Advice for new EMS pilot?

Well after 3 years of flying tours I'm finally making the switch over to EMS. In the past I've always tried to learn from those who have been there and done that and with this in mind here I am asking all those who came before me if they have any words of wisdom about flying EMS.

So far I've gathered:

- Look out for wires

- Don't push weather

- Don't piss off your med crew

- Have a good book

I figured you seasoned guys must have a few extra bits of wisdom earned over time and maybe, just maybe, you'll be kind enough to share it for the benefit of all of us finally taking the job that got us interested in helicopters in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

Weather: if you are not 100% sure you can get the patient where they need to go, decline the flight. Every flight you take should have a plan B for weather, maintenance and fuel. Should you find yourself out there and the weather turns bad, please don't continue pushing on. If you have to land in the middle of nowhere then so be it. If there is a patient on board at that time, then so be it.

You are not out there to save lives. You are now being paid for your sound judgement and decision making. You will be faced with decisions that you have yet to encounter. As an EMS pilot you must take the patient out of the picture. You job is simple to fly from point A to Point B safely. The fact that someone (patient) benefited is simply a by-product. If that means declining he flight then so be it.

Lately, HEMS has suffered accidents as a result of weather (IIMC and thunderstorms). A few accidents were also the result of improper fuel planning, so, get back to the basics and do some per-flight planning prior to departing EACH leg.

Follow your gut, it will prove valuable! If it doesn't feel right, then something isn't.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Where are you going to work?

• Like 4

Exactly.

"Pull a string" on every flight request in your area, even when you know where Bubba used to live. Even with requests to other aircraft in your program.

Be skeptical of coordinates from dispatch, requesting agencies (see above). Pilotage is KING!

Keep up with fuel availability. Having your own independently acquired and definite knowledge is much better than somebody else's checking a list or promise to come in at any time.

Follow the weather, forecasts and observations. Trends will emerge. Develop local sources, "Can you see X, Y or Z?" from somebody on-site is better than a METARS 10 miles away.

Organize and refine your knowledge. I keep copious notes, specific documents on LZs with what I think are important points.

I use the heck out of crew and associates. I never ignore input, actively seek it from any source- but I make the aviation decisions, period, end of story. I will explain, educate and coordinate, but aviation is always on my terms.

• Like 3

Be cautious of LZ coordinators. They’ll provide you with the basic info but it’s up to you, and you alone, to confirm that info……

Gain intimate knowledge of your AO. At minimum, over time, drive around to inspect remote areas where you'll have a low volume of scene calls.

Talk to the locals. Just because you’re now a big-shot EMS pilot (I mean that with affection), it doesn’t mean you can’t learn something from a local R22 CFI or LE pilot who has been flying your AO for years…

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

A follow up to LZ coordinates, it is more common than not for them to be off several miles. Sometimes they give you a general lat/Lon and sometimes they give you the lat/Lon to the scene but the LZ is someplace else.

I had a flight one dark night to an ATV accident. First responders were not on scene yet so the

At/long was based off what information our dispatch was able to get. We searched for a long long time. No emergency lights to look for as they were not on scene yet. Finally, after working the details we discovered the victim was taken to his house by a friend which was several miles away. We then ended up landing there and taking him.

Point is, this work is very dynamic and you may need to make quick decisions and flight planning on the fly. Be ready to adapt to changes in the flight and know when to call it quits and go home or land.

• Like 1

Well I don't need to tell you we have a dissportionate number of accidents at night compared to day. I imagine you don't have much NVG time coming from tours??? Be very cautious in those night flights the first 6 months or so. Don't be afraid to turn one down if wx is a little iffy. If an LZ is poorly lit, or tight with obstructions, have them take the patient to somewhere acceptable. It'll take a few hundred hours of goggle time to really feel comfortable at night. I've got close to 1,200 hrs NVG and I still get rusty after a couple weeks not flying.

They brought up weather above so I'll address the crew / "good book" topic. DON"T GET INVOLVED WITH COMPANY POLITICS. That means I don't discuss pay, hospital finances or my company's financial situation at work. I don't care about my pay compared to others, I don't care if the hospital is losing money or making money. I concentrate on my duties as outlined in the GOM. This essentially means I fly with little other additional duties. I don't have the problem here but I've heard about crew romance problems at other bases. These situations almost always end badly. I've heard pilots getting run out of town because of it. Don't scare your crew! Easier said than done, but that'll get you run out of town as well.

