief concerns are (A) SIFT score. I've been studying day and night and feel confident about attaining a good score. (B) Age waiver. I've been assured by multiple aviators both currently in Flight Training and those who are already flying in Big Army that my age isn't a concern however, for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that my age might be a big concern. © My eyesight. It's correctable to 20/20 w/ glasses. I don't see where this is a disqualifying factor however again I can't shake the feeling this might be "not good". (D) TIS. No where do I see a "TIS maximum" nor have I found where people reference "having been in too long". Is this something to consider?

This thread is specifically for members of this forum who have been selected. To post their stats for future members to reference accordingly. Your post is in the wrong thread. Also, youll need a waiver for TIS since the maximum is now 8 years AFS. Please note the thread title, Check Out the Stats of Selected Members HERE.

• Like 2

*SELECTED*

AD Army

ASVAB/GT: 94/132

SIFT: 46

APFT: 293

Flight Physical: Stamped/ hearing waiver

Education: 37 credits towards BS

Mil: E-7- 12 years TIS, All top block ncoers- airborne/air assault/pathfinder/jumpmaster/RSLC/Ranger

Top awards: bronze star- meritorious service medal- 5 arcoms

LORs: 0-3, 0-5, CW3, CW4

Waivers: age and afs approved

Good luck to everyone!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 79/114

SIFT: 56
APFT: 278
EDUCATION: 13 COLLEGE CREDITS
FLIGHT: n/a
BOARD: n/a
LORS: CW3(Pilot), 2x CPT (Past active duty CO and current guard CO), LTC (current BN Co)
OTHER INFO: Had PRK 8 months prior to board or 3 months prior to flight physical. E5 Supply; was active for 5 years now currently a supply guy for Aviation BN, Natl Guard.
SELECTED: JUNE 2019

• 3 months later...

Selected 1st Look - NOV19

AD U.S. Coast Guard

MOS: AET / Flight Mechanic (Crew Chief) with 750+ hours NRCM experience, NRCM Flight Instructor and Examining Board Member.

TIS: 10

SIFT: 57

APFT: 272

College : 25 credits towards Technical Management degree. 55 credits total.

LOR: O-4, O-6x3, CW4 Instructor Pilot.

ETP: Age, AFS, and Moral (the trifecta).

Medical: No waivers.

Note: I was denied Age / Moral waivers in July 2018 (AFS was still 12 or less when I submitted). I was just over the age limit at the time. I was selected by the National Guard (modified "Street to Seat" sister service) in January 2019. I won't name the state as it really doesn't matter at this point. I may have mentioned them in previous posts, oh well. Waivers were approved by the NGB in May 2019. Recruiting command and myself could not reach an agreement on my acession process (way more complicated than I care to share). As I began to feel that process fall apart, I decided to submit another AD packet. I submitted on time in early September for the November Board and waivers were approved in October... I officially turned down the National Guard in late September before I knew of my AD waiver status. If you have any questions about any of these experiences shoot me a message. I'm glad to help anyone. There were several people on this forum who were crucial to my selection. I was given invaluable guidance on my packet structure, LORs, and waivers. My process began 2 years ago, never give up! Best of luck to everyone!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Selected first look November 2019

S2S

GT: 135

SIFT: 61

APFT: 250

College: BA Communications Studies, Business Minor, 2.5 GPA, 120 Credit Hours

High School: 3.6 GPA

LOR: Private Pilot Flight Instructor, CO ARNG O6, Ret. LA ARNG O6

Flight: 43 Hours Fixed Wing Towards PPL

Waivers: None

Notes: It wasn't an easy path to selection but it was so worth it. I missed the May board because of expired finger prints, then found out the Army changed it's mind on how long flight physicals are valid for (6 months before you board, 18 months after you board even if not selected is what my recruiters told me). This caused me to miss the July board. I submitted for the September board but my packet was lost in the weeds at the battalion level even though it was approved by them. Finally was looked at in November! I agonized over my GPA, I thought I had tanked my chances at selection because of my time in college. Looking back on it I think my essay, letters, and flight hours are what made the difference. If you're serious about this, you can do it. My WOFT packet was a part of my day every day for 18 months and I don't regret one second of it. I leave for BCT at Ft. Jackson in March and will finally step foot on Rucker in May, keep your nose down and don't ever quit! Good luck to all you future aviators!

• Like 1

Question.

How much does college matter? I have zero college credits but I have a 290 APFT, 93 ASVAB, 137 GT, and 56 SIFT. I also have 3 letters of recommendation, 2 are from CW5’s and the other from an O4 army aviator. Am I still competitive? Or am I totally screwed because of no college?