What Are My Chances? Check Out the Stats of Selected Members HERE.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for the January selectees. 

*personal request *

If anyone was selected with a moral waiver submission, I’d love to take a look at it. I’ve read the guidelines on the WO recruiting site and multiple posts, but I think getting eyes on someone’s would be greatly beneficial...and appreciated! My inbox is open and I can message you my email. Thanks!

MILITARY: AD USAF, AIRCRAFT MECHANIC, 6YRS TIS, E5

GT: 110

SIFT: 43

APFT: 294

EDUCATION: SOME COLLEGE 3.0 GPA

FLIGHT: NONE

LOR: SQUADRON COMMANDER O-5, GROUP COMMANDER O-6, CCWO CW5

WAIVERS: NONE (HAD PRK DONE IN APRIL '19)

MISC: AIRMAN LEADERSHIP SCHOOL, C-17A ENGINE RUN CERTIFIED, TOP BLOCK NCOER's

FQ-S FIRST LOOK ON JANUARY BOARD

Spent over a year building my packet. I built a strong resume, had strong LoR's, and trained my ass off for the APFT. Also studied my ass off for the SIFT but fell very short there. I do not know what goes in to the selection process but my advice is to do your best in every area that you have control over. I believe they use a whole person concept when rating you. Also, don't look like a slob in your DA photo. Cheers and good luck to all future applicants! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MILITARY: Active Duty Army - 68C - CPL - 4 years TIS - No Deployment

GT: 119

SIFT: 57

APFT: 221

EDUCATION: 45 credits 3.7 GPA

LOR: O-3, O-5, CW5

WAIVERS: NONE 

MISC:  Not sure if it helps, but I'm in a 20 level slot, in charge of other soldiers, signed for a pretty penny in hand receipts with no losses.

FQ-S FIRST LOOK ON JANUARY BOARD

Was pretty feeling pretty doubtful that I'd get selected given my weak PT score, but I guess you never really know til you submit the packet. Good luck to everyone pursuing this path. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Selected for the National Guard today!! Thank you to everyone who helped me this past year, this forum is an amazing resource and I plan to pass it on! 

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 97/124

SIFT: 61

APFT: 283

EDUCATION: Associate of Science, Information Technology

FLIGHT: None

BOARD: Civilian

LORS: O4, O5, CW4, Coworker, two college professors

SELECTED: April 2020 

WAIVERS: Moral

• 4 weeks later...

NG Army/Current AD Navy

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 83/121

SIFT: 56

APFT: 287

EDUCATION: High school

FLIGHT: 11 hours towards PPL but I don’t think they even looked at this on the board

BOARD: May 2020 OR NG board for CH-47

LORS: Current CO, XO, CW5x2, O-6, O-7  they cared more about what my CO and XO said about me more than anything as they deal with me more often.

OTHER INFO: High ranking evals including being number one E5 on my last one. SERE and dunker already complete.

SELECTED: Yes

Been a lurker for two years to the month and was selected once before for another state but turned it down because the way they wanted to do things without a letter of acceptance. I got some valuable info off of here and don’t be afraid to reach out if you need help. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got selected on my first look.

Active Duty Army

Bachelors Degree, one semester of Graduate work

13.5 hours of flight

62 SIFT

127 GT

300 APFT

Prior Service: Naval Officer

LORs: O-5 Navy Pilot, cw5 army pilot, E-9 navy

One exception to policy request

I was notified today of my selection from the combined March/May board! I'm a civilian who just graduated college and got picked up on my first look. I'll be going active duty.

GT: 133

SIFT: 62

APFT: 270

EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree: Manufacturing Engineering, 3.95 GPA     Associate's Degree: Manufacturing Technology, 3.98 GPA

LORs: O3, former boss (engineering manager), and two college professors each from different academic departments

WAIVERS: None

FLIGHT: None

• 2 weeks later...