Find things to do. I've only averaged 150 hrs last year so you can imagine there's a lot of sitting around. I personally don't have a problem with it. I spent 20 yrs on a hectic military lifestyle, now it's time to relax. You can:

Get on internet (I'm at work right now)

Read a book

Watch TV / movies (I'm watching golf)

Go to FBO and watch planes

Fly RC aircraft

Do online college

Study for next checkride

Avstar (monthly training class)

Workout

Sleep

Wash your car

Help the mechanic

Wash the aircraft

Sleep

Hit golf balls

Cookout (we do lots of that)

Sleep

Easiest job I ever had. Just show up to work on time, in a clean uniform, with a good attitude and do your job in the most safe, efficient manner possible. Good luck to ya.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good luck! I'm fairly new to EMS < a year in. So far I really enjoy it I agree with all the above. So far I havent had any problems with my crews. Just be humble and listen to them. When I go somewhere new I ask them questions about the LZ, normal arrival/departure procedures, obstructions etc. If the crew likes you and your a competent pilot you will have no issues. Talk to the other pilots at your base and listen to what they say.

Most crews I've flown with value competence above all else. If they're convinced you know what you're doing, it's all good. Part of convincing them is being smooth on the controls. Stir the pot a lot, bounce it onto the ground, and in general move everything a lot, and they'll look a little askance at you and your flying. All they know is what they see and feel. Do everything slowly, and know all you possibly can about the area and ATC procedures. The crews will be quick to spot any perceived shortcomings, and will talk about them at length to the other crews. It can be hard to overcome early perceptions, but it can be done with time. Given the choice between an arrogant a$$hole who's a smooth, competent pilot and a meek, nice guy who shakes them around and doesn't know his stuff, and they'll keep the a$$hole every time. Be nice and be competent, and they'll love you.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm new to this website and have enjoyed reading the previous posts regarding advice for the new EMS pilot. Excellent advice indeed. I have 4.5 years left on my current job and am considering an EMS job as a follow on career. Those of you currently flying EMS, what don't you like about your job? What would you change if you could? Does having both a fixed wing and helicopter ATP help secure employment? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Fly safe

I'm new to this website and have enjoyed reading the previous posts regarding advice for the new EMS pilot. Excellent advice indeed. I have 4.5 years left on my current job and am considering an EMS job as a follow on career. Those of you currently flying EMS, what don't you like about your job? What would you change if you could? Does having both a fixed wing and helicopter ATP help secure employment? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Fly safe

"Those of you currently flying EMS, what don't you like about your job?"

Paperwork that contributes nothing but a place to put your signature.

Ops manual full of boilerplate.

"What would you change if you could?"

Duty schedule with day/night rotation and 24 hour interval between day and night duty.

"Does having both a fixed wing and helicopter ATP help secure employment?"

An ATP doesn't hurt. Very few dual-rating EMS jobs and I don't know any that I would accept a position with.

Edited by Wally

Hmm. Well, my paperwork is absolutely minimal and almost all digital at this point. We're talking maybe 10 minutes with no interruptions back at base. It's pretty cut and dried, no fluff.

Ops manual...yeah. Some of it feels like it works against the boots-on-the-ground reality but I suppose that's to be expected in any corporate structure for the most part.

I work the split schedule that Wally was referring to, 3 days then 4 nights with a 24hr break in between. This works great if your base is close to home and you can use that 24. If you're commuting, some people don't like it because you always start your week on a day shift and end on a night shift, stuck at who-knows-where remote location for a useless 24hr break and then also stuck at work that first/last 12hrs that you might've otherwise spent traveling to/from home.

My company prefers an ATP and plans to require it in the very near future. If you meet the requirements, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain by earning the cert.

We have many dual rated pilots but it doesn't play into their RW position at all, it's strictly either/or. They are primarily rotor guys with planes at home for fun. However, having significant actual instrument experience from your FW time can be helpful if you're interested in a RW SPIFR position.

People said I'd hate HEMS. They were wrong. I've never been happier. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I work the split schedule that Wally was referring to, 3 days then 4 nights with a 24hr break in between.

wait a second, you work 7 days straight and only get one day off? doesn't that constitute insufficient aircrew rest? if anything, doesn't it drive you into the ground after a couple months?

