July 2013 Civilian WOFT Board

I've already proved it! I've got a signed 160th Memorandum that says so. ;)

Lol! Well I'm 5'6" so not much better. Go 60s and both the seat and pedals are adjustable. A midget, sorry," vertically challenged person" could fly it. Of course there really isn't much use for pedals in a 60 except for hovering turns.

Lol! Well I'm 5'6" so not much better. Go 60s and both the seat and pedals are adjustable. A midget, sorry," vertically challenged person" could fly it. Of course there really isn't much use for pedals in a 60 except for hovering turns.

Actually I think I'll be going 58s. Did some "soul searching." Though d10 may try to kill me before I get to that point - I don't think he considers 58s to be real helicopters. :lol:

Actually I think I'll be going 58s. Did some "soul searching." Though d10 may try to kill me before I get to that point - I don't think he considers 58s to be real helicopters. :lol:

Ugh! You've been talking to akscott60 haven't you? Listen, just because you're short doesn't mean you need to fly a helicopter whose main rotor produces less thrust than a 60's tail rotor.

Mike Novosel was 5'4" and he didn't give in and fly a short man's chopper. He picked a real aircraft (Huey) and went on to get the MOH. Any short pilot who went on to do great things went Utility. It's just a fact. "Courage Under Fire." true story. :)

• Like 1

I am 6'4" and fly the 58.

Lindsey will fit better. As for the aircraft, things change in flight school.

I love my aircraft. Flying such a nimble and honest aircraft is awesome.

• Like 1

Mr. Novosel was an amazing aviator. I've read his book 5+ times. That said, I'm still lookin to go 58s. ;)

You just went down a notch in my book. Get an aircraft that can lift 9,000 Lbs from it's hook.

Plus when stearmann picks you up for 160th you can fly a DAPs and you will fly that 60 harder than any 58. Just sayyin.

• Like 1

Wait a second, I know what it is. Lindsey saw the documentary "Fire Birds" and the chick flying the 58 is her hero. What you don't know is that she actually picked 60s in WOBC but she was at the bottom of the OML and was forced into 58s. I went to flight school with her...true story. :)

Edited by Velocity173

In all seriousness Lindsey, Akscott60 is right, things change in flight school. I was dead set on Apaches. I couldn't even think of flying anything else and I was so worried I wouldn't be able to select it. Then I got to flight school and I slowly drifted to the 60 side. I also did some soul searching and realized it most closely matched what I wanted to do in aviation. That, and I met my future IP (DAP guy) at the gym and he talked me into it.

Can't say it enough. All the airframes are important. Which ever one you pick or even get forced into, its still the most relevant combat branch on the battlefield.

Well I can say that over the past few months I've changed too. I was dead set on Apaches. Even when I was outnumbered by Lindsey and d10 at the bar... But now I'm pretty sure I want 58s too.

I want a high ops tempo. I want lots of maneuverability, I want guns... But I don't want to shoot them from 2000 AGL.

But most of all, I want the MEPS doctor to stop giving me the round around with my physical.

Looks like I'll be starting the September Civilian Board thread.

Can't say it enough. All the airframes are important. Which ever one you pick or even get forced into, its still the most relevant combat branch on the battlefield.

I am not sure if I would say and branch is more relevant. To be truly effective in combat multiple branches (Infantry, Field Artillery, Aviation, and some more) work in synchronicity to accomplish the mission.

• Like 1

While aviation obviously supports the ground commander, and the other branches are important, nothing is as flexible and has as much impact as aviation. Every major op that goes on in theater uses aviation. I've been on missions where the ground element delayed their entire op because we couldn't support it due to weather. Artillery, "King of Battle" sure but they're limited in what they can do. Fighter/attack? Those guys hardly dropped any ordnance in theater because of restrictions. OH and AH are far more flexible in what they can do compared to calling in an F-15E or a B-1. The Bin Laden raid never could have happened without rotary wing assets. Heck, forget combat, you can't even go on R&R without a CH or UH transporting you to the airport.

The major players in both Iraq and Afghanistan were the guys kicking down doors and the people who fly the guys kicking down doors.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

I bumped the other thread for you guys. Keep talking, I'm having fun listening. And also documenting how many "true stories" Velocity knows :-)

Speaking of Firebirds, I can't find that movie anywhere. Unless I buy it on Amazon, which I don't really want to do. We need to bring Blockbuster Video back.

PFft! I can't imagine changing my mind. The 64's mission appeals to me in every aspect except the fact that those guys typically get less hours.

(I'll come back to read this post in 2 years and probably laugh)

• Like 1

I bumped the other thread for you guys. Keep talking, I'm having fun listening. And also documenting how many "true stories" Velocity knows :-)

Speaking of Firebirds, I can't find that movie anywhere. Unless I buy it on Amazon, which I don't really want to do. We need to bring Blockbuster Video back.

You can rent it at the blockbuster on Rucker Blvd in Enterprise, they keep a copy in stock.

Don't ask me how i know :D

• Like 1

I'd watch it solely because there is lots of apache footage. Accurcy aside, Hollywood drama aside, it's a movie about army pilots. I like it in the same way that I like to watch "we were soldiers" just to see the Huey's fly in.

Plus Tommy Lee Jones is kind of iconic..