SIFT pointers

well my SIFT and flight physical are scheduled for september. That's the last two items i need for my guard packet to be submitted. i met with the state WOSM the other day and he seemed pretty excited to see my packet. he gave the impression based on his stories of the other ten or so applicants that he has right now that im close to the top of the list and seemed more squared away than others from other branches or even current Sgts that are applying. he is trying to get me ready for the September board (state board) on the 23rd. with NG i dont think there is a rucker board...

i'm not worried about the physical. too easy. my current pulhes is 11111.

i wanted to ask, of the people here that are in the know, does anyone have any advice or last minute points of study for taking the sift. it seems to be my biggest hurdle between now and the state board.

sorry for the grammer and punctuation, im on my phone and its acting up. stupid droid

There's a massive sift thread in here where several of us have written extensive reports on what we experienced and tons of tips on what to prepare for. I think Lindsey even compiled it all in her woft guide. A cursory search through the forums will give you everything you need.

There's a massive sift thread in here where several of us have written extensive reports on what we experienced and tons of tips on what to prepare for. I think Lindsey even compiled it all in her woft guide. A cursory search through the forums will give you everything you need.

For what it's worth (and not sure if he's ever been on a board to know for sure or not) was told by a CW5 that the USAREC Selection board only sees if you passed or failed when selecting. Seems kind of bizarre that they wouldn't take the result of that score into account but I'll take his word for it.

For what it's worth (and not sure if he's ever been on a board to know for sure or not) was told by a CW5 that the USAREC Selection board only sees if you passed or failed when selecting. Seems kind of bizarre that they wouldn't take the result of that score into account but I'll take his word for it.

Well seeing as how no packet in the "stack" contains a failing score. It's probably safe to say that it's not really looked at in much detail unless they are trying to decide between two comparable candidates with very similar stats. I would assume that they look at things like Bn Board scores and LoR's first and foremost, to make sure that others actually think you will excel in the program. Then look at PT and GPA to ensure that you are driven enough to do well.

Just my $.02

Well seeing as how no packet in the "stack" contains a failing score. It's probably safe to say that it's not really looked at in much detail unless they are trying to decide between two comparable candidates with very similar stats. I would assume that they look at thinks like Bn Board scores and LoR's first and foremost, to make sure that others actually think you will excel in the program. Then look at PT and GPA to ensure that you are driven enough to do well.

Just my $.02

Agreed, just passing along what I was told.

• 2 months later...

For everyone about to take the SIFT:

I just took the SIFT yesterday. You need to get a copy of the FAA Helicopter Handbook. You can view/download it for free here:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

Instead of reading the entire thing, study intently on the first 3 chapters. Most of the SIFT questions come from there. Make sure you understand how the chopper controls work (cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedals), basic aerodynamics, and terms like Autorotation, translating tendency, coning, dissymmetry of lift, etc. Also, learn about the Army helicopters and what they do: OH-58, CH-47, UH-60, and AH-64.

Beyond that, you need to brush up on as much math as you can. The math portion is adaptive so if you get a question right, you'll get a harder one next. Focus on algebra, probability, and geometry, but it threw me some calculus questions at the end. Take your time on the math.

Also, take your time on the paragraph comprehension and Aviation knowledge. Work very quickly on simple drawings and hidden figures. Hidden figures are a pain. I didn't make it very far through those. For everything else, you can't really study. Important: On the Aviation knowledge, Paragraph comprehension, and Spatial Apperception subtests, you can flag a particular question and come back to it later. The tutorial explains in detail how to do this. It helped me out a lot and I thought it gave plenty of time for those three sections. Spatial apperception is easy. I think they took the questions on that subtest from the AFOQT. If you spend some time playing Flight Simulator, you'll do great on that section. I went through the first couple groups of "Flying Lessons" on Flight Simulator 2004 and learned about how all of the instruments work. That was very helpful.

I studied hard on those first 3 chapters of the FAA handbook and brushed up on my math before the test and got a 65. They said that was a good score. I also got an AFQT of 98 and GT score of 137 on my ASVAB so that gives you something to compare to. I have a bachelor's degree and was always good at math, so I guess I had an advantage on that part. But, if you study hard, you can get a good score. One of the other guys taking it with me was a civilian flight instructor and he got a 59.

