Letters of Recommendation for Civilians

Lindsey, have I told you, you're my hero? haha People like you scare me, because ultimately if we were in the same board selection, you're my competition. But seriously, good gouge. I've been reaching out to a lot of friends. My former Senior Drill Instructor is at an air station and thinks he can get me an interview with an 0-3 Marine pilot, so far the reaching out to your own network is working, but I may have to try the linkedin thing...

• Like 1

About the resume, is it just supposed to be a professional civilian type resume? My resume is not particularly impressive but I would think any resume shows you are willing to go a little extra with your packet.

Just wondering what part of Florida you are from. I'd be happy to meet up and go over stuff from my packet so you can get some ideas if you arent too far away.

Would anyone be willing to look at my resume or send me theirs? I wrote mine with the help of a college adviser but I've changed it a lot for this application.

Yup. Toss it my way.

• 5 weeks later...

I want an answer to this; Is there a difference between LORs from retired officers vs. those still active as far as how the board evaluates them? Four out of six of my letters are from officers (2 CW4 pilots, 1 USAF Col aviator, and 1 Army Major infantry) all are retired.

I hope I don't come off as if I'm lecturing anyone--that's not my intent. But hopefully it helps some of you who are just as in-the-dark as I was four years ago.

Lindsey, you absolutely do not come across that way. A lot of applicants have benefitted from your contributions here and your willingness to help is greatly appreciated.

I cant wait to hear about how your training is going. Now drop and give me 20!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This forum is really helpful. LOR's are the only thing that are racking on my nerves. The essay and resume are all going to be easy, not to toot my own whistle. (I'm an English major). I just started doing LinkedIn today. Hopefully I'll be able to find a few CW's for my LOR's. I have a couple of Doctorate professors for professional references.

My recruiter told me he would try to get me in for the January Boards. We only started my stuff this week. I have done my MEPS (passed with flying colors). ASVAB will be next week hopefully. The previous time I took an off-record test, I received an 89. Then the SIFT. My security clearance looks good.

I'm not in any hurry. I told my recruiter I was patient enough to wait for a later date, but he said if I would be willing to do everything in a short time. And I said yes.

The problem right now is the MEPS packet. Navy recruiter for OCS is holding it right now until he gets an answer from some board. Not sure which. Just has to do if I am physically able to fly.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering what part of Florida you are from. I'd be happy to meet up and go over stuff from my packet so you can get some ideas if you arent too far away.

Sort of necroposting my own thread but it is a shame I didn't see this, my packet is most of the way done now! thank you for offering though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 10/16/2013 at 6:02 PM, Lindsey said:

PM me with your email address and I will send you my LORs. It's a healthy mix of both.

Hi Lindsey,

My name is Michael. I am currently a SGT at the 641st EOD Ordnance Company. I am currently putting together a Chief Warrant Flight Officer packet. Would you mind sharing your letters of recommendation with me. I have a handful of people that I plan to get LORs from, two of which are retired fixed-wing Captain's in the Navy, one a retired FBI Special Agent, one an active Merchant Marine Captain and lastly a current Major in the Department of Investigative Forensic Services. Would you also recommend that I try to contact a flight unit in Fort Rucker to see if I can get an interview from a CWO or an officer? 

Thank you for any advice and help you can offer.

Very respectfully,

Michael

15 hours ago, Michael Twomey said:

Hi Lindsey,

My name is Michael. I am currently a SGT at the 641st EOD Ordnance Company. I am currently putting together a Chief Warrant Flight Officer packet. Would you mind sharing your letters of recommendation with me. I have a handful of people that I plan to get LORs from, two of which are retired fixed-wing Captain's in the Navy, one a retired FBI Special Agent, one an active Merchant Marine Captain and lastly a current Major in the Department of Investigative Forensic Services. Would you also recommend that I try to contact a flight unit in Fort Rucker to see if I can get an interview from a CWO or an officer? 

Very respectfully,

Michael

this thread is from 6 years ago...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Michael Twomey said:

Hi Lindsey,

Very respectfully,

Michael

You need a letter from an aviation warrant officer. FBI agents, merchant marine and forensic investigators sound cool but they aren't pilots and don't have any real knowledge or experience with which to provide a meaningful recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Thedude said:

You need a letter from an aviation warrant officer. FBI agents, merchant marine and forensic investigators sound cool but they aren't pilots and don't have any real knowledge or experience with which to provide a meaningful recommendation. 

he is right, and you being ad need alot of chain of command letters on top of lor, if you where civ thos lor would work, they arent looking for pilot lor in civ apps

13 minutes ago, Michael Twomey said:

What if I don't know any CWO/officer helicopter pilots? How are they suppose to honestly speak on my behalf?

Would you recommend I try to contact an aviation wing here in Fort Rucker to setup an interview? 

yes or some ng avaition branch, but also you arent civ 

33 minutes ago, Michael Twomey said:

What if I don't know any CWO/officer helicopter pilots? How are they suppose to honestly speak on my behalf?

Would you recommend I try to contact an aviation wing here in Fort Rucker to setup an interview? 

Yes, get in contact with someone in an aviation unit near you. If you're at Rucker that's as easy as going to the shoppette and talking to a CW4/5 that walks past. Have your packet complete including recommendations from your chain of command prior to doing that.