Hi all,

As requested by Goldy, I will put some info on the Guimbal Cabri G2

I did my flight on 09/05/2012, the bird has only 46h since out of factory.

The flight was just in order to see difference between R22 and G2.
At this time I just get my PPL on helicopters with 53 hrs.
The day was fair, clear sky, wind 5 to 8 kts, 13°... almost standard day!

Exterior:

It is a little bigger, look heavier, neat surfaces, roomy.
Preflight is easy, all panels, latches, etc are well adjusted, made in fiberglass. Very fews items to check, all easily accessible.

Engine compartment can open wide, so access for maintenance and check of engine mounts, etc is just a formal step.

Landing gear is shorter, front view is less than R22.

The main differences are the fenestron in place of classic anti-torque rotor and 3 bladed main rotor.

The main rotor are in elastomer, so no classic control rods, this is a design from Mr Guimbal, father of EC120. And a sort of Eurocopter trademark (Mr Guimbal is a former engineer from Eurocopter)

His idea was to propose a training module with the same handling behaviors as the heavier Eurocopter's products.

Interior:

This one is new, so everything is pristine, windows, leather seats, stick, collective, etc.. it smell good. And the cherry on the cake, the only flight instructor is a woman... so she take really care of her baby (joke inside)... We need to see how this will go with time.

The dashboard is just awesome, here you will see the 30+ years difference between R22 and G2... VEMD, Ergonomic, instruments, etc.

The engine is controled by FADEC, you have the VEMD inside like all Eurocopter familly.

I'm 5,9 tall, the seat are pretty comfortable, cockpit are roomy enough to take 2 guys like me without any problems.

You feel like in a leather couch at home.

Starting, warm-up, before T/O checks are down to minimum.
You can even have the check-list on the display, going off when all main items are done!
In emergency the CK appear on screen! ;)

So let's go flying:

First pick-up... she is heavier, and rotor are turning other way, the flight controls are not direct and light. You have a small lag.

According my instructor for the flight, this helicopter reflect the same feeling as an EC120 or AS350... you should fly like, the engine should be worked as turbine, all engine display are showing percentage for that purpose!

I was used to fly turbine on fixed wing, but flight controls going from R22 to G2 is a bit challenging... I will need few hours to feel at home.

We go local for some air work... I feel the lag and feel better after 15 min.
Cruise is easy: 85% torque...85kts! 100%...100kts!
Controls have an electric trim, so when trimmed, you could fly hands off for fews seconds...

We came back to the field for one auto... this is just easy, the tri bladed rotor store much more energy, you can even take your time, no stress...before lowering collective.

In hover, the fenestron work pretty nice. But due to my short experience I can't tell you more.

In landing you need to think that the rotor is still turning on the other way.

My overall feelings is this little heli is really nice, it train you to fly turbine, heavier helos. Comfort is great, avionics are awesome.
Really silent also.

But all this things have a price:

As per 2010, price tag is 336 000 $US from factory.
I paid 560$US/hour in Europe... and this is not the most expensive G2 you could find!

Below some pictures.

Sorry if my report is not really well written, or shows lack of figures, etc... As I said, I didn't have too much experience on helicopters.

Hope it gives you some helps!
Except the interior pictures coming from Web, the 4 last are from my flight! (yes this is me on the last one (inside)

Renaud

post-15952-0-19407300-1363863410_thumb.jpg

post-15952-0-24752200-1363863424_thumb.jpg

post-15952-0-36717900-1363863434_thumb.jpg

post-15952-0-64042700-1363863444_thumb.jpg

post-15952-0-00759800-1363863461_thumb.jpg

post-15952-0-18778600-1363863472_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for the report - I've been wanting to take one of those for a spin for a while now.

Two things:

1) A friend of mine flew one in Australia. He's like 7 foot so obviously he loved the bigger cockpit and seats. He did complain that it got a bit rough above 80kts or so. Could have been a bad track and balance job though - did you experience the same?

2)

I paid 560$US/hour in Europe

For comparison, how much is a R22 or S300 there?

Edited by lelebebbel

A R22 :

France: around 430$ to 540$

Switzerland: 420$ to 560$

Fancy for a "training" helicopter. I looked up thier web site, it says it has remote door locks, an external audio input, sunglasses and cellphone receptacle. Pretty good storage for a helicopter that small too. Wish they had one at the Expo, looks pretty nice.

http://www.guimbal.com/index2.php?l=6#p=39

• Like 2

The lights are rotor over/underspeed warning lights.

