January Selection Board

Since the November Selection Board has now concluded, those of us waiting for the January Board have nothing better than to speculate and pass rumors. I figured it's never too early to start one of these threads so here it is.

Good luck to all!

• Like 1

So, I'll start the stats game off.

Age - 29

AFAST - 145

ASVAB/GT - 97/135

College - 50 hrs 3.75 GPA

APFT - Yet to take (est. 260-270)

PPL - none

LORs - USMC Col, USMC CWO4, USMC GySgt, Army LtCol Kiowa Pilot, and in talks with an Army CW5 Kiowa Pilot

Battalion Board - Scheduled for the week prior to the USAREC board in Jan

Waivers - PRK still waiting to hear from Rucker

Edit: Previous Service - 8 Years USMC (Forgot to put that part in there)

Edited by j.matt
  • Like 1

I suppose I'll throw my hat in the ring, although I'm not 100% sure I will be on this board.

Age - 23

AFAST - 140

ASVAB/GT - 94/125

College - Bachelors Degree complete, 1/3 of the way through Masters of Aeronautical Science (3.75 GPA)

APFT - In progress

Flight Time - Working CFI, 280 hours (PPL-H, CPL-H, CFI-H)

LORs - 160th SOAR CW5, CW4 Standardization IP, two of my CFIs, boss from my old job working the flight line

Battalion Board - not completed.

• Like 3

Right on, Let's go Jan Board!

ASVAB: 94

GT: 128

AFAST: 146

APFT: 267

College Degree: BAS Information Technology.

GPA: 3.77, Summa Cum Laude.

AV Exp: Commercial Pilot Licence. Helicopter. 260hrs.

LoR: Ground Instructor, Flight Instructor, College Professor, Corporate VP.

Battalion Board: upcoming on Nov 20th.

• Like 1

Hellfire, are you pursuing your CFI?

I did all the flight training (full downs are awesome :D), and even had both the FOI and CFI written done; but other things came up that prevented me from paying for the check ride and reaching the 300hrs that everybody down here asks to hire you as a CFI..

With that said.. how are you working as an instructor with 280?

I did all the flight training (full downs are awesome :D), and even had both the FOI and CFI written done; but other things came up that prevented me from paying for the check ride and reaching the 300hrs that everybody down here asks to hire you as a CFI..

With that said.. how are you working as an instructor with 280?

Not all of our ships are on Pathfinder insurance, that's why. The 300 hours is just an insurance thing. I was hired with 225 hours, about a couple weeks after my CFI ride. Go after that CFI checkride before the board! At the very least, write "pursuing CFI certificate" on your resume next to your flight time.

And yeah, full downs are f*cking phenomenal! Autorotations have always been my favorite maneuver. Have you been to the factory yet? (Assuming you are training in Robbies).

The 300 hours is just an insurance thing

I was aware of that, but it looks like most schools here have that same insurance setup...

I had to cancel my safety training at Torrance, and now there is something like a 6 month wait for the next available class..

I really want to pursue my IFR and CFI, but I am not sure if the investment is worth it, assuming that I get accepted through the WOFT...

I was aware of that, but it looks like most schools here have that same insurance setup...

I had to cancel my safety training at Torrance, and now there is something like a 6 month wait for the next available class..

I really want to pursue my IFR and CFI, but I am not sure if the investment is worth it, assuming that I get accepted through the WOFT...

You got the hours - get your CFI. Instrument will require you to do the training and pay more money. You'll get an IFR rating at Rucker anyway. You'll only get your CFI if you become an IP, and there is no guarantee of that whatsoever. Might as well pick up your CFI right now, since you have the hours and the training already done. It's just a checkride.

Your hours over 200 are pointless without a CFI rating, if that makes sense. It doesn't matter to you (since you are going WOFT) if you aren't hireable until 300 hours. However, you have 260, so get the rating (CFI) to show for it.

Sorry for being blunt. :) I just think that it could be looked upon negatively to have so many hours with just a CPL rating.

• Like 1

I can't apply until June due to the incredible efficiency of the Army and getting paperwork done, so dont feel bad!

260hrs with a CPL isn't unusual for fixed wing, I don't know what the requirements are for rotary but I think you need 200 hours to even qualify for a CPL under part 91.

you are right, I should. I am going to seriously consider it. Thank you for your good advice ;).

Also consider that when you make it to a regular Army unit they're going to be extremely impressed by a CFI. Instructing in the Army is reserved for the top pilots. Very few of them realize it's common for a 200 hour civilian pilot.

• Like 2

260hrs with a CPL isn't unusual for fixed wing, I don't know what the requirements are for rotary but I think you need 200 hours to even qualify for a CPL under part 91.

However, for rotary-wing it is unusual. Our CPL hour requirements are less than yours. 150 total flight time, 100 PIC for helicopters as opposed to the 250 hour requirement for fixed-wing. And I believe you mean under Part 61. Specifically, 14 CFR 61.121.

• Like 1

Thank you guys, I would like to become an IP in the Army, so I think it would be a good idea to get my FAA CFI done before I get in, even if I don't get to instruct. I am sure it could help.

I have been tutoring ground for private and commercial for a few years now.. It feels good to be able to assist other pilots getting their knowledge straight. It also allows me to keep the knowledge fresh.. But teaching how to fly must be super awesome, so..

..congrats Lindsey on your first Private Pilot!

• Like 1

*cough* 66 days until the board *cough*

Not gonna do this every day until then, ha. Just bored between push up and sit up sets.

Lol you better get that cough looked at before your bct lol

;)

• Like 1