How to get hired at PHI or ERA?

gunmonkey

How long does it usually take to get on with PHI? I have been waiting for two months... is that usual? Can I expect it to take much longer? I have over 5000 hours of turbine rotary wing experience, which I think should be enough? I don't know how long I should expect to wait for an answer. I also have an application in with ERA and I wouldn't mind getting on with them in their SAR mission. Either one would be great at this point. I have a passion for flying and I am eager to get on in the GoM. Can anyone give me any guidance?

What does PHI and ERA stand for?

PHI- Petroleum Helicopters Inc.

ERA- Era Helicopters LLC

Both are primarily involved in off shore support and air medical services. (Both have other smaller business segments/units involved in other services)

Edited by HeliFun

PHI- Petroleum Helicopters Inc.

ERA- Era Helicopters LLC

Both are primarily involved in off shore support and air medical services. (Both have other smaller business segments/units involved in other services)

A few years ago PHI was Petroleum Helicopters Inc. but has changed their name to PHI, Inc.

From their web site:

PHI, INC.

PHI, Inc. is one of the world’s leading helicopter services companies. Known industry wide for the relentless pursuit of safe, reliable helicopter transportation, PHI offers services to the offshore Oil and Gas, onshore mining, International, Air Medical, and Technical Services industries.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. You guys use a lot of acronyms that I don't understand yet haha. I'm trying to adjust to world of helis. I just started training so I'm trying to absorber as much info as I can.

Yes, knowing about a company history (in any industry) should be a prerequisite for getting through an interview. Not knowing can break it.

As for RLC hiring SICs at 500, I don't know how many SICs are needed at a company that has very few two pilot operations. It can be a dubious proposition to find yourself pigeon holed in a position with very few outs. I generally recommend stacking the cards in your favor and make yourself as employable as possible instead of trying to squeak in at the mins. (Get 100 hours of night before you leave flight instruction.)

Yes, knowing about a company history (in any industry) should be a prerequisite for getting through an interview. Not knowing can break it.

As for RLC hiring SICs at 500, I don't know how many SICs are needed at a company that has very few two pilot operations. It can be a dubious proposition to find yourself pigeon holed in a position with very few outs. I generally recommend stacking the cards in your favor and make yourself as employable as possible instead of trying to squeak in at the mins. (Get 100 hours of night before you leave flight instruction.)

What about PICs at 500?

Those days are kinda far behind us. It depends on a company's priorities. Do they want to pay for experience or would they rather not have to pay that premium. That can be a big litmus test for a company. Additionally, in those 500 hours, the pilot would have to have the part 135 requirements met as well as compete against applicants with 10x the hours.

ERA also has a fairly detailed history on the company and how their name evolved. Knowing that history may be one rung up on the stack of applicants.

Thanks for that advice. I read up on their history and I feel like I can speak somewhat intelligently about it now. I still can't get an interview, though.

It may sound crazy, but I really want a job flying in the Gulf.

• 4 weeks later...

RLC looking for "Minimum of 1000 helicopter flight hours" accocrding to their website. With preference given to those with turbine and offshore time.

I resemble that remark.

I hope almost two years of my life spent haze gray and underway on ships counts as "offshore."

I think your overwater time would certainly be considered favorably. They are looking for exactly that type of experience... flying in low viz with few visual references and landing on platforms, either moving or stationary. My Army time has very little in common with your experience although flying night system in lousy weather (or flying night system at all) should count, in my humble opinion.

I have an old Army buddy that went Air Force and flew Ospreys. He got hired straight into flying S-92s for PHI.

I think that if you meet the experience requirements you have a good chance at getting hired, so be patient.

What are the chances if you don't have the 100 hours of unaided they're looking for?

Don't think they care too much about this for light ships in the GOM. Their minimums also state 300 multi engine time to fly lights in the Gulf, I know for a fact that is not required.