New Air Force Medal for Drone Pilots - Worn above the Bronze Star with Valor Device

I understand the need to recognize what UAV pilots do because they can really do some important and pivotal work, but as a former ground pounder for 14 months in Iraq, you can't compare what they do to what Bronze Star recipients do in combat. I could see this medal being on the "Commendation" level but certainly not on the level of a combat valor award under direct enemy fire.

• Like 2

I recently returned from a 2 week exercise at the AFB where they train USAF UAV/UAS operators. Except for their unique "wings", they wear flight suits, leather flight jackets, aviator glasses, etc and are indistinguishable fro the rated AF brethren. That said, here's the deal with UAV "pilots". You can dress em' however you want, call em' pilots, give them combat awards, accolades and all the other trappings the rest of us receive for flying in and out harms way every day and night. When it's all said and done, THEY ARE NOT PILOTS any more than an RC geek at your local airport is a pilot. We know it, they know it, and the ground force knows it, and it doesn't even need to be mentioned out loud in the company of UAV guys/gals. (except maybe the young and stupid ones) I have no doubt that a good portion of fixed and rotary wing mission will be taken over by UAS's in the next 20 years, but there is no simulator, or satellite video feed that can replace the anxiety, and responsibility a pilot at the controls feels when they enter a dust cloud, hear 7.62 pinging against the soda can thin sheet metal, watch flaming basketballs crossing your flight path, or carrying dead or dying men and women home. Someone sitting in an air conditioned trailer at a computer console in a fresh flight suit, without 60lbs of body armor and a helmet squeezing your brain in 120 degrees cannot fathom what it actually takes to be a pilot or know that you and everyone on back's return home depends soley on the decisions you make and the manipulations of the flight controls. Please, give them their own medals and award them for their bravery against the enemy. Indeed they provide an indispensable support service on the battle field, but so do the folks who unscrew my pay. I personally believe that when the award citations are read and the audience hears "UAV Pilot" they secretly stop listening:o) When my grand kids ask me what I did in the war, I know it's not going to be "I flew a remote control airplane that took great videos..." When you hear a UAV operator touting their talents, just smile and wave...smile and wave. Mike-

• Like 11

I'm reminded that great emphasis was placed on creating "Army Aviators" instead of 'pilots'.

Read military histories and one might be surprised to discover that well into WW I the bayonet was considered the decisive infantry weapon. Yes, repeating magazine-fed battle rifles were common, but much doctrine was based on the individual warrior closing with, and efficiently killing the enemy with stone age pointed stick technology. Even now the argument see-saws as to benefits of automatic fire by infantry, going from volume of fire to marksmanship and back again- they'll just waste more ammo, 30 rounds of patch and ball is enough, harumph, harumph! Culturally, humans have accepted projectile warfare...

UAVs are not combat aircraft in the conventional sense. Their operators shouldn't be compared to military aviators. It's odd that UAV operators would wear flight suits, etc. They are using a different skill set and facing unique challenges in doing that job that deserve respect in themselves. Identifying that as somehow 'being a real pilot' cheapens and insults both aviators and UAV operators.

I'm not sure where the "Aerial Achievement Medal" falls in the "kill'em with a stick" machismo realm, but some recognition is due.

P.S. I think I have a couple of Bronze Stars but no "V" devices, I ain't no hero.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

We poke fun at 'em but I don't think that the medal is really the issue here but that it ranks higher than a Bronze Star on the order of precedence.

I knew a guy who was being disciplined when he got notification of being written up for the Silver Star for the very same act he was being braced for, and he got it. I know another who was written up for a Silver Star in an action I thought was run of the mill. The difference between a goat and a hero is often how it's written up.

It was once not uncommon for ticket-punching career officers to see the advantage of having a few gongs, and you can read whatever you want into that fact. No disrespect to whoever, whatever and however, somebody thought you should have it. Military courtesy...

I can see many different and valuable ways to contribute to military success, which I think this decoration is designed to recognize unique examples of. If an individual in the 90% that doesn't see combat first hand works hard enough to be uniquely successful in assuring the survival of more of the 10%.

Is it comparable to personal valor? "Sweat before blood" means you work hard and bleed less. Having chased Charlie around until he caught us, I appreciate good intel and support work. Until it becomes part of the punch-list, that is.

It's still funny to see a somebody in nomex at a keyboard/joystick...

Edited by Wally

To see achievement being defined down one need only look at Nobel peace prize recipients of late.

Regarding Drone pilots, it seems an apt title as it insinuates what came first. Otherwise the term might be Pilot drone. No disrespect to Drones, I used to wish I was one, if I could be any animal/insect besides a human being.

• Like 2

I can see many different and valuable ways to contribute to military success, which I think this decoration is designed to recognize unique examples of. If an individual in the 90% that doesn't see combat first hand works hard enough to be uniquely successful in assuring the survival of more of the 10%.

Is it comparable to personal valor? "Sweat before blood" means you work hard and bleed less.

I understand the progression of warfare: rocks, spears, bow and arrow, rifle, etc. I accept that remotely operated systems play an increasingly vital role in our military and should be rewarded appropriately for their contribution(s). I believe that, and I don't think I'm alone in this, while we still have boots on the ground sweating, bleeding, risking life and limb, the award system should reflect that. The question I'm wondering now is why can't it be right after the Bronze Star? It would preserve the value of the award (5th from thr top) and still acknowledge meritorious actions by individuals. Is the value of the Bronze Star that watered down in the view of the higher echelons of the military that they've set it up this way?

Maybe this award is just ahead of this time and I'm too short-sighted to see it. In the end, I think you still have risk more than a piece of equipment to supercede the Bronze Star. If the accomplishment of the operator is that meritorious, why not award one of the top four medals that already exist?

It's still funny to see a somebody in nomex at a keyboard/joystick...

I did get a kick out of watching the PBS documentary on drones. It's still available for free on the PBS website.

I don't discount the need to reward these individuals for their service and achievements within their MOS, but I can't condone it's hierarchy on the list. No f'ing way it should be higher than the bronze star.

If you want to do something about it, here's the petition to the whitehouse.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/lower-precedence-new-distinguished-warfare-medal/5KdnkBBN

Standards of precedence rating "service medals" higher than combat/heroism decorations exist:

The DSM rates higher than the Silver Star.

The Defense Superior Service Medal and Legion of Merit rate above the DFC.

This is another example of an established idea.

I haven't heard anybody mention the cyberwarfare standard for the Distinguished Warfare Medal. Perhaps the perception that UAV operators are "posers" pretending to be "pilots" is the real issue? The nomex, flight jackets, helmet bags and wings do create potential conflict with people like me to whom those are indicators of professional status in certain situations. This is exactly that situation. It's not the MOS itself, it's the aspect of fakery and presumption...

Me, I think that it's time for a new identity and term for the people operating UAVs.

Edited by Wally