MILITARY: E-5, Air Force- 5 years TIS.  A few deployments supporting joint units

GT: 137

SIFT: 75

APFT: 234 (oof)

EDUCATION: Associates Degree: 3.7 GPA, 151 Credits total

LORs: O-5 Squadron Commander, O-5 Marine Aviator, SOAR CW5, Ret. CW4 Apache Pilot/instructor

WAIVERS: None

FLIGHT: PPL Single Engine Land/Sea, Complex 140 Hours

First Look.

MILITARY: Active Duty Army - 91B - SSG - 8 years TIS - 2 Deployments

GT: 116

SIFT: 56

APFT: 291

EDUCATION: 16 Credits at ERAU towards BS-Aeronautics

LOR: O-3, O-4, CW5, MAJ (AV), BG (AV)

WAIVERS: NONE (Rolled 8 years during the COVID hold) 

Selected first look after being a FQ-NS/NS-NC in 2018

• Like 1

E-6, 10 years TIS

12N, deployed once OEF, current drill sergeant

GT Score: 121

SIFT: 56

APFT: 277

Education: 48 credit hrs/ 3.8 GPA

LOR: O3, O5, CW4

Physical: Stamped

Waivers: TIS approved. 

attempted in 2015

first board selection this time. 

• Like 1

MILITARY: 11B, E-5, 6 years TIS

GT: 129

SIFT: 59

APFT: 274

EDUCATION: Expected AS (Wasn't able to graduate in time to update my packet with final GPA or diploma)

AWARDS: EIB, Air Assault, Airborne, ARCOM, AAM x3

LOR: O3, O5, CW5 (153AH)

WAIVERS: None

FLIGHT: None

(FIRST LOOK) May Board

MILITARY: E-6 11B 7yrs TIS 3yrs TIG  2 deployments to Afghanistan 

GT:134

SIFT 51

APFT 287

COLLEGE: 107credits 2.05 GPA

AWARDS: 4 ARCOMS 6 AAM’s CIB, EIB, INSTRUCTOR BADGE

SCHOOLS: AIR ASSAULT, AIRBORNE, SENIOR RATED JM, UMO, AMO, UPL, COUNTER IED, BREACHER COURSE. BLC( Commandants list) ALC Distinguished Honor Grad)

LOR O-3, O-5, CW3 160th, CW5 SMU

wavier: NONE

flight:  NONE

(FIRST LOOK) MAY

As I looked at my stats compared to many others I felt I was just average. With that, in my opinion a lot of what the board looks at is LOR’s, ERB, DA photo, and senior rater comments on NCOER’s and the resume. 

LOR’s:   everyone of my LOR’s has the same message. A top performer who will be successful due to my work ethic, leadership ability and having outperformed my peers. When these things are repeated by numerous people over and over again through numerous LOR’s it gives the board a better picture of who you are.

ERB: all my duty assignments matches my NCOER’s. Honestly just make sure everything is up to date. 

DA PHOTO: make sure everything that is on your uniform matches your ERB. It should go without saying but make sure everything on your uniform is properly spaced.

NCOER’s: The board doesn’t have enough time to read every NCOER. With that, I believe they look at senior rater comments and your ranking vs your peers. Mine were 3 of 15. 1 of 4, 1 of 4. With a top block in there. In the comments it was always promote ahead of peers.

Resume:  So basically how can you sell yourself to the board. Make it unique to you. What do you bring to the table. What are the defining characteristics that separate you from your peers. Lastly, what do you bring to aviation? Don’t try to write an 8 paragraph summary of your life. 

if you have the ability to get a copy of someone’s packet that was selected, get it. Not to copy it,  but as a guide to make sure you are on the right track. This process can be a long one, but it doesn’t have to be. From start to finish I was done in 5 months, to include the physical. Total time from packet submission to selection about 7 months. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. Good luck

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

AD Coast Guard

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 90/124

SIFT: 62

APFT: 273

EDUCATION: Bachelors 2.1 B.A. General Education 

FLIGHT: 65 hours + PPL ASEL

LORS: CW4 (64 driver at FT Rucker), O4, O5

AWARDS: 2 CGAM

OTHER INFO: 2018 USO Guam Service Member of the Year

WAIVERS: TIS

SELECTED: May 2020 First Look

Selected this board; 2nd look

AD Army; 12B Combat Engineer

GT : 112

SIFT : 55

APFT : 283

EDUCATION : 95 college credits 3.5GPA

FLIGHT : None

LOR : O-5, O-3, CW5, CW4 ret.

