Marine Corps Reserve to WOFT

Ive been browsing the forums for a while, looking for help studying for my SIFT, but Im running into a little bit of trouble actually applying to WOFT. I am a Marine Reservist (E-3, hoping to pick up E-4 next quarter) and have just over 3 years time in service. I am determined to make it into the Army's flight program, but Im running into a lot of trouble, mostly recruiters not knowing anything about this process. A few know the process for civilians, but most are completely baffled by me being already in the military.

I already have my DD-368 signed off by a G-1 from MARFORRES Manpower. (A guy that can release me in civilian terminology). Whats the next step, MEPS and SIFT? Ive already been studying, but I was told the first step is my Flight Physical which seems absolutely asinine (most expensive part for the military and longest waiting period). Can anyone advise me on this please.

Also, any other advice for a service member transitioning over would be greatly appreciated.

S/F

Pretty sure the only difference between active Army and anything else (besides Civ) is the conditional release, your DD368. You are boarded with all the other currently serving people. Just complete your packet and and email it. Being that you already have a CAC card, there should be no reason that you cannot schedule all your tests yourself. I would avoid using recruiters as much as possible, and do everything possible before you do, that way they know there is very little for them to do.

Pretty sure the only difference between active Army and anything else (besides Civ) is the conditional release, your DD368. You are boarded with all the other currently serving people. Just complete your packet and and email it. Being that you already have a CAC card, there should be no reason that you cannot schedule all your tests yourself. I would avoid using recruiters as much as possible, and do everything possible before you do, that way they know there is very little for them to do.

Reservists go through the civillan board when they are going active duty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thats the most confusing part haha. I'm working on it... Slow process, but that doesnt seem to be out of place here haha

It's definitely not a quick process by any means. I may be luckier than some but it took 11 months from starting the process to being selected. Hang in there!

If we're counting the time its taken since I tried this with the Marines.. Its been several years. Perseverance is definitely my strong suite, almost to the point where you'd consider it stubbornness. Thanks for the encouragement though!

What about the Air Guardsman trying to go Army National Guard. It seems like a major pain in the a@@. Most recruiters give you a line of bs and then it's like pulling teeth trying to find an Army Guard unit with openings. I have heard differences in joining the Army Guard enlisting then others say you can go straight to WO training through another route. Any suggestions?

What about the Air Guardsman trying to go Army National Guard. It seems like a major pain in the a@@. Most recruiters give you a line of bs and then it's like pulling teeth trying to find an Army Guard unit with openings. I have heard differences in joining the Army Guard enlisting then others say you can go straight to WO training through another route. Any suggestions?

From my one conversation with a NG CWO in Florida, he said his unit keeps begging its enlisted to put in WOFT packets and they come up short every time... Take that for what its worth. Recruiters are like car salesman, if theres nothing in it for them, they're very unmotivated to help you out, so the easiest way to get rid of you is a line of BS.

It's not difficult finding a Guard unit, the difficult part is getting your packet together while working a full-time job and making contacts with whatever unit you're trying to go to. I submitted my packet in March and I won't board until 25 Oct. I'm a former Marine myself.

For what it's worth I hopped on a couple Hawk flights and the pilots were telling me some good things about applying with the Guard. It takes time, but still a good route in my opinion.

That's my Guard input for the day.

It's not difficult finding a Guard unit, the difficult part is getting your packet together while working a full-time job and making contacts with whatever unit you're trying to go to. I submitted my packet in March and I won't board until 25 Oct. I'm a former Marine myself.

For what it's worth I hopped on a couple Hawk flights and the pilots were telling me some good things about applying with the Guard. It takes time, but still a good route in my opinion.

That's my Guard input for the day.

I would join the Guard if I could.. But still having time left on my contract, they'll only give me a conditional release if I go active duty, not reserve.