northwall LMT helicopter helmet review

Europeanair

I am using an Alpha Eagle 901 Dual Visor Helicopter Helmet with built in ANR for utility work. I am not too happy with it. If I compare it to my Lightspeed headset which I use for Instructing, the sound quality is poor.

I found an intresting manufacturer of helmets but not one review in the web: northwall LMT helicopter helmet

Does anyone have some experience with this helmet? How about the sound quality?

I talked to their rep at their office the other day. It's super light and seems to be a great helmet but not many people have them yet from what I see. He said they are selling a lot of them. I think I am going to order one in the next month.

I'd ditch the ANR on the alpha helmet, and install a CEP kit. I have found ANR in a doors off/utility environment to not be very effective.

I agree. I have the CEP with the custom ear molds. I started with ANR 7 years ago, went to the foamy CEP and then progressed to the ear molds. Nothing compares. The volumes on my radios are on the lowest settings. They work great!!!!

I agree. I have the CEP with the custom ear molds. I started with ANR 7 years ago, went to the foamy CEP and then progressed to the ear molds. Nothing compares. The volumes on my radios are on the lowest settings. They work great!!!!

Where did you get the ear molds done? Someone told me to go to a music store or did you have to go to an ear, nose throat doctor? I'm still using the foamy CEP.

Thanks,

Installing CEP is easy enough if you have basic soldering skills and the proper size drillbits, and decent handyman skills. You have to drill a hole in the helmet shell for the jack, and connect the internal wiring into the earphone circuit. It's not rocket science, but not everyone is comfortable with this type of thing. For me, it's an everyday task, but I've been soldering for about 50 years, and I've built my own headsets from hearing protectors for about 30 years. I also completely agree that CEP is the way to go, especially for anyone who has to put his head into the wind. ANR is pretty worthless for that. I've tried custom earmolds, and I've reverted to triple-flange silicone eartips. I find they're actually quieter, and more reliable. I get them from online stores that sell them for stereo earbuds. The foam ones are ok, but the silicone models are more durable, lots cheaper in the long run, and are a little quieter.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I purchased a LMT pilot helmet last year and I have been flying with it for a few months now. Like every helmet it took a while to get after I ordered it. Mine was first generation and had some minor functional problems. I sent it back to Safecoom Products this week for an upgrade to a second generation model. Which corrects all the previous problems.

I really like the weight of the helmet compared to others since I only do vertical ref work.

The second thing I really like is that both visors are in the helmet and not mounted on top so I don't hit the door post all the time.

Third thing is the size of the helmet. I mostly fly AS350 with the floor window. With the LMT helmet I can fly with the doors on in the winter without hitting my head on the window all the time. On my previous helmet I had to remove the duel visor so I had enough room and not to scratch the window.

I post again as soon as I get it back and let you know how the second gen version is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been into 4 different Sam's Clubs within the last year which have an audiology store near the exits which display the capability to make custom ear molds. I absolutely love mine compared to the foam tips. I have a set for CEPs and another set for pure hearing protection.

I have been into 4 different Sam's Clubs within the last year which have an audiology store near the exits which display the capability to make custom ear molds. I absolutely love mine compared to the foam tips. I have a set for CEPs and another set for pure hearing protection.

If you don't mind, what did they cost?

IIRC - $40. Much cheaper than the Westone ones I had poured at AAAA a few years ago.

Thanks, that's worth trying. I'd dumped my foam comply inserts for the silicone plugs someone else had recommended and that was a great improvement and about $1.50/pr but always looking to improve. No SAMs Clubs near here but I'll keep my eye out for something similar.