40 replies to this topic

#1 Jblack91

Jblack91

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:58

Hello everyone, I have been using this forum for research for some time now and this is my first post. May I start by saying it's been wonderful seeing the level of professionalism and the general sense of community that I have seen on this forum and I look forward to being a long time member.

Getting to the point, I have been looking for answers on what the proper format would be for a civilian writing a letter of recommendation for a civilian applicant as well as an active duty service member writing a letter for a civilian. It is my understanding that the standardized USAREC form for LOR's does not apply to civilians, would it be wise to mimic this format anyway? I have also found people suggesting a memo format for the letter, is there any merit to this advice? Lastly, who specifically should the letter be made to? I have seen "To whom it may concern" suggested, it seems logical to me but would something more specific be recommended?

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter and look forward to being an active member of this forum! Thank you for your time.

-Justin
  • Lethafje, aoocfthtagfnr, gollumelitenwo and 1 other like this

#2 Yamer

Yamer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Company working for:Army National Guard

Posted 16 October 2013 - 19:30

I recommend civilians using a professional letter type format with contact information listed on it. As for military members, they should use a memo format with their branches letterhead and contact information. It's your packet, make it the way you want it. That is just my .02.

"If one engine fails, how far can the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

#3 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 20:02

Hello everyone, I have been using this forum for research for some time now and this is my first post. May I start by saying it's been wonderful seeing the level of professionalism and the general sense of community that I have seen on this forum and I look forward to being a long time member.

Getting to the point, I have been looking for answers on what the proper format would be for a civilian writing a letter of recommendation for a civilian applicant as well as an active duty service member writing a letter for a civilian. It is my understanding that the standardized USAREC form for LOR's does not apply to civilians, would it be wise to mimic this format anyway? I have also found people suggesting a memo format for the letter, is there any merit to this advice? Lastly, who specifically should the letter be made to? I have seen "To whom it may concern" suggested, it seems logical to me but would something more specific be recommended?

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter and look forward to being an active member of this forum! Thank you for your time.

-Justin

PM me with your email address and I will send you my LORs. It's a healthy mix of both.

#4 Jblack91

Jblack91

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:52

PM'ed and thank you, I am planning to use my martial arts instructor, my flight instructor, an active duty Air Force fixed wing pilot (O3 or O4 I believe) and perhaps a CW2 fresh out of Rucker who I believe was an ex ranger. I know his rank won't pull the weight of a CW3 or higher but would you still consider it worth getting? I would think any aviation warrant officer would be better than no aviation warrant officer but I could be mistaken.

#5 redpatcher

redpatcher

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, CrossFit, Being a Marine
  • Company working for:USMCR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07

The CWO2 will definitely hold precedence over your martial arts instructor. To be honest, if you can get anyone more prominent, i.e. Doctor, lawyer go with that. Another thing that's been suggested here, call a local army base with a flight unit and see if you can schedule an interview with one of them to get a LOR.

"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

#6 Jblack91

Jblack91

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:17

I was wondering how one would go about doing that, just get a number for the base, call it up and start asking how to get in touch with senior warrant officers? I live in Florida, is there such a base in my state that anyone knows of? I will drive to Ft. Rucker if I have to but if I could find something closer it would be ideal.

#7 stearmann4

stearmann4

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:30

Take a look at Lindsey's letters. I would highly recommend using examples from members who were successfully selected as your base reference. You want letters from folks who can speak articulately on your leadership, physical, and aeronautical potential. Your Aviator LOR must be from a CW3 or above. remember the board has approximately 1:45 seconds to 2 minutes to review your entire packet. We're not going to read through 5 letters, we're going to pick one or two, read the first and last paragraph. 

Mike-

#8 Jblack91

Jblack91

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 21:23

Understood, thank you very much for the advice! From what I can find, the nearest army base with an aviation unit seems to be Ft. Stewart in Georgia, otherwise Ft. Rucker looks like it's not even two hours more to just drive there and surely SOMEONE there would be willing to interview me right? Is there a recommended way of approaching something like that? Who do I call?

Thank you for the help so far everyone, I am really eager to do whatever it takes to get this done, I am dead set on reaching this goal and the way I see it I have from whenever I can get my packet in until i turn 33 to get accepted! I am just having a hard time with the specifics on HOW in this particular area.

#9 d10

d10

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:59

Ask the CW2 you know to put you in touch with a higher ranking aviator.

#10 wm200

wm200

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:51

They really only look at your packet for 2 minutes?

#11 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:42

Yup. Part of the reason to for quality over quantity with LORs.

#12 Cantankerously

Cantankerously

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Flying fixed wing
  • Company working for:Green weenie

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:04

I think in my case that was a positive.  

#13 wm200

wm200

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:34

Kind of worries me because I have lots of lors and a bunch of photocopied logbook papers. I don't think you could get through much of it in 2 minutes.

#14 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:52

Kind of worries me because I have lots of lors and a bunch of photocopied logbook papers. I don't think you could get through much of it in 2 minutes.

I think the logbook pages is to verify you have the hours you claim you have on your resume. I'm not sure the USAREC board actually sees it (more of a quality control thing perhaps). Maybe stearmann4 can verify; I could easily be wrongness. Nevertheless you shouldn't be giving them a whole bunch of photocopied pages - just do the last page of your logbook.

Regarding the LORs, cut it down if you can. Select maybe your best 3 or 4 letters. Do you have one or two that are simply outstanding? If so, you don't want to clutter that with 5 other LORs that are just "good," because then you risk the board members skimming through a single "good" LOR rather than that outstanding CW5 letter that he just didn't see.

#15 wm200

wm200

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:05

I think the recruiting battalion makes it look all neat and has a page with all the test scores/apft/flight time. I didn't put my resume in my packet.

#16 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 20:43

I think the recruiting battalion makes it look all neat and has a page with all the test scores/apft/flight time. I didn't put my resume in my packet.

Why not?

#17 Ardo09203

Ardo09203

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Working, WOFT
  • Company working for:LA ARNG

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:13

Isn't it required?

#18 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:20

Isn't it required?

Technically it's optional but I am curious as to why one wouldn't include one in their packet.

#19 Cantankerously

Cantankerously

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Flying fixed wing
  • Company working for:Green weenie

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:29

Isn't it required?

I thought it was too...it's on the checklist

#20 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:30

I thought it was too...it's on the checklist

Yeah...as optional.

http://www.usarec.ar...requ/woft.shtml
  • Cantankerously likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeFreeFlight_Home200LakeSuperior200Genesys VR Forum 200Spectrum_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Guidance Home 200BLR 200