No, we work 7 "shifts" in a row - the first 3 are day shifts, then 24hrs off, then 4 night shifts. For example 0700-1900 F/S/S, then 1900-0700 M/T/W/Th (the 24hrs off is just incidental to the schedule if you look at the clock). Then 7 days off. It's a pretty common EMS schedule and is nice if you work close to home.

wait a second, you work 7 days straight and only get one day off? doesn't that constitute insufficient aircrew rest? if anything, doesn't it drive you into the ground after a couple months?

As "heligirl03' explained, it's a 7 on/ 7 off schedule with the duty schedule broken 3/4 or 4/3 day/nights with a 24 hour break after the last day shift and the next night's duty period. Then 7 days (168 hours) and you repeat the duty schedule.

If you're not the 10% of the human population that can do the circadian shift easily, the stress accumulates. By the time I'm circadian shifted to nights, I go off duty and must shift back to days. Scientifically speaking, the typical human is intellectually compromised that first night of duty no matter how well prepared and the first day off is pure zombie.

I just don't understand why anyone would accept such a schedule, nor why a company that gave a rat's ass about safety would use it. I just don't understand the rationale at all. It's just as easy to do full hitches on one schedule, then do the next full hitch on the other. We do 7 days, 7 off, 7 nights, 7 off, repeat, and have no problems with that. I have plenty of time to adjust from days to nights, or vice versa, although it's still difficult. I would be fine working straight nights forever, or straight days, either is better than switching, but I would not work the schedule described above. It's just not safe, and will destroy one's health over the long run.

I just don't understand why anyone would accept such a schedule, nor why a company that gave a rat's ass about safety would use it. I just don't understand the rationale at all. It's just as easy to do full hitches on one schedule, then do the next full hitch on the other. We do 7 days, 7 off, 7 nights, 7 off, repeat, and have no problems with that. I have plenty of time to adjust from days to nights, or vice versa, although it's still difficult. I would be fine working straight nights forever, or straight days, either is better than switching, but I would not work the schedule described above. It's just not safe, and will destroy one's health over the long run.

I happen to agree 100%. But our contract allows pilots to set base schedules...

Scientific fact that a few people can't do 7 nights straight, many have built-in conflicts- small children, for instance, and a few pilots burn the candle at both ends. All of which, to me at least, mean "consider other career paths".

I can see the benefit on a split hitch. I typically sleep 4-5 hours at night and then 2-3 hours during the day during a work day. Doing a few days, sleeping in, and then doing a few nights means that I can actually get to sleep at a reasonable hour at night.

Also I imagine the 24 hours off in the middle is a nice little break from the work week.

That being said I work a full hitch of days then a full one of nights. The other crew at my base does split hitches and they seem to like them. (Shrug)

FWIW, I've enjoyed the split shift. I work near home so I can catch up comfortably in the morning if needed. It's nice to have 24hrs off in the middle of the week and it's not so many night shifts in a row that it takes half my week off to recoup, either. I'm usually good by late afternoon of my first day off.

- Know operating hours of FBO's in your area, especially when you need to get fuel around 3am

- our program uses IPADs with an app called FOREFLIGHT, it's great for flt. Planing (vfr&ifr), wx... maybe it's something you may like to invest in.

-don't get involved in politics or program policies discussion at work... Just do your job and go home by the end of your shift.

- accept tha fact that it's unlikely to get along with all medcrews, some get scared very quickly, some don't care pushing the limits, some medcrews may not like it if you turn down flights.

- depending on the constellation of coworkers at work, the atmosphere can range from wonderful trustworthy coworkers to backstabbing and talking behind your back, but most place are great to work at.

- some mechanics are lazy and need to be ask repeatedly to fix something minor, some may not even answer their cell at 2 am if you have an problem with the a/c.

Welcome to hems and be save out their.

• Like 1

I don't mind the 7 nights in a row. Usually I can get 5-6 hrs of sleep and then go home and get a couple more. That's not a complete cirdadian change so it's not that bad. In the military we did nights months at a time so we completely "reversed out." That is we slept during the day and stayed up all night. Now that schedule will screw you up when you get done and want to go back to a normal day cycle. That's why our RA was higher if we indicated we were within 72 hrs of coming off a reverse cycle.

I don't care if it's a 7 on or a split, when you get waken up at 0300 and go fly you're not going to be a 100 %. It's just something you have to accept when coming into HEMS. Obviously the FAA accepts this or they would have shut us down long ago. Personally, I love the schedule. I'm on my first day off of 7 right now! :)