Not selected for WOFT - Advice on Options

Not sure why there is even a discussion on the AF vs AR but Zarus is mostly correct.

AF is needing to keep experienced pilots. The bonus is for pilots already in, not new people coming in. Just like in 2002 we had an across the board bonus for 6-14 yrs flying experience in the Army. We had plenty of people wanting to come in so there's no point in offering them a bonus. We were also accepting everyone with waivers back then. Now, not so much.

Same as AF. I haven't read anything that says they have a recruiting problem. When you're washing out roughly15-20% of your students, you can bet they have plenty knocking at the door to give it a try. Oh yeah, for you Army hopefuls the washout rate is about 1-2 % so you're good. :)

As far as who runs the show in each branch? Yeah, the AF is going to have pilots dominating the higher echelon. That's common sense. Why is it hard to get money for Army aviation? Because we don't have pilots making budget decisions. Call it a good ole boy network or whatever but the simple fact is the ground guys far out number the pilots in the Army. Look at the Marines. Took a miracle to get Gen Amos in as Commandant and you've got everyone all up in arms because an aviator got the position.

Edited by Velocity173

The attrition rate is ridiculously low- we lost two people all the way through. One in primary and one in instruments. The class average was in the mid-ninties. Army flight school is designed for the students to succeed.

As for the USAF, I was in for 8 years. I had no issues getting promoted. It was a means to an end and it got me where I am now. I agree with Zaurus though- OTS is an uphill battle for enlisted. One year the selection rate for enlisted was 25-30 out of 800. The USAF would rather have college grads off the street. It's a better investment reference longevity. The average enlisted college grad is 25-27 (I was) and I already had 6-7 yrs of federal service. In the end they get more bang for their buck with a 21-22 year old who can give them 20 yrs as oppossed to the 12-13 yrs I could have given them.

Is the army washout rate really only 1-2% for pilot training? Guess I just assumed it would be higher.

As the older IPs would say "eliminations have been eliminated." Many get set back in training but rarely does someone get dropped from the program.

Just like AW stated above, I think we had maybe 1-2 drop when I was a student. As an IP at Lowe for almost 4 yrs, I think I saw only 1 drop. She had integrity issues outside of flying though.

I won't go into the procedures or should I say the politics in trying to get someone eliminated. As an IP you just work within the limitations you're given and do the best to send quality aviators to line units.

The option to go AF pilot/weapons officer is different for the OP than enlisted.

You go to OTS with a contract for those two billets. The OP could consider going to Marine OCS as well. They contract pilots 'street to seat' but their OCS is the gamble to go to. Going RA OCS and trying to go AV is also a gamble.

IMO if the OP wants to fly, reapply to 153A or go AF OTS.

Hey JC, what the hell happened here? I read all the posts and I was lost at the end of page one.

Back to your problem: It's up to you if you wanna try again for woft. But if you do, you need to take your whole "one inch" packet, a red marker, and start working on it.

What steps did you take to improve your packet after you were first time "non select"?

Can anyone get in? Or only selectees

It's not worth it. It's mainly a 15 series chat room so it's all the future mechanics and air traffic control guys asking questions about AIT. No WOFT chat at all basically. Anyway, it's only for future soldiers. You need an AKO login.