How to get hired at PHI or ERA?

gunmonkey

Flying pig, I have no idea what for. We do seem short of pilots. There's not always a spare when 1 is needed. I don't know where they went. They've been hiring like this since spring I think.

The 100hrs night requirement is so you can get your atp that some of the big ship customers require someday. All other atp requirements you can get in the gom. I don't know if not having it is a big deal but it's all about what shell and bp want. Even for those that don't fly for them.

My problem is all my night time is aided... I've got 25 unaided... I probably have a lot more unaided, but it wasn't logged. We always just went from Day to NVG, even if we were flying after sunset/before sunrise, but it wasn't dark enough for goggles, yet. What happens when other people log your flights in the military, and you're not keeping a close eye for civilian requirements... oops.

Edited by CharyouTree

I have been waiting for two months... is that usual? Can I expect it to take much longer?

I think that if you meet the experience requirements you have a good chance at getting hired, so be patient.

If you really want to work there you can't be patient. Applying for a civilian job is different than the military, you can't just submit your "packet" and see what happens. You have to go after a job. I'll give you the best advice I was given when I was looking for a job, "You have to call them to the point of being almost annoying". I was getting no calls from the resume so I changed my tactics, I started calling every week. This has worked for the last two jobs and I got hired at the companies I wanted to work for. The first time I kept calling the chief pilot and I could tell he was getting a little tired of hearing from me and was telling me they had a lot of pilots to consider. After two months and and probably 7 calls he called back and offered an interview with very little notice, I jumped on a plane and got the job. He later actually thanked me for being persistent, I guess it made his job just a little bit easier when trying to make a quick decision on a last minute interview slot - why not call the guy who really wants to work here and will show up.

If you haven't done so, find a number for the HR person call them and tell them you want to work there, your experience and ask when can you come in for an interview. You might be surprised. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• Like 5

PHI and ERA are two of the larger operators. Air Log is the other one. There are several smaller operators out there, and they tend to go in and out of business. If you're serious about flying offshore, one of the big 3 is the way to go.

Is Air Log not known as Bristow US now?

• 3 weeks later...

Era is currently hiring, Phi has openings time to time. Bristow(previously known as Air Logistics) not hiring currently but probably in the new year. Send you CV and stay on them. That means call, email, stop in if poss. Squeaky wheel gets the grease! There is also Westwind,Panther and some others but but from being down there for many years I'd prolly steer clear of the ones that require or required 500hrs. If you catch my drift. But again the requirements very and are a lot higher than they were 5 years ago. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

ERA has explained that for legal reasons they dump their database monthly. JSfirm will post their applications on usually the 6th of every month. I received an offer to interview after several months of trying, yet still was receiving the automated rejection email, so obviously a highly automated process. PHI has also gone to a web based system. Just keep Applying!

• 4 weeks later...

PHI is an "awesome" company to work for. Excellent. Great equipment. Outstanding maintenance.

:)

ERA has Explained That For Legal Reasons They Dump Their Database Monthly. I Kept Applying Every Month And Finally Received An Interview But Was Still Receiving The Canned Rejection Email Even Afterwards. Obviously A Highly Automated system. Just Keep Applying!J

If you capitalized the first letter of every word in your resume that may have something to do with it. Kind of painful to read.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if PHI or RLC will hire pilots (PIC or SIC) initially to work out of their Galveston bases? (Particularly if they have around 3,000 hours, their ATP, and an S-70 type rating.) Or is it better to plan to work a few years out of the Louisiana area first?

Galveston doesn't have a whole lot going on. As a new hire in light ship you probably won't end up there. I don't think they even have a spare over there anymore. If you hire on sic with your experience you might get assigned to cover something while you're new if it's in your nexk of the woods. However you most likely won't get assigned a permanent spot over there until you bid on a contract over there and win. However jobs are awarded by senority and as a new guy you have none. Plus galveston is a more desired base to be is. Basically this is the long version of what Pohi said.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have been trying to get hired on with Era for a few months. I keep getting the "Thanks but no thanks" letter. I'm a prior Naval heli pilot with over 2000 flight hours, about 1200 helicopter PIC (1500 total PIC) and 1000+ take-off and landings from ships, which I logged as offshore. My issue is I haven't flow professionally since 07, but I am current. I actually just did my BFR a few weeks ago. I plan on getting my IPC done in the next week or two (as long as the weather holds out here in Indiana).

My question how can I make myself more employable with Era or any other offshore company?

Era discards their resumes at the end of the month or after they have been on file for 30 days (I can't recall which), make sure you apply through the application portal on their website and that you are applying for the correct position and most importantly, that you meet all of their listed minimum requirements. If there is a "must have" that you don't meet, it automatically gets filtered. If you are very close on an area, honestly, I'd round up to that and note it somewhere in a text field. Assuming you are very close and that you excel in some other area, you can't be under on all, and some are very firm based on contract requirements.

Edited by C of G