That's what I thought. Wanted to be sure. Overspeed warning light... that would definitely come in handy during those practice autos. Especially if it was accompanied by a horn of some kind, which I imagine it is.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I contact Guimbal asking who will be the Western representative.

I guess Precision will be the one?

• Like 1

Yes that's right, from Precision's page, "After stunning success at HAI, Precision is proud to announce that we have taken delivery of the 1st Cabri in North America. Precison is also the first Cabri Maintenance and Distribution Center in North America, with Factory trained Pilots and Technicians."

• 4 weeks later...

Impressive in many ways except IGE/OGE lack of performance.

Main performance and Fuel system

Equipped empty weight 420 kg (925 lb)

Maximum Gross Weight 700 kg (1542 lb)

Maximum level speed @ 100% (s.l. ISA) 100 kt (185 km/h)

Cruise speed @ 85% 90 kt (166 km/h)

Vne (s.l.) 130 kt (240 km/h)

IGE hovering ceiling (@ 700 kg) 5000 ft

Hovering ceiling (2x77 kg + fuel 2 hrs) 7500 ft

Range @ 85 % (15 min reserve) 380 NM (700 km)

Maximum endurance @ 50 kt (no reserve) 5 hr 40 Noise level @ 100% (certified) 75.7 dB SEL

Max capacity 170 litres (45 US Gal)

Unusable quantity 1.5 litre (0.4 US Gal) Approved fuel type Avgas 100 LL

Edited by Mikemv

I can't tell by the pictures but I think it's a reverse turning rotor system.

And as I recall it is the trainer designed to be a transition trainer to the Aerospatiale/Eurocopter/Airbus.

I used to stress out about how much different it would fly from a proper turning rotor.

But it turns out that all my friends were right.

It wasn't that big of a deal

Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

From Guimbal:

https://www.facebook.com/FlyCabri/

"Great news! The 160 hp take-off power upgrade is now certified in Canada!! 1f60e.png😎1f681.png🚁1f389.png🎉

All Cabri worlwide can now enjoy an extra 15 hp for take-off and into the hover!"

Also article from Vertical Mag when the US made approval:

https://www.verticalmag.com/press-releases/guimbal-cabri-g2-gets-better/

post-7240-0-12895700-1512504757_thumb.jpg

post-7240-0-91972600-1512504771_thumb.jpg

From Guimbal:

https://www.facebook.com/FlyCabri/

"Great news! The 160 hp take-off power upgrade is now certified in Canada!! 1f60e.png😎[/size]1f681.png🚁[/size]1f389.png🎉[/size]

All Cabri worlwide can now enjoy an extra 15 hp for take-off and into the hover!"

Also article from Vertical Mag when the US made approval:

https://www.verticalmag.com/press-releases/guimbal-cabri-g2-gets-better/

You've got the same engine as an R22 BII, but you can pull the extra power and we can't!

,...why?

You've got the same engine as an R22 BII, but you can pull the extra power and we can't!

,...why?

"As announced some time ago, we have just qualified and certified an upgrade for your favorite helicopter that allows higher power setting at low altitude.
While no mechanical modification has been made, extensive work in analysis and testing was carried out to prove the ability of the Cabri transmission and engine to cope with the increased power.
According to this new certification, the maximum power is increased from 145 to 160 hp, limited to 5 minutes and 30 knots.
This provides an extra margin for take-off and landing under 3800 feet (PWR mode).
Please note that the increased power setting cannot be used when flying on automotive gasoline.
We are delighted to announce that this SB and the associated parts kit (a flash card, a sticker and a Flight Manual update) will be provided free of charge upon order, to every Cabri in service."

"As announced some time ago, we have just qualified and certified an upgrade for your favorite helicopter that allows higher power setting at low altitude.

While no mechanical modification has been made, extensive work in analysis and testing was carried out to prove the ability of the Cabri transmission and engine to cope with the increased power.

According to this new certification, the maximum power is increased from 145 to 160 hp, limited to 5 minutes and 30 knots.

This provides an extra margin for take-off and landing under 3800 feet (PWR mode).

Please note that the increased power setting cannot be used when flying on automotive gasoline.

We are delighted to announce that this SB and the associated parts kit (a flash card, a sticker and a Flight Manual update) will be provided free of charge upon order, to every Cabri in service."

Sooooooooo,

Your transmission is better,...?