Fun Jobs in a Chopper

hello,

I've recently begun working towards my cert's, and I'm sure that this is the career I want to devote my time and money too. There's no doubt that flying EMS or doing contract work over seas or corporate flying in NYC would be an awesome and rewarding job. But my question is; are there uses for a helicopter that are a little more laid back?, for lack of a better term. for example; I'm looking at my CFI, he's a late 20 something yr old dude that lives on the beach and flys choppers for a living. In my opinion that's living the american dream. There are fixed wings guys here too that do sky writing, banners, photography, thrill flights in aerobatic setups, and some even drop skydivers. All in all it looks like they've found they're little niche and although they don't make a lot their quality of life is high and enjoyable. So my question to all the RW guys out there is; where are all the FUN jobs at? I definitely want to fly a helo, but I also want to hang out at the beach like these guys.. catch my drift?

thanks

• Like 1

Depends on the job, my first job in a utility company was spent getting up at 3:30 every morning and returning home at 6:00pm 6 days a week. The job that followed after that was about 3 weeks of hanger work then 3 months of kicking back and bbq's waiting for the rain to come (cherry drying). I don't know how your friends got to where they are but I would say for now that you are getting started be ready to put in a lot of time and work for a while. Most Employers will notice your hard work and put you in front for a good oppertunity when it comes. These oppertunites will help you throughout your career and eventually there will be that laid back job. Also be ready to travel.

My experience is that the life you live is whatever you make it. Do the best work you can, every time, is the secret to satisfaction on the job.

Leave the job at work, and your life problems at the door when you come to work.

• Like 2

Lived the pilot dream on the beach before (with a roommate- struggling to make ends meet financially) wondering how on earth I was ever going to pay the student loans off. That was sure the dream (ya right). If you have financial means and or have military benifits to use, then by all means that saves a lot of the headache financially.

My experience is that the life you live is whatever you make it. Do the best work you can, every time, is the secret to satisfaction on the job.

Leave the job at work, and your life problems at the door when you come to work.

Agreed. Life is what you make it.

Also, boogs, I'm questioning whether or not you know exactly how much work you're going to have to put in while you're in this industry. It's not all rainbows and butterflies and it's most definitely not always going to be laid back. Your off time, sure, be as laid back as you want, but when it's time to go to work, you can't be the beach bum. You need to be the professional.

Haha okay, the big picture here is that your going to have to put in the time and money up front if you want to establish yourself as a helo pilot. This sounds good to me, and just from what i've experienced as a student pilot I can tell it's not all fun and games, as a matter of fact; none of it is! But what I was trying to ask was if any one out there could even come up with a job in a chopper that would be fun and laid back. Think of it as my dream job after I payed my dues. I'm really not concerned with being a rich man (luckily for me). I know that if I stay the fixed wing track that I could find a quaint job doing the aforementioned flying and more or less be a "beach bum", but from my research helo pilot's don't have that option..

I'm looking at my CFI, he's a late 20 something yr old dude that lives on the beach and flys choppers for a living. In my opinion that's living the american dream.

So my question to all the RW guys out there is; where are all the FUN jobs at? I definitely want to fly a helo, but I also want to hang out at the beach like these guys.. catch my drift?

Hmmm,

Do the job he's doing!

...or go fly tours in Hawaii?

• Like 1

Since your question seems hypothetical then how about helicopter surfing. Bring people to remote beaches and find the best surf spots from the air. Set it down on the beach...you relax and they surf. SoCal has plenty of super rich yuppies that surf.

Or get a MD500 with floats and do some fishing.

I imagine the tour industry and anything satisfying the public will be more laid back then a corporate job where it is all about the profit margin. However, the perception people have of the pilot directly influences the perception people have about safety; to be a professional and a beach bum are conflicting ideals. Brah, you can be laid back and be a pilot but if you act like a stoner hippie, a surfer dude, or have nasty hair then you might have trouble getting a job. It's a balance!

Simply, work near the ocean and you can be a beach bum when you aren't at work. Hawaii and the gulf come to mind and the more remote you get the less likely you are to find a job.There are many jobs where you can live wherever you want and travel to and from work for your duty shift. If you want to wear sandals and board shorts in the cockpit then buy your own helicopter.

You and I have similar goals but we need to learn and build time for years and then figure this stuff out. Eventually you will have earned the opportunity to align your dream career towards whatever other dreams you may have. That's what I am doing and personally I want to be a ski bum, marry a Bar Refaeli clone, and own a boat...but flying must come first.

Good luck

Since your question seems hypothetical then how about helicopter surfing. Bring people to remote beaches and find the best surf spots from the air. Set it down on the beach...you relax and they surf. SoCal has plenty of super rich yuppies that surf.

Or get a MD500 with floats and do some fishing.

I imagine the tour industry and anything satisfying the public will be more laid back then a corporate job where it is all about the profit margin. However, the perception people have of the pilot directly influences the perception people have about safety; to be a professional and a beach bum are conflicting ideals. Brah, you can be laid back and be a pilot but if you act like a stoner hippie, a surfer dude, or have nasty hair then you might have trouble getting a job. It's a balance!

Simply, work near the ocean and you can be a beach bum when you aren't at work. Hawaii and the gulf come to mind and the more remote you get the less likely you are to find a job.There are many jobs where you can live wherever you want and travel to and from work for your duty shift. If you want to wear sandals and board shorts in the cockpit then buy your own helicopter.

You and I have similar goals but we need to learn and build time for years and then figure this stuff out. Eventually you will have earned the opportunity to align your dream career towards whatever other dreams you may have. That's what I am doing and personally I want to be a ski bum, marry a Bar Refaeli clone, and own a boat...but flying must come first.

Good luck

BINGO, yea I agree with your idea's about balancing work and play and how that would effect your career. I didn't even think about that, flying to find sweet surf spots, seems like the warmer counter part to the skiers that do the same thing. And yea, my question was hypothetical and I know i will have to work my way up, I've read a lot of negative stuff about the job market and working in the GOM etc. but it beats sitting in an office working for IBM or whatever..

There are a lot of job opening flying nice fixed wing/multi aircraft for sky divers. the pay is decent, work environment is a big party and you get to be home every night but the only draw back is airplanes aren't helicopters!

This looks like an ad for boatpix. If you have money to blow then I guess it is a good route to get some time and be a beach bum. I would look at other options where you get paid instead of you paying.

http://www.boatpix.com/pilots/

http://www.helicopteracademy.com/helicopter-pilot-jobs#.UUOSJhesiSo

I found an ad for time building in a r22 mariner with the pantoon hook ups. From what I understand, the point of the job is to take pictures of boats.. has anyone ever done this? and is there a big market for it? i'll attach a link, it came from VR..

http://www.r22.us/

Ah yes, Boatpix. There are many threads about them, search and enjoy!

• 1 month later...