The average score is a 50, so if you get higher than that, I assume it will be considered a "competitive" score. I'm pretty sure it works by standard deviation, so if you get a 60, you're an entire deviation above average. Good luck future aviators!

• Like 3

For everyone about to take the SIFT:

The average score is a 50, so if you get higher than that, I assume it will be considered a "competitive" score. I'm pretty sure it works by standard deviation, so if you get a 60, you're an entire deviation above average. Good luck future aviators!

Score?

I was told when they tested the sift before releasing it they gave it to Rucker students. Their avg score was a 50 so that's why they made 40 a passing score. I got a 49 so I like to think I'm amongst flight school smart lol

• Like 2

I just took the SIFT yesterday and Mikechopper has some great pointers. I scored pretty well on the AFAST so I was hoping not to have to take the SIFT but it wasn't too bad.

Some things I noted:

Simple Drawings (2 min, 100 Qs) - There's no way to finish but it's not too difficult.

Hidden Figures (5 min, 50 Qs) - Kind of frustrating for me, they really were hidden....and more complex than I was expecting. Again, no way to finish.

Army Aviation Information Test (30 min, 40 Qs) - I was really pretty surprised by some of the question they were asking here. They asked about the mission of airframes and things relating to Army Aviation.

Spacial Apperception Test (10 min, 25 Qs) - This was pretty similar to the section on the AFAST. They show you an airplane and a have you match the view from the cockpit. Simple enough.

Reading Comprehension Test (30 min, 20 Qs) - A little difficult to know what they are looking for here. Just read the paragraph completely and don't rush through it.

Math Skills Test (40 min, adaptive) - This section really threw me for a loop. Like Mikechopper said; algebra, probability, maybe a little calculus. It started out pretty hard for me but it is an adaptive test so it gets harder if you're answering correctly. I actually enjoy math and have taken several college math courses up to calc 2 but it has been a while and I was having to knock the cobwebs out during the test...not ideal.

Mechanical Comprehension Test (15 min, adaptive) - Pretty self explanatory. Again adaptive so it gets more complex as you go.

The SIFT FAQ from the USAREC site has a little info about it. It also says it takes between 2 and 3 hours to take. I was done in about 1 hr 20 min.

And just as a gauge, I got a 145 on the AFAST and just scored 68 on the SIFT.

Good Luck.

Everyone here pretty much summed it up.

What I will add, is that taking practice tests are the best way (in my experience) to prepare for this test. The math, mechanical comprehension, and aviation knowledge are the only sections that you can really STUDY and gain/re-learn knowledge. The rest are a simple matter of practice. And you need to practice math and mechanical a lot too. Algebra, calculus and geometry simply don't just come back to you. The laws that govern mechanical relationships take a minute to familiarize on too.

I picked up 3 study guides and the FAA Rotorcraft manual. I assembled my own practice SIFT based on the FAQ from the USAREC website. When I finished them, I started pulling practice sections of the internet. After I had done 5 or 6 practice tests, I went back to the first one and did it again. By then I didn't remember the answers, and I was able to practice the test taking technique.

In my experience, I did worse on the practice tests than I did the real thing. That was also my experience with the ASVAB. Don't get discouraged, just keep practicing.

I would ignore the rumor mill regarding whether the scores are looked at or not. I find it impossible to believe they are not using the scores, at least in some manner. Study your a$$ off and practice incessantly. Assuming you pass, you only get to take the test once. You can retake a PT test, appeal a physical DQ, and rewrite your resume. If you get a 41, you are stuck with that forever.

Just my $.02

I got a 71. It worked for me. Individual results my vary.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just took the SIFT today after reading your posts on here. Definitely the FAA manual is a must! I read Ch 1-3 last night and it helped immensely, although I do wish I would have read the whole thing before the test. The math portion felt like I was physically getting my ass kicked, it's been so long since high school (12 years)! I think I ended up doing pretty decent, but I will say that a flight video game would probably help on the spatial apperception section more than anything...I wish I had played one a little more recently.

