Helmets. Rotorcraft vs. Fixed wing

Rotorhead84

I've been putting off buying a helmet for long enough. I've started looking around and I've noticed that most helmets geared at rotorwing pilots are large and bulky. I know of a few people that use Gentex HGU-55P helmets that are not huge and they seem to like them. However upon doing some reading these are fixed wing helmets. I've even heard that Gentex will not sell you a fixed wing helmet if you tell them you're a rotary wing pilot. I'm sure there is good reason for this. Educate me.

If it helps I am a utility pilot and will sometimes spend 15-18 hours in the cockpit a day in 100 degree temps so I need something that isn't huge or too hot.

*Edit*

Just stumbled upon the HGU-84P. Which is more of what I am going for. Thoughts?

Edited by Rotorhead84
  • Like 1

You don't buy through Gentex, so what Gentex will or won't do is irrelevant.

GovernmentSales, Gibson&Barnes, helicopterflighthelmets, and other sites will be happy to supply you with whatever you need.

I've used a HGU55 for some time. I had a visor housing installed this last year, because I'm tired of the bungee's wearing out, the lens getting scratched, or the lens slipping.

Go with the Oregon Aero liner; forget the TPL or molded liners.

As various sources will tell you, the HGU-55 is designed to be a fixed wing helmet, but it's got a number of options, and there isn't a lot of difference between the HGU-55, -68, or the -84. Same basic shell, shock liner, retention system, etc. The primary differences are the attachments and visor, which don't really have anything to do with protecting you in a crash.

Soft ear cups or hard ones are available, as well as "elephant ears" that have more room (and comfort) but less attenuation. Various visor options, retention options, and liners can be mixed and matched to meet your needs.

You don't buy through Gentex, so what Gentex will or won't do is irrelevant.

GovernmentSales, Gibson&Barnes, helicopterflighthelmets, and other sites will be happy to supply you with whatever you need.

I've used a HGU55 for some time. I had a visor housing installed this last year, because I'm tired of the bungee's wearing out, the lens getting scratched, or the lens slipping.

Go with the Oregon Aero liner; forget the TPL or molded liners.

As various sources will tell you, the HGU-55 is designed to be a fixed wing helmet, but it's got a number of options, and there isn't a lot of difference between the HGU-55, -68, or the -84. Same basic shell, shock liner, retention system, etc. The primary differences are the attachments and visor, which don't really have anything to do with protecting you in a crash.

Soft ear cups or hard ones are available, as well as "elephant ears" that have more room (and comfort) but less attenuation. Various visor options, retention options, and liners can be mixed and matched to meet your needs.

Thanks for the info! And you are correct... The company that wouldn't sell a fixed wing helmet to a rotor pilot was Gibson & Barnes. Not Gentex

Interesting to know that there isn't much difference in the helmets. I was reading all sorts of stories on line about how the foam and or liners were drastically different.

Edited by Rotorhead84

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! And you are correct... The company that wouldn't sell a fixed wing helmet to a rotor pilot was Gibson & Barnes. Not Gentex

Interesting to know that there isn't much difference in the helmets. I was reading all sorts of stories on line about how the foam and or liners were drastically different.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I don't see why they would be different. Both are designed to protect you from blunt force trauma to the head. What does it matter if you are in a fixed wing or a rotary wing aircraft? Oh... that's right. Everything designed for, and used by, helicopter pilots needs to be twice as expensive...

Hello everyone my name is Dan and I work for Gibson & Barnes. You are correct that Gibson & Barnes does not sell fixed-wing helmets for use in helicopters.

I will do my best to explain Gentex and G&B’s position in this regard.

Fixed-wing helmets are different from helicopter helmets because the mission and flight conditions are different. Fixed wing helmets are small and light because of the high g forces often encountered. Their earcups are small because fixed-wing cockpits aren’t usually as noisy and the sound encountered is higher frequency which is easier to attenuate.

Helicopter helmets are larger because they have thicker shells and energy-absorbing liners and they have large-volume earcups that are necessary to attenuate low frequency sound. Rotor blades generate lots of sound with a frequency of 250HZ. Helmets involved in helicopter accidents usually receive multiple impacts so it is important that the helmet remain on the wearer’s head. .

The most protective helicopter helmet in the world is the helmet worn by the Army, Gentex’s HGU-56. It isn’t the world’s coolest helmet but it is a good design.

The Coast Guard’s uses the SPH-5 because it doesn’t interfere with their flotation collars. It is almost as protective as the HGU-56.

The Navy and Marine Corps use the HGU-84 with a bungee-visor. It looks like a fixed-wing helmet but offers a lower level of impact protection and sound attenuation.

Helmets features are trade-offs like everything else in aviation. You can’t have a small, light, cool-looking, highly protective, highly sound-attenuating, cheap helmet. Something has to give.

I’m not a pilot, but if I were, I’d wear the HGU-56.

Thanks

Dan

Speaking from personal experience, MSA helmets are every bit as crashworthy as an HGU-56 and a hell of a lot more comfortable. Uncle Sam always buys the cheapest gear, not necessarily the best. Gentex has been making helmets for a long time, and by no means am I saying they are crap, but I like my MSA and hope I never have to wear another Gentex. If you look at the actual safety standards that both helmets meet, the difference is virtually nil.

Anyone tried the new Northwall helmets? They look pretty cool and their specs seem to be good. They say they are lighter than a Gallet too. I have been wearing an HGU-84. Its always been comfortable but I need something new. It's between Gallt or Northwall.

