Getting into Firefighting Position?

wombosi

Just wondering how difficult it is to get into firefighting, compared to GOM, Tours, etc... Are there very few positions, or just a very high minimum hours and experience in certain helicopters requirements, or both?

This to me seems the most exciting and rewarding position in helicopters.

To firefight you have to be carded. To get carded you have to have 1500 hours total, 50 hours in type and 100 turbine I think. Plus you obviously have to have the skills to do all the maneuvers and long line to pass the checkride. The hardest part is finding a company who will give you a shot. I would say its getting harder and harder to find a company that will buy their out there. I would say most guys nowadays have 2500-3000 hours when they get carded. Google AMD/forest service carding requirements.

Just wondering how difficult it is to get into firefighting, compared to GOM, Tours, etc... Are there very few positions, or just a very high minimum hours and experience in certain helicopters requirements, or both?

This to me seems the most exciting and rewarding position in helicopters.

Good starting point below (Link):

The life as a Contract Pilot " Fire Fighting"

• Like 1

Fire is a fairly small community, but most pilots who do fire do other things, too. Even on a fire, most pilots do multiple roles; it may be troop ferry duty, flying in hot meals, dropping water or foam, fire recon, etc. A relatively small segment of the industry does fire, and there's not a great deal of turnover.

In terms of how hard it is to get in, consider the competition. Many more opportunities in GOM flying vs. fire, and fire is very seasonal.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I stumbled into a company that wanted me for ENG work but ended up needing a fire pilot too. I passed my carding with less than 1500 hrs PIC and was issued ny card once I met the minimums. Get a job with a company that does fire, let them know your interest in fires, and in time they will be needing a pilot and you'll already by on the payroll. 91 and 135 work with a company with EU fire contracts is the door to fires.

Fires is the best flying I've done hands down.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...