Flight Suits

cryesis

I've been wearing flight suits for a long time, as well as a helmet. I've heard all the arguments for and against. To date, I've yet to hear a valid argument agains them.

A nomex flight suit, especially without other clothing worn beneath, is quite comfortable and far from too hot. If you're not liking the one you wear, go a size larger. I wear them with the sleeves down and collar up when flying.

I've been through flashover trainers nearly fifty times; real burns with real flashovers hot enough to melt nomes off your head, burn one's helmet, and heat the air in a SCBA tank hot enough to be very uncomfortable to breathe. I've been in them when the flash crazed over face masks, and bubbled rubber on the mask. I've yet to see anyone catch fire in there, though they can certainly get hot enough to very nearly vaporize even heavy duty turnout gear, very, very quickly.

A flight suit isn't intended as a structure protection-capable turnout coat. It's designed to protect from a flash burn, and there is ample (not ancedotal) evidence of the protection it provides.

Nomex does melt. I've seen it. Not like most other synthetics, but it does melt. It will also burn; it doesn't propagate a flame. It's not an aluminum suit. It's not reflective. It does what its supposed to do, and that's dress you in clothing that doesn't support combustion, and which offers limited flash protection.

I have yet to ever see a valid case of a flight suit creating a health hazard. I've heard a lot of rumors and complaints, but not one thus far that's valid or that's been substantiated. If you feel like they're dehydrating you (they don't), then drink more fluids. Simple.

I have two-piece and one-piece. The one piece are easy for short-notice dispatches.

I used to love my 2 piece nomex. I only liked my one piece nomex. One day I came across a pair of my 2 piece nomex, and tried them on. They had shrunk over the years. In the last year I have had the opportunity to lose about 40 pounds. I am planning on trying my 2 piece nomex on again soon. Maybe they expanded ?

A caution to 1 piece nomex wearers. Before flushing the toilet, check to see if your sleeves are clear of the rim.

• Like 1

Nomex, polymer aramid, is inherently flame-resistant and isn't a function of a coating. Some fabrics use coatings or treatments that can be harmed or removed through successive washes, and it's for that reason that any flame-resistant product should be handled exactly according to manufacturer guidelines.

Like any fabric, nomex fill density and material thickness, as well as the tightness of the weave, decreases over time with successive wearings and washings. The basic properties of the material don't change, however. If you want to know how they respond to flame, get an older flight suit, cut some swatches, and burn them.

• 10 months later...

How do you guys feel about flight instructors wearing flight suits while working? Unnecessary or an added level of professionalism?

Lots of pockets, comfortable, easy to get in and out of, what's not to like?

Just don't wear em tight, like some guys do, with it pulling up your bum <shivers> :unsure:

• 9 months later...

Where I am it's a green flight suit or cotton army green bdu's. So even an old flight sut is still better than my other options. But in my case also it's a daily uniform. I've been wearing one pretty much every work day for the past 10+yrs. we replace them every couple of years

Edited by Flying Pig

After about 11 1/2 years of farting around in the r-22 I finally decided to get one, which is funny because it only took me 1 year to decide to get my own life jacket (I fly over water a lot). Anyway, I like wearing it, however the CFIs at the school where I rent don't wear one. I don't think students really care, or even notice, but when I see them take up non-pilots (like photgraphers) I think they might feel a bit more comfortable if the pilot had one on (for that more professional look), instead of just a faded company t-shirt and shorts?

:)

That seems a little extreme to me for just "renting" an aircraft, but I suppose if it makes you feel more comfortable in flight, more power to you.

Butters, what area do you flight out of? Just a general area, not looking for a flight school name or anything.

Personally I'd wear the flight suit for not only the nomex purpose, but also I'd rather tear up and have the flight suit covered in grim and gunk than my own personal clothing.

Edited by RagMan