1) Applicant

2) 27

3) Sacramento, CA

4) APFT: 241

5) AFAST/GT 132/121

6) Active Duty

7) No Waivers

8) Flight Physical: complete

9) Education: Associates in Aviation Maintenance 3.8 GPA (83 credits)

10) Additional: CH-47 Non-Rated Crewmember Flight Instructor, FAA Airframe and Powerplant License

11) CW5 Maintenance Examiner LOR

12) Current Occupation: Rotary Wing Systems Instructor

I'm hoping that the beginning of the fiscal year and the first board for active duty will have the most spots. I sent my packet off last week, so it'll be a few days before I find out if it was administratively correct. I'll be working on my PT score in anticipation of my first look being denied. I hate planning for failure, but it's always good to have contingencies.

• 3 weeks later...

1) 21

2) Fort Bragg, USASOC

3) APFT: 295

4) AFAST: 125

5) GT: 128

6) Active Duty, 3 yrs TIS, E5

7) No Waivers

8) Flight Physical: Complete/No Waivers

9) Education: High School

10) LOR: CW5 Detachment commander, 0-6, 0-5

I've had multiple Aviators look my packet over they say it's very competitive, however looking at what's on this forum I've got squash! Any input?

That's the thing about the active side. I haven't ever heard from many people who are applying from the active side, but in the stats from last FY there seems to have been an astronomical amount of people applying compared to people applying from the civilian side.

When people refer to "stats from the last board" where are they finding these? I would like to see what the "average" active duty applicant is made of. As the time gets closer I get more nervous!

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16159-what-are-my-chances-check-out-the-stats-of-selected-members-here/

I'm debating whether or not I want to reach out to other CW5s I know for more letters before the update submission deadline. I just don't get the impression more than one is that useful for active duty applicants.

I'd love any input from anyone who was selected recently how I compare to other active duty applicants. What kind of credentials do the guys in your flight school classes have?

Lindsey: I'm not ignoring your post, but I count only one active duty army applicant in that thread you linked to. I'd say I'm looking competitive at the moment. However, that's without seeing his ERB or knowing what weight the board places on each area.

Most of the statistics that we have for the boards is just from talking to one another and seeing who got selected and who didn't. Some of the other stats like the total number that applied and the total number accepted and such come from people asking their recruiters. Some have some of the additional info some don't. We rarely hear much from the active side.

Here's a link to a article CW5 Reese put out about the overall numbers. I know it's from FY 11 so numbers will probably be different with the announcement of the withdrawal from Afghanistan and the draw down of total forces.

http://www.quad-a.org/images/pdf/Magazine/Dec2011/Reese_1211p12.pdf

As you can see in FY 11 active applicants had a 21% selection rate with almost 1000 boarded. But their stats are also listed so you can go from there. I assume it may be a little more competitive just because of the times.

I'm debating whether or not I want to reach out to other CW5s I know for more letters before the update submission deadline. I just don't get the impression more than one is that useful for active duty applicants.

You are correct, for active duty applicants, the only letters that are reviewed when your packet comes up in front of the board is the LOR from your Company Commander, BN Commander and a Warrant Officer Aviator. Also keep in mind that your packet is reviewed and voted on with a numerical value in inutes or less. More letters just make it messy and you risk the board member just picking one to read.

Mike-

• Like 1

You are correct, for active duty applicants, the only letters that are reviewed when your packet comes up in front of the board is the LOR from your Company Commander, BN Commander and a Warrant Officer Aviator. Also keep in mind that your packet is reviewed and voted on with a numerical value in inutes or less. More letters just make it messy and you risk the board member just picking one to read.

Mike-

Yeah when I got picked up the packet specifically said only 3 LORs as you described. No other letters were even looked at. I personally think they should have kept that policy. It becomes a letter war to see who can get the highest ranking or the most letters. It's almost like networking for a civilian job. It helps, but your qualifications should get you hired not who you know in the food chain.

• Like 1

That's rather reassuring as I'm not friends with any general officers. My LOR is solid, but it's someone I've known a couple years and work with daily. I'm glad to hear it's more about our credentials.

I wish there was a bloody enthusiasm meter where the board could score how much the applicant wants this career. I think I'd be pretty much set there. Another month and a half to agonize over this...

• Like 1

your qualifications should get you hired not who you know in the food chain.
I agree, to an extent. Quite often, it's your qualifications that get the higher ups to recognize you and be willing to endorse your pursuits. A top performer is going to get the attention of those who are in superior positions of responsibility/authority, and should not be discounted as someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth (in all cases). Endorsements from higher ups help validate the claims you are making and give the reviewer a since of security to hire you. Is this abused, most certainly, but we shouldn't discredit the whole system because a few misuse it. My point is this: it takes both qualifications and networking because they are interconnected. Qualifications beget networks, networks corroborate qualifications. Not trying to be argumentative, just offering a different point of view.
  • Like 1

So, I've had a set-back but seems like things are going to work out. I've been having some problems getting my flight physical approved by Fort Rucker. Since I am in the Marine Corps, I had my original flight physical done by the Navy. I cleared the Navy's physical and had that sent to Rucker but it's just been sitting for the last few months and haven't heard anything about it. The LTC that wrote one of my LORs had one of the soldiers look up the status (since I wasn't getting anywhere with my recruiter) and found that because of the differences in standards between the services I was missing a couple items. I finally got my recruiter moving and he got me in contact with a local Army flight surgeon. In talking with the flight surgeon he made the call that because there are such differences that he wants to completely re-do my physical and PRK waiver. Blah.

So I guess that's good to get it all done at one place to make it easier to get approved by Rucker and since my last physical was almost a year and a half ago this one should be good enough to get me through everything.

Question: Since it's getting down to the last month before the board, how long has everybody else's physical's been taking to get approved by Rucker? I should be able to get in next week and the flight surgeon said he's going to do the whole thing in one day to move it along.

And another bit of good news, the CW5 pilot that I met a month ago should have a LOR to me within the week.

Ok. Thanks guys. I'm just hoping it can get approved in time for the January board. I've got an appt to get it done next week so that should be enough time. If this causes me not to be on the board I'm going to flip. My recruiter kept telling me it was fine and now it's not and has to be completely re-done.