Lots of questions for Helicopter Piloting

Repalutez

Hi, I'm Tomas and I'm 18 years old. I've wanted to be a Helicopter Pilot for a while now and I don't have much money for trainning but I still hope I can one day pilot helicopters with pay. I want to know what to expect (types of jobs, wages, trainning). I have done a little research about it but I want to ask people who are in the business. So here it goes:

1) How should I achieve becomming a Helicopter Pilot as a profession (or get paid to fly helicopters)

2) What is the pay like for different jobs? Is the pay per hour or is the pay a different method?

3) What type of trainning or school should I go to?

4) How much would it cost(for the trainning) to get a licensethat can give me decent paying job? Also How much flight hours would I need to get the license, are there multiple ways that are better than others to get this license?

5) Should I go to college and take a math and english course, and possibly other courses or go to a helicopter pilot school / trainning first?

6) Since I don't have much money what is a good way to pay for the trainning? Should I join the military for helicopter pilot trainning and work for them? (I am hoping transfering cargo in the states rather than being in the front line)

Thanks for the suggestions, and any other additional tips or advise is appreciated

Good questions Tomas.

1) How should I achieve becomming a Helicopter Pilot as a profession (or get paid to fly helicopters)

You will go through flight training to earn your pilot's license. In order to earn money flying you will need at least a commercial pilot license. Most pilots go a step further and earn their flight instructor certificates and build their hours instructing. Once you have built enough hours, you can start applying for other jobs. Nothing is guaranteed, and it can be a long and frustrating process before you land a good job.

2) What is the pay like for different jobs? Is the pay per hour or is the pay a different method?

It depends on who you're working for and what you're doing.

3) What type of trainning or school should I go to?

Find a flight school that is reasonably priced and convenient for you. You may have to relocate.

4) How much would it cost(for the trainning) to get a licensethat can give me decent paying job? Also How much flight hours would I need to get the license, are there multiple ways that are better than others to get this license?

Most schools will have a cost breakdown factoring in their rates. Keep in mind that those estimates are a minimum which students rarely meet.

5) Should I go to college and take a math and english course, and possibly other courses or go to a helicopter pilot school / trainning first?

Why would you go to college and take just one or two classes? I think everyone would recommend that you get some sort of degree. When and what you get is entirely up to you, but I would recommend not trying to do flight training and college at the same time.

6) Since I don't have much money what is a good way to pay for the trainning? Should I join the military for helicopter pilot trainning and work for them? (I am hoping transfering cargo in the states rather than being in the front line)

Flying a helicopter in the military means being in harms way. If you don't want to risk being deployed and getting shot at don't try to fly for the military. That said, there are many excellent paths to becoming a helicopter pilot should you choose to pursue it.

This are some very basic answers to your question and others here can probably answer better than I can.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Pay is very competitive if you are trained well. I would recommend getting a commercial license, I received mine and am very glad I did. I now have a great paying job. The best training for the price is for sure at Hillsboro Aero Academy (http://www.flyhaa.com/helicopter/courses/). I spent around $30k but was able to pay it back in a few years. I would recommend Hillsboro to anyone.