GI Bill and Aviation Training Question

What's up guys? I'm currently enrolled in training with Front Range Helicopter in Loveland CO. To maximize the use of VA funding I am completing the flight training in conjunction with an Aviation Degree, from Aims Community College here in Greeley.

We are being told by the VA Rep from the college that no students are able to register for aviation classes for the summer semester. The rep says the reason for this is because of an investigation the VA is conducting on the VA funded aviation program as a whole. I've been speaking with the VA quite a bit here lately and nobody I speak to seems to know anything about it.

My concern is that the investigation is only being conducted on the college I attend and the VA rep is just blowing smoke. Are any of you guys using the GI Bill to pay for flight training? and if so, have you experienced or heard of this?

I was gonna post this in the school section, but it isn't really a school review, etc. I thought it would be ok here. Any input would be very appreciated, as nobody seems to know exactly what is going on, and just takes the VA rep at his word.

• Like 1

I heard rumor of it awhile back but nothing since. The only issue I ran into was the school was over 85% VA funded and therefore had to stop admitting Students funded by the VA. I found another way of getting it aproved though and should be flying in a couple weeks.

No word of this here in AZ. I know there are a lot of people enrolled for summer which starts in a week or two. Sounds like the investigation must be specific to Colorado or maybe that particular program. If you find out more please pass along the info here.

Thanks for all the replies. I got some info last night that strongly suggests the investigation is specific to my school. I wasn't trying to start a mass scare or anything, just trying to get some facts. It looks like the VA rep at Aims Community College has been putting out info that is far from truthful.

I'm also not trying to muddy any waters because Front Range Helicopter is an outstanding flight school and Aims Community College is equally impressive. I do however take issue when VA reps who are put in place to work for students who are vets blow smoke and feed the students false info.

I'm signed up for this summer semester at slcc in salt lake and haven't heard of it. Though I will be looking into this now...

I had a meeting with someone a couple weeks ago who mentioned that he had to call everyone wanting to use VA funding and turn them down, making me one of three new students this summer (I had to push classes back one semester, but that's neither here nor there)

***I didn't ask questions because I'm not a vet, so I can't say what SLCC is doing it for, but I'm going to be honest, scuttlebutt around here helps to hold up the story of the whole program being under investigation.

For the purposes of preventing rumor spreading, I'll just take it all with a grain of salt.

(-:

I do however take issue when VA reps who are put in place to work for students who are vets blow smoke and feed the students false info.

I would too. I hope everything works out for you, bud.

I learned the hard way that you cannot trust people to do the job they are hired to do. You must do your own research and stay on top of things. I registered prior to spring semester and was later told that I could not get funding because I was not counted in the 85% VA funded student pool. Now I have to pursue 2 degrees while working full time on active duty, meanwhile the rest of my class gets full funding while only having to focus on their aviation degree. Whatever it takes though, and in the end I will come out ahead. I can't say I was never told that I would have to work hard for this.

• 6 months later...