Awards: 4 ARCOM, 4 AAM, 4 COA

Other info: Airborne (20 jumps), Air Assault, Recruiter, Basic-Advanced-Senior leaders course (Commandants on all), Special Forces Assessment and Selection (Selected; failed SFQC) 2 combat tours Afghanistan (22 Months)

PHYSICAL : Stamped 

WAIVERS : AFS

difference between May board and this one: 

increased PT score by 13 Pts, updated college credits by 9**, added a LOR, revised and shortened my essay. Good luck gents I hope this helps!

** my original board was in March. I completed 3 college classes online since I turned in my packet in January. 

Selected this board, 1st look

GT : 130

SIFT : 60

APFT : 260

EDUCATION : Bachelor’s of Music, LSU - 2.77

Master’s of Music, Roosevelt University - 3.44

LOR : O-5, CW5, CW3

I used all of the advice I could find on this forum. Study your @$$ off for the SIFT...you effectively might only have one shot for the test. Use khanacademy.com and every study guide available 

Selected this board; 2nd look

Prior service USMC

GT : 110

SIFT : 50

APFT : 291

EDUCATION : 64 college credits 2.8gpa

FLIGHT : 5.4 hours of flight training in R-22, Certification to train

LOR : O-4, Congressman, CWO4, Civilian Boss, Family airline pilot

WAIVERS : none

difference between May board and this one: 

Added Congressman LOR, fixed O4 LOR, added flight training, new DA photo, changed essay.

Some tips, from me and the CWO4 who helped me..

I HIGHLY recommend reaching out to a WO to AT LEAST look over your packet for mistakes. WO LORs help too, obviously. I did not do this for the first board and I think that was a major reason I did not get selected on the first look. Senior WOs know what is needed to get selected so they are usually pretty willing to help, or lead you to someone who will. They will fix the common errors on your packet that you did not realize was an error. The CWO4 who looked over mine said one of the most important things about these packets are the ATTENTION TO DETAIL when putting them together. It needs to be exactly like the sample packets. I am a street to seater, so the checklist is little different, but again, that is why its important to have someone look over it. Don't be intimidated to contact a WO! Use google to find an aviation unit call call call!!

When it comes to the essay, shorter is better. The first and last sentence of each paragraph need to be strong. Fluff up the middle with some number stats of stuff you've done. The human eye tends to read numbers first. These board members spend like 5 minutes on each packet, and they are going through 100s of applicants for all WO positions. Less is more. 

If you can afford fight training, DO IT! I went to a flight school and told them I wanted to do a few hours to make myself more competitive. So I got about 5.5 in a couple weeks in an R-22. I did a basic safety course and got a CERT for it, and all we did was flight time. I submitted the CERT and my flight hours log in my packet. Its not much, but it proves I'm qualified to fly, and capable.

Also, recruiters don't have all the answers🤪

• Like 2

GT : 117

SIFT : 55

APFT : 279

EDUCATION : 206 credits- AAS Electronics Technology, BS Exercise Science

LOR : O-3, 0-4, O-6, CW4

WAIVERS : Age, Moral, Medical

Selected: Yes

Applied May 2019 and had my Age Waiver disapproved. Waited a year to apply again this time my age waiver was approved. Biggest change I made to my packet was improving my PT score by 46 points. Also had my new company commander write an LOR to add to the existing letters I already had.