Hawaii Helicopter Industry/ Jobs

In september of this year I plan on attending Mauna Loa Helicopters on the Big Island, which I have herd nothing but good things about, and would like to get some information on the flying industry on the island.

I plan to make a permanent residence there with my wife and live life. My main concern is what type of jobs are offered, salary, employment competition, and anything at all that has to go with flying and living in Hawaii as a helicopter pilot. I'm curious as to how hard jobs are to obtain and what the pay is like starting out.

I would really like to hear from any pilots on the Hawaiian islands and any information would help me out, whether it's about employment or schools.

Thanks

• Like 2

I tried moving to Hawaii once. Its a very difficult place to start a career,...any career! Once you have several thousand hours you may be able to get in somewhere, Blue Hawaiian posts ads every so often for 2500hr pilots.

I've been to the Big Island, its ok, I think Maui would be an easier place to live, but I don't think there are any heli schools there. If you're lucky Mauna Loa will hire you, but you'll probably have to leave the islands once you have 1500hrs or so to build the experience to get a job with any other helicopter operator there?

Even getting a job at a golf course is difficult in Hawaii,..and they're everywhere! I even had a letter of recomendation from my local head pro, but still couldn't get in anywhere!

Good luck!

Edited by eagle5
  • Like 1

Miller,

From what I have heard and read Mauna Loa seems like an excellent school to attend, although I cannot personally vouch for them. I have only visited the Big Island once; it was an incredible experience that I will never forget. Training there would no doubt be a fantastic adventure.

As you will read in other threads on this site and throughout the web, this is a difficult industry in which to 'get your foot in the door'. After completing flight school (assuming that you train all the way through to CFI/I) you will have three options to pursue in an attempt to start your career.

1.) Flight Instruction (civilian).

2.) Military.

3.) Police Agency.

There are sub-forums for military and law enforcement pilots; I would recommend searching for information there if that is a path that interests you.

I began my career as a flight instructor, so I will elaborate on that.

Many flight schools prefer to hire from within. This, however, does not guarantee a job. There will always be a surplus of freshly minted CFI's and only a limited number of positions to fill. So, hope for the best but plan for the worst. There is a high probability that you will have to leave Hawaii to pursue a job with another flight school inland.

Flexibility and mobility are the key to success. You and your family must be prepared to move; not only once but multiple times. This is not to say that you cannot live the dream in Hawaii, but realistically it will be a few rungs up the career ladder.

If you secure a job as a flight instructor, the pay will not constitute the time, energy, money and stress that is put in to becoming a CFI/I. If you are fortunate enough to work at a flight school with a steady revenue stream, expect to make $17,000-25,000 annually. Many flight instructors make less due to a low student volume and have to take on a second, part-time job.

Be prepared to work as an instructor for 1-4 years to accumulate the necessary time to qualify for tier two of the flying career ladder.

Tier two includes Tours (in larger piston helicopters such as the R-44 or smaller turbine helicopters such as the B206 and MD500. Larger tour operators will utilize larger turbine singles such as the B407 and AS350). The second option is personnel transport in the Gulf of Mexico (B206, B407 and the AS350).

Once you have accumulated 1,000-3,000 hours of flight time, you may be able to secure a position with a smaller tour operator in Hawaii. I wouldn't count on being able to transfer directly to a large operator such as Blue Hawaiian without tour and turbine experience.

To sum this up, everyone has to pay their dues to live the dream. Be prepared to move, live at the poverty line and work as an indentured servant for a couple of years. Most important of all, you must love flying. The indescribable addiction of flying is what will push you through each obstacle.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Some things to consider when desiring to train in Hawaii.

The cost of living is way high! If they hire you you'll be making very little (think living in your car for a very long time)! When/if you have the 1000-2000hrs needed to move out of teaching, the nearest "next level" jobs are an airliner away, its an island remember!

My advice; do your training in Florida. There you'll be able to drive around and hand deliver your resume when its time to look for work. Then once you have 3000hrs look for work in Hawaii!

If Mauna Loa doesn;t hire you, what will you do?

As for competition, well; you're trying to get a "dream job" in "paradise", think about that for a while!

Edited by pilot#476398

• 3 months later...

I tried moving to Hawaii once. Its a very difficult place to start a career,...any career! Once you have several thousand hours you may be able to get in somewhere, Blue Hawaiian posts ads every so often for 2500hr pilots.

I've been to the Big Island, its ok, I think Maui would be an easier place to live, but I don't think there are any heli schools there. If you're lucky Mauna Loa will hire you, but you'll probably have to leave the islands once you have 1500hrs or so to build the experience to get a job with any other helicopter operator there?

