• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 aeroscout

aeroscout

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, skydiving, Speaking, Writing, Reading.
  • Company working for:Caruso

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:16

You can build some instrument time flying offshore.  Elsewhere, it can be difficult.

In a single pilot helo ? If so, which one(s) ?

#42 JDHelicopterPilot

JDHelicopterPilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Company working for:REACH Air Medical EMS (Instructor Pilot) FAA Safety Team Representitive (OAK FSDO)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 22:22

No. The GOM is all dual pilot IFR. Single pilot IFR in helicopters is most seen in EMS not many other places.

EMS will take a pilot with dual pilot IFR time. Dont worry about that. Stick to the light twins like EC135 or S76. I have see pilots come from the S92 and it was a little bit of a challenge to say the least.
JD

FAASTeam Representitive (OAK FSDO)
www.facebook.com/jdhelicopterpilot

#43 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:02

A possible stupid question.  I was an instrument instructor for initial military helo training, so I was flying lots of actual instrument time with students who were not instrument qualified or qualified in model. Can I advertise this as single pilot IFR experience?

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#44 JDHelicopterPilot

JDHelicopterPilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Company working for:REACH Air Medical EMS (Instructor Pilot) FAA Safety Team Representitive (OAK FSDO)

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:10

I would "advertise" that as dual given and you should have already logged the actual time in your log book. Saying that was SPIFR is miss leading. You were a Instructor Pilot teaching IFR.
JD

FAASTeam Representitive (OAK FSDO)
www.facebook.com/jdhelicopterpilot

#45 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:18

No, there is no SPIFR in the GOM, AFAIK.  It's dual-pilot, because it's all in medium or large helicopters, and Part 135 requires 2 pilots for those, even for VFR flights.  But instrument time is instrument time.  You won't get any job flying SPIFR if you don't have instrument time, and you won't get instrument time in a single-pilot helicopter, unless you buy your own and fly it.  Get the multi-crew instrument time, and you have a chance at SPIFR jobs.  You won't get the chance without the instrument time.

Best Regards,

Gomer

#46 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 09 October 2013 - 20:16

I would "advertise" that as dual given and you should have already logged the actual time in your log book. Saying that was SPIFR is miss leading. You were a Instructor Pilot teaching IFR.

Rog.  No intent to mislead. Obviously my logbook shows another pilot aboard (military logbooks alway list the copilot, qualified or not), as well as the actual time. Under military rules (at least USN/USMC) we use single-pilot approach mins when we have copilots not-qualified in model, for instance. I think I could at least promote myself as being ready for SPIFR based on the fact that flying in IMC with a pilot with barely 50 helicopter hours can sometimes be worse than flying by oneself! Sometimes a bad copilot is more like a -0.5 pilot rather than a +1.  I would never try to mislead as to what's in my logbook.  I was just wondering if a typical interviewer would see that time instructing in instruments as a plus when applying to a SPIFR, or if they only want an apples-to-apples comparison.  

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#47 tklincoln

tklincoln

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 00:57

.... flying in IMC with a pilot with barely 50 helicopter hours can sometimes be worse than flying by oneself! Sometimes a bad copilot is more like a -0.5 pilot rather than a +1.

Brother, I hear you. That's my life like every other day!
  • ospreydriver and Joe_P148 like this

#48 ah64eric

ah64eric

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:01

In our extensive 17 minute interview (I timed it) he mentioned 7 times that he had a PhD in psychology.  The majority of my interview consisted if him trying to figure out of I was concealing an arrest.  Good job Perry Mason.
[/quote]

FLYING PIG: Thats as funny as it is truly sad. It sounds to me like your Perry Mason psychologist spent most of that interview determining if he was even talking to the right person!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

PrecisionVRForumHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200BE_VRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200AMTC 2018LORD_VRHome200NFCVRForum200Home