@Rotorhead84: What will you be doing that you will be in a cockpit for 15-18 hours a day?

Edited by Trans Lift

Hello everyone my name is Dan and I work for Gibson & Barnes. You are correct that Gibson & Barnes does not sell fixed-wing helmets for use in helicopters.

I will do my best to explain Gentex and G&B’s position in this regard.

Fixed-wing helmets are different from helicopter helmets because the mission and flight conditions are different. Fixed wing helmets are small and light because of the high g forces often encountered. Their earcups are small because fixed-wing cockpits aren’t usually as noisy and the sound encountered is higher frequency which is easier to attenuate.

Helicopter helmets are larger because they have thicker shells and energy-absorbing liners and they have large-volume earcups that are necessary to attenuate low frequency sound. Rotor blades generate lots of sound with a frequency of 250HZ. Helmets involved in helicopter accidents usually receive multiple impacts so it is important that the helmet remain on the wearer’s head. .

The most protective helicopter helmet in the world is the helmet worn by the Army, Gentex’s HGU-56. It isn’t the world’s coolest helmet but it is a good design.

The Coast Guard’s uses the SPH-5 because it doesn’t interfere with their flotation collars. It is almost as protective as the HGU-56.

The Navy and Marine Corps use the HGU-84 with a bungee-visor. It looks like a fixed-wing helmet but offers a lower level of impact protection and sound attenuation.

Helmets features are trade-offs like everything else in aviation. You can’t have a small, light, cool-looking, highly protective, highly sound-attenuating, cheap helmet. Something has to give.

I’m not a pilot, but if I were, I’d wear the HGU-56.

Thanks

Dan

So the shell is thicker on the HGU-84 than the HGU-55?

Anyone tried the new Northwall helmets? They look pretty cool and their specs seem to be good. They say they are lighter than a Gallet too. I have been wearing an HGU-84. Its always been comfortable but I need something new. It's between Gallt or Northwall.

@Rotorhead84: What will you be doing that you will be in a cockpit for 15-18 hours a day?

I am an Ag pilot. If the -84 is comfortable why do you feel the need to change?

Edited by Rotorhead84

Sweet. I feel the need to change for weight. The northwall helmets are half the weight and I do mostly longline so that would help out a lot.

Sweet. I feel the need to change for weight. The northwall helmets are half the weight and I do mostly longline so that would help out a lot.

Had to google the Northwall helmet. Never heard of it. God is it ugly as sin, but it is very light. Which is always a plus when you're sticking your head out the door all the time

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing but then it doesn't look as bad on a person. I rang them today and had a good chat about it. It is the only flight helmet with vents. The guy said they definitely help out with the inner temps. It is also the only helmet with dual inner visors and a grand less than a gallet. I think I'll get one!

http://www.elno.fr/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=category&cid=28:equipements-de-t%C3%AAte-casques&Itemid=281&lang=en

Still waiting for someone to try these they do 2 versions.

Have Alpha eagle with ANR good but heavy compared with NW or elno

• 1 month later...

For years most of us wore the fixed-wing crop duster's and F-16 pilot's helmets, with the custom-molded fit. Best helicopter helmet ever made, especially for long-line.

Then a fatal accident and subsequent irrational law suit, in which the plaintiff's lawyer blamed Gentex and XXXXXXX for selling a fixed wing helmet to helicopter pilots, made an end to helicopter pilots wearing light and compact helmets.

I interviewed Chas Ewing, the inventor of the modern helicopter pilot's helmet, and he criticized the light helmet in question, calling it a "bump helmet." He has a point, but not as valid a point as the lawyers would lead you to believe.

Informed sources cite the SPH-4 and SPH-5 as the best helmets for safety and comfort, IF they fit you. Big problems with fitting. If they don't fit, they hurt. Bad. Not many options for making them fit other than Oregon Aero's excellent kit; in which case, you might as well have bought an HGU-56.

I presently wear an HGU-56, with several hours invested in fine-tuning the fit. Great helmet. It has a bit of a stand-off problem in tight cockpits, but other than that, you can't get a better helicopter pilot helmet.

Get the HGU-56. If it hurts, invest more time in fitting it. It may take some thought and time, but in the end you will have the ultimate helmet, especially with NVG's.

(I still have my fixed-wing helmet and I save it for long-line jobs. Don't tell Gentex or the lawyers.)

Oddly enough not any replies on the Alpha Eagle series. I have been looking at these for a year now. Not yet convinced to NOT get one. Infact the opposite.

What field experiences has anyone had with these helmets incomparison to Gallet, and Gentex?

About 2/3 of the way done with the season. Spent weeks wearing my HGU-84 for 12-14 hours a day, every day.

Love the helmet. Very comfortable. Very light. And the helmet is size XL. I am a bigger guy (6'3) and fly OH-58s and while it took some getting used to wearing a helmet, I can still stick my head out the door or move around as I please without banging into anything. (Most of the time HA!) Would recommend it to anyone. And that is with all the bone stock "factory" parts. I haven't yet purchased upgraded earseals or the oregon aero kit. All the parts in the helmet are standard issue.

Only complaint is whomever assembled my helmet must have been drunk. The visor assembly nutserts all tried falling out. I managed to get it fixed but the visor is very hard to operate. It worked great the first couple times I moved the visor up and down before things started coming loose. And I have an intermittent audio problem.

But gibson and barnes customer service was very quick and helpful and is going to repair the helmet for me as soon as I can spare the time to get it sent in.

Edited by Rotorhead84