VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats cars helios electronics
  • Company working for:Owner 50 + years

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:19

http://www.elno.fr/i...mid=281&lang=en

Still waiting for someone to try these they do 2 versions.

Have Alpha eagle with ANR good but heavy compared with NW or elno

Fly the dream fly 500

#22 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 19:47

I switched to Oregon Aero liners this year, and like them a lot better.  Cooler, more comfortable, and less hotspots.

#23 Rupert

Rupert

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:54

For years most of us wore the fixed-wing crop duster's and F-16 pilot's helmets, with the custom-molded fit. Best helicopter helmet ever made, especially for long-line.

Then a fatal accident and subsequent irrational law suit, in which the plaintiff's lawyer blamed Gentex and XXXXXXX for selling a fixed wing helmet to helicopter pilots, made an end to helicopter pilots wearing light and compact helmets.

I interviewed Chas Ewing, the inventor of the modern helicopter pilot's helmet, and he criticized the light helmet in question, calling it a "bump helmet." He has a point, but not as valid a point as the lawyers would lead you to believe.

Informed sources cite the SPH-4 and SPH-5 as the best helmets for safety and comfort, IF they fit you. Big problems with fitting. If they don't fit, they hurt. Bad. Not many options for making them fit other than Oregon Aero's excellent kit; in which case, you might as well have bought an HGU-56.

I presently wear an HGU-56, with several hours invested in fine-tuning the fit. Great helmet. It has a bit of a stand-off problem in tight cockpits, but other than that, you can't get a better helicopter pilot helmet.

Get the HGU-56. If it hurts, invest more time in fitting it. It may take some thought and time, but in the end you will have the ultimate helmet, especially with NVG's.

(I still have my fixed-wing helmet and I save it for long-line jobs. Don't tell Gentex or the lawyers.)

#24 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Mildly experienced stick wiggler/rookie expert

Posted 16 August 2013 - 19:46

Oddly enough not any replies on the Alpha Eagle series. I have been looking at these for a year now. Not yet convinced to NOT get one. Infact the opposite.

What field experiences has anyone had with these helmets incomparison to Gallet, and Gentex?
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#25 Rotorhead84

Rotorhead84

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:14

About 2/3 of the way done with the season.  Spent weeks wearing my HGU-84 for 12-14 hours a day, every day.

Love the helmet.  Very comfortable.  Very light.  And the helmet is size XL.  I am a bigger guy (6'3) and fly OH-58s and while it took some getting used to wearing a helmet, I can still stick my head out the door or move around as I please without banging into anything. (Most of the time HA!)  Would recommend it to anyone.  And that is with all the bone stock "factory" parts.  I haven't yet purchased upgraded earseals or the oregon aero kit. All the parts in the helmet are standard issue.

Only complaint is whomever assembled my helmet must have been drunk.  The visor assembly nutserts all tried falling out. I managed to get it fixed but the visor is very hard to operate.  It worked great the first couple times I moved the visor up and down before things started coming loose.  And I have an intermittent audio problem.

But gibson and barnes customer service was very quick and helpful and is going to repair the helmet for me as soon as I can spare the time to get it sent in.

Edited by Rotorhead84, 19 August 2013 - 09:16.

#26 MileHi480B

MileHi480B

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 23:41

Other than military flying ... are there documented cases (incidents/crashes) where the use of a helmet actually saved someone's life or lessened their injuries?

It's logical that a minor accident can be a fatality if our heads are hit hard ... but does that happen?

I know they look cool and all ... but do helmets save lives?  Really?  No opinions - just the facts.

#27 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:48

I'm not aware of any, but of course absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  It's theoretically possible for a helmet to save one's life in a helicopter accident, but I'm not convinced that it happens often enough to be worthwhile wearing one, for most operations.  However, I don't know of any data which actually quantifies this, or which even indicates accidents in which helmets would have saved a life.  All I can find are anecdotal reports, and those are unreliable.  I would love to see facts, but I'm not optimistic about finding them.

Best Regards,

Gomer

#28 Linc

Linc

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Company working for:one of the helicopter air ambulance providers

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:14

EMS companies and DOI/USFS have documented cases where pilots/crew survived with apparent impacts/strikes to the helmets. I don't know if they publish stats, but apparently they are big believers in helmets. 

Having said that, I was earlier reading the helmet discussions from almost eight years ago. Funny how nothing changes much.

Linc

For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else. Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly.

#29 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:57

A friend just received a new EVO with the Bose A20 earcups installed.  Just shy of three grand.  He's using his old Gentex X-liner.    He raved about it.  Comfortable and quiet.  Metal fittings rather than the gallet plastic.  He'd been using gentex prior to that, and will keep his gentex as a backup, but he seems sold in the EVO.

#30 DavidGutierez

DavidGutierez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:31

I don't know much about EPO.

Can anyone please tell me what does EPO actually means?

#31 Radam

Radam

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:11

EPO is a type of foam...  is that what your asking or are you asking about the EVO helmets lol

#32 kona4breakfast

kona4breakfast

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:16

There was a mid-air up here a while back between a cub and a USFW plane at low level.  The takeaway at the IA conference a few months later was: start wearing helmets, any kind of helmet.  Big difference between the USFW pilot's injuries (helmet) and the cub driver (headset).  Starting to see bush guys wearing helmets, and I have basically a modified bike helmet for my plane.  I have an HGU-56 (obvs) for my heli flying, but it's a giant pain in the ass.  I have a feeling that I'm going to need a better helmet when I start hanging out the door.

I told my mom I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.  She told me I couldn't do both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Spectrum_VRHome200NFCVRForum200HomePrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeLORD_VRHome200BE_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200