Not selected for WOFT - Advice on Options

Can anyone help? My life mission is to be a helicopter pilot. Here is my story.

After graduating from college and securing a job as a financial aid dept. counselor, I worked for four years and decided that the desk environment is just not for me. At 29, My lifelong goal of becoming a professional helicopter pilot was always lingering in the back of my mind. I visited a local Army Recruiter's Office and started working on my WOFT packet. I went through and passed the required aviation tests, a flight physical, and passing scores on a physical fitness test, an Officer application, letters of recommendation from three of my professors, my employer, and a couple Army Aviators I was introduced to, and a stack of other documents about inch thick pertaining to my past experiences and qualifications--not to mention my degree.

This process took about a year to complete. Once all had been signed off on, I was scheduled a meeting at battalion headquarters to be interviewed for Warrant Officer Candidacy. I was recommended from that board, which then sent my packet to Fort Rucker, AL for selection. I was told my packet couldn't have been any better. I was even asked if my "Why I Want To Be An Army Aviator" essay could be used as a template for the region. But alas, I was not selected for the July and September selection boards. My scores, were in line with most, varying only by a few points here and there, but out of 29 applicants, I was not one of them.

So, given the determine gent I am, I've started refreshing myself on Private Loans and Adult/Non-Traditional scholarships & grants to obtain my ratings at a local executive airport. Any helicopter pilot or enthusiast will tell you how difficult it is to find funding, and the minimum I'll need is $50k. There's no scholarships, virtually no schools are accredited, and if they're are, they require some ridiculous associates degree in order to receive Title IV aid (i.e. Stafford Loans, Pell Grant). And even then, you don't have enough money leftover after Freshman-level Staffords to pay for your ratings also. I just can't seem to find any other options.

My recruiter has offered me the option to go in as a normal Officer through OCS. I'm considering it as a definite option, and I'm well-aware of the benefits, but I don't want to get stuck in something that keeps me away from aviation and furthering my career goals. The commitment would be a total of four years, but would obviously give me a wealth of benefit by means of the G.I. Bill and tuition assistance.

Any advice for going either route would be much appreciated. I'd rather stay civilian, but I see how much the military offers.

• Like 1

If this is the route you truly want to take, well then the only advice I could give is stay motivated, stay focused, improve yourself and your packet anyways possible..... most of all..... Dont quit!!!

I work with a retired CW4 and he said he was looked at 6 times before being selected. He went on to have a great career in the Army and now he is flying super hueys for DOS

We'll I'd say try another branch but I believe you're over their age restriction.

Apply again. I too was FQ-NS twice. I got more college, more rank and my PPL. Didn't apply again until 5 yrs later. Got picked up at the same time I was accepted to a higher paying ATC job. Went with the Army and didn't look back.

If you had applied about 10 yrs ago you'd be in. Unfortunately the acceptance rates now are like they were in the 90s and probably worse.

JCWestberry

You have several options. Unfortunately due to your age, you're too old for the other military services for an active duty pilot slot. The AF Guard and Reserves are more forgiving at times regarding age.

Options:

1) reapply as mentioned.

2) Apply to OCS and submit an aviation package by the 3rd week in OCS. It's possible in being branched aviation. Not guaranteed but possible. Best site on Army OCS is armyocs dot com go figure.

JCWestberry

You have several options. Unfortunately due to your age, you're too old for the other military services for an active duty pilot slot. The AF Guard and Reserves are more forgiving at times regarding age.

Options:

1) reapply as mentioned.

2) Apply to OCS and submit an aviation package by the 3rd week in OCS. It's possible in being branched aviation. Not guaranteed but possible. Best site on Army OCS is armyocs dot com go figure.

Not entirely true on other branches...

The AF was accepting age waivers for qualified flight applicants. They were short on their recruiting and retention mission.

OP, also consider why you are joining. WO FLY. Line officers fly initially then transition into leadership roles (ie company command, XO, S shop), usually by CPT. So simply put, if you want to fly primarily go warrant. If you want to lead troops go officer.

Justine

Where did you hear the AF is granting waivers for flight applicants. That's very difficult to believe for active duty pilot slots. When the AF is short of rated positions, it could fall under any of 4 rated career fields.

1) Pilots

2) Combat System Officers

3) Air Battle Managers

4) Remote Piloted Vehicle Pilots.

Only pilots will sit in the driver's seat. The AF never has to beg for Pilots. It's normally the first choice. Why wouldn't you want to fly for an organization that's Commanded by Pilots. Flight suits, per diem and all. Ground pounders take a backseat in the AF where they should be.

Justine

Not quite yet. Which of my facts are incorrect? Don't mind in being set straight. Since the beginning of the AF in 1947, all AF Chief of Staffs have been Pilots.

If the AF desperately needs 800 new inexperienced fighter pilots, they could get them yesterday and that's from the Army aviator pool. You'll be surprised on the number of Army pilots that would love to make the transition. Especially in the A-10 which unfortunately the AF may no longer have in the near future due to budget cuts.

Justine

Not quite yet. Which of my facts are incorrect? Don't mind in being set straight. Since the beginning of the AF in 1947, all AF Chief of Staffs have been Pilots.

If the AF desperately needs 800 new inexperienced fighter pilots, they could get them yesterday and that's from the Army aviator pool. You'll be surprised on the number of Army pilots that would love to make the transition. Especially in the A-10 which unfortunately the AF may no longer have in the near future due to budget cuts.

AF standards are much more strict than Army. First and foremost you need a college degree. The roles of AF aviators are much different than ARMY as well as the way AF structures their organization.

Don't know what is going on with this thread, but the Air Force is not where it's at. My husband enlisted in Air Force in 1999 and I enlisted in the Air Force in 2006. The highest rank he got to was E-5 and the highest rank I got to was E-4. We both have college degrees and the Air Force didn't want us. I am now CPT in the Army and he has been selected for WOFT. Trust me, I wish the Air Force was a feasible option because it really is an easier life, but it's not.

MissLibertyBelle

For whatever reason, the AF can pick and choose the best in their eyes. Are they better than the Army, of course not. Their missions are totally different. The major difference I observed once crossing over into the blue is this. 90% of your Army combatants are enlisted whereas in the AF, 90% of the combatants are Officers, mainly aircrew. Two different management skill sets required in getting the job done.