Even getting a job at a golf course is difficult in Hawaii,..and they're everywhere! I even had a letter of recomendation from my local head pro, but still couldn't get in anywhere!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience. I defiantly agree that its goanna be ruff, especially from all the research I've been doing. I'm starting training at Mauna Loa in November 2013 and once I complete my training I'm hoping for a job with the school but as I've found out you have to follow the work and I may not be able to stay in Hawaii but that’s okay cause I'm doing it for the love of flying and eventually I can come back to the islands in the future.

Yea as far as I know there’s no heli school on Maui. I went for the The Big Island because of the diversity in landscape and I thought it might be the cheapest island to live on.

If you don't mind me asking what's your current status in the industry of flying? Also could you elaborate on your move to Hawaii for me? For example your status upon trying to move there and hours you had and what type of work you were looking for? I'm not trying to be nosy I'm just a newbie looking for all and any information to give me a better understanding of the flight industry.

Thanks Again

Justin

I wanted to thank everybody for the info and helping me understand this process better.

Miller,

From what I have heard and read Mauna Loa seems like an excellent school to attend, although I cannot personally vouch for them. I have only visited the Big Island once; it was an incredible experience that I will never forget. Training there would no doubt be a fantastic adventure.

As you will read in other threads on this site and throughout the web, this is a difficult industry in which to 'get your foot in the door'. After completing flight school (assuming that you train all the way through to CFI/I) you will have three options to pursue in an attempt to start your career.

1.) Flight Instruction (civilian).

2.) Military.

3.) Police Agency.

There are sub-forums for military and law enforcement pilots; I would recommend searching for information there if that is a path that interests you.

I began my career as a flight instructor, so I will elaborate on that.

Many flight schools prefer to hire from within. This, however, does not guarantee a job. There will always be a surplus of freshly minted CFI's and only a limited number of positions to fill. So, hope for the best but plan for the worst. There is a high probability that you will have to leave Hawaii to pursue a job with another flight school inland.

Flexibility and mobility are the key to success. You and your family must be prepared to move; not only once but multiple times. This is not to say that you cannot live the dream in Hawaii, but realistically it will be a few rungs up the career ladder.

If you secure a job as a flight instructor, the pay will not constitute the time, energy, money and stress that is put in to becoming a CFI/I. If you are fortunate enough to work at a flight school with a steady revenue stream, expect to make $17,000-25,000 annually. Many flight instructors make less due to a low student volume and have to take on a second, part-time job.

Be prepared to work as an instructor for 1-4 years to accumulate the necessary time to qualify for tier two of the flying career ladder.

Tier two includes Tours (in larger piston helicopters such as the R-44 or smaller turbine helicopters such as the B206 and MD500. Larger tour operators will utilize larger turbine singles such as the B407 and AS350). The second option is personnel transport in the Gulf of Mexico (B206, B407 and the AS350).

Once you have accumulated 1,000-3,000 hours of flight time, you may be able to secure a position with a smaller tour operator in Hawaii. I wouldn't count on being able to transfer directly to a large operator such as Blue Hawaiian without tour and turbine experience.

To sum this up, everyone has to pay their dues to live the dream. Be prepared to move, live at the poverty line and work as an indentured servant for a couple of years. Most important of all, you must love flying. The indescribable addiction of flying is what will push you through each obstacle.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information and the detailed response. I enjoyed hearing from someone who has already went through the process.

I wanted to give you guys an update and let you know I've decided to attend Mauna Loa Helicopters in November 2013. The school seems to have great ratings, great staff, and a wonderful environment to train in. I do plan on having to leave the islands once my schooling is complete or I have to make the jump from CFI to tour operator on the mainland but that’s okay because I'll make my way back to the islands in the future, with a lot more experience. No Worries I'm goanna do what I love.

Thanks

Justin

If you don't mind me asking what's your current status in the industry of flying? Also could you elaborate on your move to Hawaii for me? For example your status upon trying to move there and hours you had and what type of work you were looking for? I'm not trying to be nosy I'm just a newbie looking for all and any information to give me a better understanding of the flight industry.

Thanks Again

Justin

My current status in aviation is,...decided to pursue other things and just fly for fun.

When I moved to Hawaii (in 98' I think) I wasn't a pilot yet. I had graduated from the Golf Academy of America and was looking for work at golf courses. I had enough money saved for maybe 2 months, so I bought an old Honda, got a cheap hotel room and started looking. About 2 weeks later I left the hotel, joined a gym (for a place to shave, sh*t, and shower) and moved into my car,...I slept at the camp grounds. This was on Kauai by the way although I also applied for work on Maui. A month later, still with no job anywhere, I decided to return to the mainland.

I've only known one CFI from there. After reaching 1000hrs working at Mauna Loa on the Big Island his plan was to go to Temsco in Alaska. I'm not sure how/where the students live over there, but I remember him saying that they usually buy old scooters to get around.