The Aviation Branch Chief Warrant Officer (CW5 Reese) wrote a short piece about the WOFT Selection Process in the March/April edition of the Army Aviation Magazine (I've added emphasis in bold):

http://www.quad-a.org/images/stories/Magazine/MarApr2013/reese0313.pdf

Warrant Officer Selection Process
The future of the warrant officer cohort rests with the young Soldiers and civilians we assess to enter the Aviation profession. Critical to the assessment process is ensuring the requirements for flight school attendance are correct.
Our two primary goals are: select individuals who have the best potential to serve as a technical and tactical leader, and an assessment method that reduces attrition rate during flight training.
To meet this end state the Branch has retired the antiquated Army Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST) and replaced it with the Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT); increased the number of Aviation warrant officers serving as board members commensurate with the over-all demographics for warrant officer specialties; and reinvigorated the importance of letters of recommendation.
Flight training is an expensive endeavor, $500K-$900K (aircraft dependant), and the SIFT is designed to better identify the aptitude required to meet the challenges of our advanced aircraft.
Aptitude and cognitive abilities are just a portion of prerequisites for selection; equally as important are judgment, maturity, and communication skills that can be evaluated through a personal interview.
The letter of recommendation (LOR) provided by a senior warrant officer weighs heavily on the selection criteria and the Branch has emphasized the importance through professional military education (PME) officer professional development (OPD) sessions as well as influencing brigade command warrant officers to establish standard operating procedures (SOPs) for LORs
  • Like 1

Well, folks. I guess it's official. I won't be on the May board. It will be July.

I was not allowed to schedule a flight physical until after the SIFT was completed, and could not get one scheduled until April 24th. Problem is, the cutoff for the battalion board is April 17th, and I guess they don't make any exceptions. The battalion board is also on the 24th regardless, and I can't get in for a flight physical sooner. The flight physical is required to be completed and approved by Rucker prior to the battalion board (this is a battalion-by-battalion thing and may or may not apply to others as well). Therefore, I'm completely SOL.

Gotta look at it through a positive lens...guess this will give me a huge chunk of time to continue working on my PT.

Exactly three months until the July board...

Well, folks. I guess it's official. I won't be on the May board. It will be July.

I was not allowed to schedule a flight physical until after the SIFT was completed, and could not get one scheduled until April 24th. Problem is, the cutoff for the battalion board is April 17th, and I guess they don't make any exceptions. The battalion board is also on the 24th regardless, and I can't get in for a flight physical sooner. The flight physical is required to be completed and approved by Rucker prior to the battalion board (this is a battalion-by-battalion thing and may or may not apply to others as well). Therefore, I'm completely SOL.

Gotta look at it through a positive lens...guess this will give me a huge chunk of time to continue working on my PT.

Exactly three months until the July board...

What is your PT score like, I always see you saying that you are working on it?

Sorry, Just curious what you are "shooting for" when it comes to the civilian board.

No worries. Obviously I'm shooting for a 300, and now that I'm looking at July I am confident I can get there. For May though I was trying to get to 250+.

Will there be a September board?

Unclear at this point in time. USAREC site does not reflect that there will be a September board, although it is possible that (1) they could always schedule one and/or (2) that only applies to the Active Duty board and a civilian board could still be on the books (has happened before).

I am definitely out of this board as well due to time constraints/issues during the process. Assuming those issues get cleared soon I'll be on the July board. Fingers crossed.

Uncross those fingers because you'll be on the July board with me for sure.

Good luck to everyone. Just know it is worth the time and hassle. Have my P1 check ride next week, is so much fun. Lots of hoops to jump through, but do it anyway :)

Whoa, that was quick. I think last we talked you were fresh out of Dunker!

According to an Army Aviator on Reddit they are nixing street to seat after July and cutting IEWR slots from 1,400 to 800 a year.

He didn't give a source but said that's what was just put out from his BN SP was told at a senior staff course.

According to an Army Aviator on Reddit they are nixing street to seat after July and cutting IEWR slots from 1,400 to 800 a year.

He didn't give a source but said that's what was just put out from his BN SP was told at a senior staff course.

I'd ask my recruiter but 95% of the time I knew what was going on 3 months in advance more then he did.

• Like 3

Meaning there will be no civilian boards after July?

Elec,

I'm not familiar with what you previously posted. Kinda curious.

I was just saying that I was going to make a statement in regard to civilian applicants being more qualified than AD applicants...but I'm going to keep it to myself.

Let's just say that street to seat is a privelage, not a right, keep that in mind