Thanks for the pointers everybody!

I met with a CW5 that sat on the board last march, she said that for FY13 board member are not told scores due to the afast being accepted for part and the SIFT being accepted for part. Lucky for me the CW5 that wrote my LOR slipped my GT, AFAST, SIFT, and APFT scores in. Kind of put them right in their face where they had to see them. Got selected last september :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm going to resurrect this thing, as I just took the SIFT yesterday and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I'm hoping that by putting my thoughts down here, I'll be able to get some closure and move on. :blink:

The test starts by asking you some basic demographic questions (race, ethnicity, gender, education, military background, etc.) Next, I was surprised to be asked a bunch of questions about my video game experience. "Have you played any flight simulators? PC, Xbox, Playstation? How many hours do you spend playing video games a week? Did you play video games often as a child? What types of video games do you enjoy?" I'm guessing that video game experience actually prepares you for flight school, but either way, I was slightly amused by these questions.

Simple Drawings: I finished all 100. I wouldn't even bother studying for this section, as the sample questions provided before you start are good enough. I made sure to keep my cursor on the middle of the five drawings, so that I could guarantee the shortest amount of time wasted by moving. I know I accidentally clicked the wrong picture maybe 5 times max.

Hidden Figures: This section got easier as I moved through it, probably due to my brain growing accustomed to the images. They give you approx. 10 in a row with the same figures, then they switch the figures around, to keep you thinking. I was somewhere in the 30's before I timed out. Definitely check out some of the practice tests. I found that by backing my eyes up and looking at the whole image, rather than focusing inside trying to discern the shapes, I was able to locate them much faster. Anyone that finishes this section entirely gets props from me!

Army Aviation Information: Know the names and missions of the Army's air frames. I didn't study actual Army specific knowledge because I already knew it all from Air Assault School and the Joint Fire Observers Course. However, I did study the FAA handbook. I read the first 5 chapters 2-3 times, and hand copied the entire glossary multiple times. I was able to answer at least 35/40 confidently, and make pretty strong guesses on the remainder. I had plenty of time to recheck each answer at least twice. My first time through, I flagged and skipped any question that I wasn't confident on, and had time to go back and think for a minute at the end. Some of the later questions actually answered earlier questions inadvertently.

Spatial Apperception: By far the easiest section of the test. Had more time than I needed. Was able to answer confidently every single question. I did flag one or two for later review, but in the end was able to discern the correct answer. I ended up skipping out of this section with a good 5-10 minutes left over.

Break time. Used restroom, chatted with the instructor who was prior service Army. We happened to be in the 101st together around the same time. Felt very relaxed and ready for the second half of the test.

Reading Comprehension: Just like the aviation section, I had more than enough time. I read every paragraph slowly and completely, and only had to guess on one or two questions that had similar answers. I flagged one or two of these, and had at least 10 minutes at the end to re-evaluate and make the best choice I could. Be careful, as some of the choices use inference or include an odd word that might mean multiple things. All in all, not a difficult section.

Math Skills: I didn't study too hard for this section, as I am an accounting major, and design electrical distribution systems for a living. I had the Barron's study guide, and if you know all of the math concepts in that book, you should be fine. I answered maybe 10 questions total, each getting progressively more difficult, before the test section booted me to the mechanical portion. The test provides you maybe 10 or 15 basic math formulas, but one of the first questions was a geometry question about triangles that wasn't in the basic formulas. Good thing I remembered that A2+B2=C2. You are provided with two sharpened pencils, and two blank sheets of paper, and I used one side of one sheet, just doing long division and multiplication for a few of the questions

Mechanical Comprehension: Similar to the math section, I didn't really prepare much for this part as I my job requires me to have a basic understanding of physics. I did look through the Barron's guide, and I don't remember seeing anything on the actual test that wasn't covered in the study guide. Once again, answered maybe 10 questions before being auto-completed.

As soon as you finish the last section, you will be shown your score. I ended up with a 73. My goal was a 70, so I was very pleased. I hope this will help someone prepare and feel confident for their SIFT test! If anything, I feel like I can move on now, so at least this helped me out. ;)

• Like 4