Am I ever going to be employable?

Bucket

I have around 300 hours in a R22 my last flight was on last flight was on 8/3/07.

I'm instrument rated and commercial rated.

I was extremely close to finishing my CFI. I had some family issues come up and the stress of finishing along with all the money I borrowed had taken its toll. I ended up losing a mother in law to cancer and had a my wife's ten year old nephew move in with us in a one bedroom apartment. I just couldn't get it together and have always felt like I fail my self.

So I ask the all mighty interpersonal, do you guys think there is any way to get back in it with out dropping $10K+ in flight time? I was thinking about talking to a local school (I'm in Tallahassee) and getting my ground school training certificate first and working toads a CFI. I feel it would be good to be back in the environment and I can relearn what I have lost with little class room time.

Any in put would be great.

Get your CFI. It will give you more options for employment. Tallahassee Helicopters is close for you, but I think they only offer training in the 44.

I have around 300 hours in a R22 my last flight was on last flight was on 8/3/07.

I was extremely close to finishing my CFI. I had some family issues come up and the stress of finishing along with all the money I borrowed had taken its toll. I ended up losing a mother in law to cancer and had a my wife's ten year old nephew move in with us in a one bedroom apartment. I just couldn't get it together and have always felt like I fail my self.

So I ask the all mighty interpersonal, do you guys think there is any way to get back in it with out dropping $10K+ in flight time? I was thinking about talking to a local school (I'm in Tallahassee) and getting my ground school training certificate first and working toads a CFI. I feel it would be good to be back in the environment and I can relearn what I have lost with little class room time.

In my opinion....

Inspirational probably not, but you’ll need to finish the CFI (the II in fact) to have any kind of realistic shot at this. And while it would appear you are in a tough stretch, that shouldn’t stop you from attaining your goals. With that, finishing the CFII should be the goal and if you don’t have the cash to do that, then get to work and get it. Find as many jobs you can and fill ALL of your time with work. And, while teaching ground school might be a small step in the right direction, it would surely be a lesser step than plunking down a wad of cash to finish the CFII………

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

...do you guys think there is any way to get back in it with out dropping $10K+ in flight time?

You might be able to do it for about half that? There are some schools stll out there ( I think) that hire non CFIIs? So, take 5 grand, get your CFI, and see if you can find a job, if you can't, then,...well,...you'll have to spend more to get the CFII.

The Michael Jordan Nike commercial says it clearly:

You have to be in the game to win. If you want it, go for it.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why any school would hire someone with just a ground teaching cert., considering there are plenty of CFIs out there who can teach ground and flight?

As for getting back in (I'm assuming getting your CFI/II ratings) for less than 10K? That just depends on how long it takes to get your skills back?

The Michael Jordan Nike commercial says it clearly:

You have to be in the game to win. If you want it, go for it.

I love it!! That says it all. :D

I am pretty much stuck in Tallahassee for schools, to attend and work. I would like to end up working the gulf after words.

I would like to focus on ground just because that's what was weak be for. I had pretty good flight skills but its been so long.

And I'll be 32 in November.

I think I just need to contact Tallahassee Helicopters and see what they think.

Thanks for all the input and inspiration.

Well I am 37 and will be 38 in November. I just got my CFI Friday. You need to think about it differently if age is in your factoring.

I started "real" work when I was about 19. At age 22 I started in a construction company. Knew absolutely nothing. That was 98. By 2002 I started my own company as a GC and got married all in the same week. ( guess the wedding wasn't enough stress that week lol). By 2005 I was bankrupt had two kids, no company and starting all over again. I have since gone on and done so much more. It would take too long to list my life in one post.

Last year I started flight school in April. And now I too looked at where I was based on age. Then it hit me.

That has all been in 15 years! I have lived at least 4 lifetimes in 15 years! OMG moment here really! I had an eye opener when the time I had actually lived hit me!

So what more lays ahead in the next 15? I will be a young 52 then......who knows...might have been president.....on second thought nahhhhh...... Probably a successful pilot raising two young men into great hunters....and showing them how to succeed in their journey of life!

BTW. Prepware apps. $10 per subject. Pvt, inst, comm, CFI. So for $40 you would have some of the best study software around. You hit that hard, and in two weeks you would sharpen your iron!

Good luck! You know you want it, so go and get you some!

Happy flying

John

I'm not sure why any school would hire someone with just a ground teaching cert., considering there are plenty of CFIs out there who can teach ground and flight?

Don't diss on the cert. since you've never seen it in play:)

I work and have worked with many people where it has put food on the table.

In the military contracting business there are jobs for ground instructing- granted flying experience is another preferred prerequisite the majority of the time.

Edited by HeliFun

Don't diss on the cert. since you've never seen it in play:)

I work and have worked with many people where it has put food on the table.

In the military contracting business there are jobs for ground instructing- granted flying experience is another preferred prerequisite the majority of the time.

Would a military contractor hire a 300hr civilian commercial pilot who only has a ground teaching cert.?

Would a military contractor hire a 300hr civilian commercial pilot who only has a ground teaching cert.?

If they were Bilingual and spoke fluent Spanish its possible- Bristow Academy in Titusville has a military contract department that utilizes ground instructors.